Contribute
Register

Guaranteed No-Fan-Spin AMD card?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Card arrived today, plopped in fine. Not even touched my clover yet coming from nVidia 1050ti... however I enabled freesync in windows and now my LG ultrawide (only 1080p) looks like ****. I can see like white around all the black text... hard to describe but something has changed and it looks overly sharp now.. it must be a monitor setting but I can't find it now. Perhaps I'll get used to it.

It's idle at around 45-50 degrees according to HWmonitor... had a little RE2 benchmark in Windwos and came back, a little high for my liking, cpu idle at 31, but it is cramped in there now. A huge noctua heatsink right next to the card, right next to my PCIe RME RayDAT sound card...

I don't have time to go balls-deep right now but perhaps over the weekend I will do a fresh install to mojave, but I can definitely hear fan noise. It's not nuts but if the vbios is set to turn on fans at 50 then I'll have to work on it because it hops around 50 at the moment.

Last thing, I have my Intel 530 graphics set up as headless at the moment, is it worth just sacking that off now I have this 580, or should I leave it set up? Seems to work fine but I doubt it's using both together.

Cheers for the insight guys!

Just thought I'd come back to say after a fresh install on Mojave, things are working really well.

My export times for h264 have gone from 45 minutes for a 1hr clip to 12 minutes with Apple Hardware h264 enabled. Sustaining such an operation and the card is only at 55 degrees, it does seem 60 is the magic number for fan spin. I think my new fan spin is potentially my PSU, it's only 500w.

There's only two problems I am experiencing:

1. Pink glitches on boot screen, have read this is just how it is

2. Trying to watch an 8k 60fps video from youtube creates stutters at very regular intervals about one every three seconds. Not sure if it's VP9 or something like that, but it was doing this on High Sierra and on this fresh boot. I mean, I have a 1080p screen so I don't mind it was more of just a benchmark. It could also be bottleneck of my system, i7 6700k, 16GB RAM, all CPUs hit 100% and the card doesn't seem to be doing much on the meters.

but apart from that everything is great. All three screens (1xDP, 2xHDMI) are working a treat, and Final Cut Pro is a lot faster.

Highly recommend jumping ship from nVidia if you're waiting, and if like me you're worried about the noise, don't be. Using Pro Tools all day, no extra fan noise from the card. I can now hear it come to a complete stop as soon as Mac OS Login Screen shows up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back