Graphics
Asus GTX 970 Strix
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hi guys, hopefully someone will have a clue on this as it's now driving me slightly nuts.

I've just put an Asus GTX970 Strix in my fully up to date and working Yosemite install with the latest NVidia web driver. Everything works fine (barring one or two rather glitchy moments which I haven't yet been able to replicate, assuming driver calamity), except I get no GPU information in HWMonitor from GPUSensors in FakeSMC.

The system.log isn't particularly enlightening, other than the following line:

Code:
GeForceSensors (pci2): [Fatal] unknown chipset, 0x124020a1

The card is being detected properly elsewhere, System Report shows everything you would expect, including correct name, ids, memory, etc.

Now, having trawled all the Maxwell oriented threads on these boards, there are definitely people using this card without problems..

I've so far tried every combination of available NV driver, recent FakeSMC versions and viable SMBios settings - makes no difference, every boot just reports unknown chipset. I'm also on an older i7-920 so IGFX doesn't come into play at all, my previous GTX460 worked flawlessly on the exact same setup (though obviously completely different chipset :)).

Anyone have any bright ideas? Appreciate any help............

Wait for an update to FakeSMC/HWMonitor

Hi,

I have exact the same card but I got stuck in boot time for the
GeForceSensors (pci1): [Fatal] unknown chipset
error and the system was hung. I tried GraphicsEnabler=Yes/No, -x but all in vain. If I use my HD4600 onboard video to boot, I was not able to install web driver.. :(

How would you install the web driver in the first place?

Thanks for the help!

Hi,

I have exact the same card but I got stuck in boot time for the
GeForceSensors (pci1): [Fatal] unknown chipset
error and the system was hung. I tried GraphicsEnabler=Yes/No, -x but all in vain. If I use my HD4600 onboard video to boot, I was not able to install web driver.. :(

How would you install the web driver in the first place?

Thanks for the help!

Found the solution. Boot with nv_disable=1 to boot and install web driver, and then use nvda_drv=1 afterwards.

I've followed this thread exactly but this is what's going down for me:
http://imgur.com/Xvq4ESZ
So I can get into my computer but I don't know how to enable the graphics card.
Here is the verbose output and confirmation of web driver installation:

http://i.imgur.com/jcYjtGl.png

http://i.imgur.com/KRsW3uc.png

Hey swelly here is what i Did to get my 970 recognized as we have VERY similar hardware :)

first install your web drivers just as you did but after you do, Dont restart.

First go into finder and go to the folder /extra , then find the Chameleon.plist open it.

Make sure the following text is there if it is not ADD IT
<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string>kext-dev-mode=1 nvda_drv=1 GraphicsEnabler=No</string>

Hope this helps :thumbup:

P.S contact me if you got any other issues and if this does not work

Ahhhh this is so frustrating!! You're advice was dead on and I was up and running last night and this morning. But just now, I let my computer go to sleep and couldn't wake it so I had to reset it. After the reset... the card wasn't being found anymore. I went through a reset which was slightly different. Found here:

In the drop down of driver selection, select default OSX drivers. Use kext wizard to rebuild kext cache and repair permissions. Reboot and start with PCIRootUID=1 npci=0x2000 nvda_drv=1 -v and tell me if that works. -via an awesome Redditor

Anyways, it worked! Booted straight into yosemite with the GTX970 working. But... I lost audio. I still haven't gotten it back and managed to mess up the GTX again. Going through a total reinstall and I can't seem to get the audio back :(

Ahhhh this is so frustrating!! You're advice was dead on and I was up and running last night and this morning. But just now, I let my computer go to sleep and couldn't wake it so I had to reset it. After the reset... the card wasn't being found anymore. I went through a reset which was slightly different. Found here:

In the drop down of driver selection, select default OSX drivers. Use kext wizard to rebuild kext cache and repair permissions. Reboot and start with PCIRootUID=1 npci=0x2000 nvda_drv=1 -v and tell me if that works. -via an awesome Redditor

Anyways, it worked! Booted straight into yosemite with the GTX970 working. But... I lost audio. I still haven't gotten it back and managed to mess up the GTX again. Going through a total reinstall and I can't seem to get the audio back :(

Found the solution in another thread. Switched to imac 14,2 from Mac Pro 3,1 :crazy:

Found the solution. Boot with nv_disable=1 to boot and install web driver, and then use nvda_drv=1 afterwards.

You are the best! After replacing my GTX 460 SE with a GTX 960 and having to update my UEFI BIOS to U1C I was stuck for the last 2 days getting my Hackintosh to boot. This flag got me to my desktop so now I can try installing the web driver. At least I can now get in. Thanks so much!

For the solution to the initial question of the thread, the Slice branch of HWsensors has some progress on the support of the Maxwell chipsets. On my 970 I get temperature and frequency scaling as they should (incorrect frequencies in iStats menu but correct in HWmonitor).

http://sourceforge.net/projects/hwsensors3.hwsensors.p/files/?source=navbar

And the extract of my boot log:
16/02/2015 21:43:50,000 kernel[0]: GeForceSensors: GeforceSensors by kozlek (C) 2012
16/02/2015 21:43:50,000 kernel[0]: GeForceSensors: found 13c2 Nvidia chip
16/02/2015 21:43:50,000 kernel[0]: GeForceSensors (0): chipset: GM204 (NV124) bios: 84.04.2f.00
16/02/2015 21:43:50,000 kernel[0]: GeForceSensors (0): started

Also I couldn't boot until I removed the NVClockX.kext which I set as part of the installation. For now I have ACPIMonitor.kext, FakeSMC.kext, GeforceSensor.kext (checked the new nvidia card bow in the install), HWinfo.kext, IntelCPUMonitor.kext, ITEIT87x.kext.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back