Contribute
Register

GTX960 HDMI 2.0 - 4K TV - 30hz only - how to get 60hz?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can confirm the latest pixelClockPatch worked for me. Simple as running two commands. I bought ridiculously expensive HDMI 2.0 cable (which is thick as hell btw) and it works beautifly now. I am a happy man today. :)

Hi all,
Apologies if this is resolved somewhere else, but I've searched high and low, but can't seem to resolve.

I have the following system:

Intel i7 3770
Asus P8Z77-v Deluxe Motherboard
16Gb Ram
250Gb SSD ( Corsair )
Asus Nvidia GTX960 4Gb Ram ( the Strix GTX960-DC2OC-4GD5 )

My Hackintosh is a Unibeast build 10.10.3 (14D131) - hardware profile set to iMac 13,2, and was working perfectly with my GTX660 and Asus P278q monitor, but I upgraded the card, and also bought a 4K 42" TV with HDMI inputs.

I'm using the Nvidia web drivers 346.01.02f01 and whilst everything is working fine, I can't for the life of me get it to run at 3840 x 2160 @ 60hz. I can only get it to run at 30hz max.

I have tried SwitchResX to no avail.

I also tried the Mac Pixel Clock Patcher, and thought i had found the solution, but when i go to SwitchResX and make a custom res of 3840 x 2160 @ 60hz ( or 50hz ) it just goes black screen.

I know my card is definitely HDMI 2.0, and I *assume* my TV being a 4K TV would be HDMI 2.0 - but there is no specific mention anywhere i can find ( it's this TV - http://www.bauhn.com.au/product-listing/42-ultra-hd-led-tv ).

I'm going to call the TV manufacturer on Monday, but wanted to see if anyone here had other thoughts on how I might go about enabling 60hz.

30Hz i'm noticing issues like - it sucks, mouse pointer is lagging, and it just doesn't look 'crisp'.

Other than that, having a 42" display is insanely cool - if only I could get 60hz I'd be soo happy!

Hope someone wiser than I has some thoughts.

Cheers

Seb

Yeah, how much did you spend on that? If the answer isn't thousands, it probably can't accept a 60HZ signal. You don't mention the television specs at all. After checking their site, they don't have meaningful specs either. Looking at the prices it is your television! LoL! I agree that 30HZ sucks, it is terrible, hard to image people pay good money to watch 24HZ at movie theaters. There are a lot of expensive 4K UHD that can't do 60HZ either, the television industry is guilty of shoving products out the door without getting all of the problems worked out, again! And you didn't question why it was so affordable. Sorry dude, it's the tv!

That would be awesome to have a screen that big with OS X and HiDP mode.

Can confirm the latest pixelClockPatch worked for me. Simple as running two commands. I bought ridiculously expensive HDMI 2.0 cable (which is thick as hell btw) and it works beautifly now. I am a happy man today. :)

Would you tell me the two commands, please? Maybe I am doing it wrong.

FWIW, no luck with the pixel clock patching. I believe it relates to some odd issues I'm having with SIP, that basically I'm unable to disable it in recovery mode. I run the disable command, it says its disabled. I reboot, check the status, and find that the custom SIP settings (initially found in the recovery mode) are what they were before. :-S The only thing I can think of is that this somehow connects back to Tony's Unibeast setup, where it was noted that SIP has some custom settings.

With that said, I have found that setting my UN40JU7100 to use a given HDMI port as a DVI/PC connection allows me to get 3840x2160 @ 60Hz and 4:4:4 chroma using an HDMI cable. This setting also gives me more workable resolutions in my display preferences as well as some nice HiDPI options when they have been enabled in the OS. I'm able to get 2560x1440 and even 1920x1080 in HiDPI, which makes them very workable and crisp. The "low resolution" iterations of these resolutions, as you would expect, show up a bit blurry. It seems that the system has more issues with sleep with the HDMI port, so I'm going to see how it flies with a DVI to HDMI cable (which I can get 3840x2160 with as well).

Just curious, any chance you could swap in the old cable to see if it still works after the patch?

[SUP]this is what i got
[/SUP]detected unpatched IOKit
but i didn't get patching your nvidia blah blah blah
what I'm suppose to get is THIS
detected unpatched IOKit and NVIDIA driver on (your OS X version) and patch it.

but i don't get any of this. what should i do? i got everything compatible. i even bought a new motherboard everything is working natively sound, wifi and display and audio through all the hdmi's but i cant get 6-hz at 4k is killing me!!!

and yes i disabled SIP

i know what is wrong now. it says patching IOkit but it doesn't say anything about the nvidia web driver. that means we gotta patch the nvidia. but how???

here is the reply of the man floris!! according to this user.

Update: I used your new patch (10.11.1 support). After executing the .command file I received the following message in terminal:
Detected unpatched IOKit on 10.11, patching.
Password:
/System/Library/Frameworks/IOKit.framework/Versions/A/IOKit: replacing existing signature

I presume that this is a success!?

Floris497 commented on Oct 1, 2015

Partly, now you need to patch the Nvidia driver, you can either do that by pasting in you md5 of the 10.11 Nvidia file, the script now supports only 10.10.5 and 10.11.1, i will add 10.11 support when my other machine is done updating. (you can wait of try it yourself)
On a side note, i assume you were replacing the IOKit using finder, i already told you how to do it now, but in case you want to know, The finder needs IOKit to do the replacement, if you delete the file first, it does not have the capability to rename the other file anymore. and you run into all other kinds of issues. this needs to be done in a single move. so you should always use the 'mv' command.

i don't know how to do that. somebody heeeeeeeelp!!

if someone knows how to do this, please explain step by step!! thanks!!!

12-14-2015...
The Code above does NOT work. Floris497 will provide a working Code in a few days. I am looking forward on his work.

Hi @Floris497,

Any chance you could update the patch script to include the NVIDIA driver patch for 10.11.2 (or 10.11.3 for that matter)? Alternatively if you publish instructions for how to do it then I can do so.

Regards,
Joe

I have used the pixel patch v2.0 with GTX 970 and no luck :( 4k @60hz works perfectly in Windows, was anyone successful with this card on their hackintosh?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back