Contribute
Register

GTX660 - GPU Enabling - Adobe Premiere Pro CS5 - KUDA?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
i5
CPU
Graphics
N/A
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hi guys,

I've managed to get my GTX660 2GB working fine on my Mountain Lion unit using the official Nvidia 10.8.2 drivers.

All seems to be well except when I try and use Adobe Premiere Pro for video editing, the play back seems to be very slow and when I apply effects it doesn't seem to cope very well. I've had a look around on Google and it seems to be down to the 'GPU Enabling' from what I can work out? It looks like Premiere Pro is trying to play it back using the onboard rather than my GTX660?

I've had a look online and I managed to find this information but I just wondered if anyone had similar issues with their GTX6XXX Series of cards? Is it an issue with OpelGL or anything or something I can enable in Multibeast or update?

Let me know your thoughts, thanks!

NOTE: We have NOT tested the unlock on the Mac system. We have had a couple of users tell us this is how they unlocked there video card on their Mac systems. If you find something incorrect with the Mac instructions, please drop us an email with the correct information.

Please understand, I do not have access to a Mac, so I can't help you if you have a problem. I am sorry about that.

1) Install Premiere CS5 first.

2) Install the latest CUDA drivers for Snow Lepoard

2) Once installed, go to System Preferences / CUDA and accept the update, IF THERE IS ONE.

3) Intall the latest Nvidia Drivers.

4 ) Find out the Name of your video card from Premiere

5) Open a terminal emulator (NOTE: you may need Root Access)

5A) Go to the spotlight, type TERMINAL, press enter.

Most of the time, for standard installations, the following should work.

5B) Now on the terminal type:

/Applications/Adobe\ Premiere\ Pro\ CS5/Adobe\ Premiere\ Pro\ CS5.app/Contents/GPUSniffer.app/Contents/MacOS/GPUSniffer

The "uppercased" words might be different for your instalation of CS5, find out yours, do not just simply copy and paste.

If you need to look for the actual place where premiere was installed, type:

/Applications/FOLDER\ FOR\ PREMIERE/PRO\ INSTALLATION\ Pro\ HERE/SOMETHING\ Premiere\ Pro\ CS5.app/Contents/GPUSniffer.app/Contents/MacOS/GPUSniffer

6) You get an output similar to Step 5 under the Windows section.

If it says somewhere that CUDA devices have been found you are lucky and you can use this capability.

7) Look for the name of the video card as you would in step 5 under the Windows section.

8) DO NOT CLOSE THE TERMINAL

9) Now let’s add your card to the list of supported cards.

10) On the terminal type:

sudo nano /Applications/Adobe\ Master\ Collection/Adobe\ Premiere\ Pro\ CS5/Adobe\ Premiere\ Pro\ CS5.app/Contents/cuda_supported_cards.txt

A new window appears, here, simply type in the name of the video card that you got from following step 7 just above.

11) Now Press CTRL + X
ANSWER "Y" (stands for YES, I want to save the file)
Press enter until you get out of the editor.

12) Now start follow steps 28 through 30 under the Windows section.

UPDATE:
The latest GPU drivers are confirmed to work and it is a recommended update.

Hi,
Just for info, I have installed CUDA now for my GTX 660. I did a test with a 30 minute encode of video before and after with Toast Titanium 11. Test before installing CUDA - encode took 13 minutes. Test after CUDA install - encode takes 7 minutes.

Hey Danosborne661,

If you have gone through the below and it isn't working, I recommend installing the CUDA 5 update downloadable from the NVIDIA site. It worked for me. If you haven't gone that far the below might help.

I haven't tried your listed method below as you don't need to go through Terminal at all (*cough), but enabling a GTX 6xxx series does work with CS5 and CS6. I'm currently running CS6 with a GTX 670 and have enabled hardware acceleration in both Premiere and After Effects. I've used the same method to enable different NVIDIA and AMD cards on several Mac machines also though only NVIDIA on CS5 as it doesn't have the OpenCL support of CS6 required for AMD Cards. I've also tested on L & ML with positive results but haven't had a chance to test SL properly yet.

The way to get it to work without touching Terminal is:

1. Ctrl Click on the Premier application icon and select Show Package Contents
  2. *Optional step: If you don't know what your GPU is identified as or if you want to double check you will need Terminal :think: but it's easy. Ctrl Click GPU Sniffer and open Control/MacOS/GPUSniffer. This will launch Terminal and when it finishes you will see the name of your GPU and that it is not currently CUDA enabled. Copy the full name of the GPU for later.
  3. Locate the cuds_supported_cards.txt file in the first folder you opened (Premiere/Show Package Contents) and press Cmd I. Unlock the permissions padlock and give everyone Read & Write access.
  4. Close the info window and double click on the cuds_supported_cards.txt file.
  5. Type your GPU name (or paste if you did the optional step 2)
  6. Save and Close
  7. Open Premiere and pass through the usual screens until your project and all windows are open.
  8. Click on the top Project --> Project Settings --> General menu
  9. Under the Video Rendering and Playback subheader change MPE Software Only to MPE GPU Acceleration (CUDA)
  10. You should now notice most effects will have a Yellow line under the timeline rather than Red when they are first added and some increase in Playback speeds. You won't see an increase in final output speed when exporting your Media

For CS6 you can follow the same steps but you have the added benefit of being able to alter the opencl_supported_cards.txt if you want to add a different AMD card or use OpenCL rather than CUDA. You can also follow the same steps to enable Ray Tracing in CS6 AfterEffects by altering the raytracer_supported_cards.txt file. This really helps playback speeds in AfterEffects.

Thank you all, when I'm home this evening I'll give that Nvidia Kuda update a shot. That sound's like the first obvious solution, if not I'll go from there :)

Once the Kuda driver is installed I shouldn't have a problem skimming through my clip and playing it back should I? At the moment it's a slooow!

Installed CUDA :D

It's coming up in System Preferences so all should be well, here's a screen shot below of my Graphics options in System report. Is there anything else I should do to make sure I'm getting the BEST out of my GTX660? After paying out for it, I want to make sure it is working as well as it can

Screen Shot 2012-11-06 at 18.59.25.png

Followed your steps r_3 now I have GPU rendering enabled but I am getting issues in Premiere Pro now. Instead of previewing a clip it shows a yellow box saying 'Media pending' in multiple languages (Or just black), I can still hear the play back though. Also when I exit Premiere Pro my system is now freezing, the cursor will freeze for 5 seconds move for 1 second and so on so I have to force shut down.

There also seems to be a red cross in the bottom right, when I click it theres a message saying DoClose?

EDIT: Downloading Premiere Pro (5.0.2) update which apparently fixes a lot of Cuda issues :)

Installed CUDA :D

It's coming up in System Preferences so all should be well, here's a screen shot below of my Graphics options in System report. Is there anything else I should do to make sure I'm getting the BEST out of my GTX660? After paying out for it, I want to make sure it is working as well as it can

View attachment 37324

Followed your steps r_3 now I have GPU rendering enabled but I am getting issues in Premiere Pro now. Instead of previewing a clip it shows a yellow box saying 'Media pending' in multiple languages (Or just black), I can still hear the play back though. Also when I exit Premiere Pro my system is now freezing, the cursor will freeze for 5 seconds move for 1 second and so on so I have to force shut down.

There also seems to be a red cross in the bottom right, when I click it theres a message saying DoClose?

EDIT: Downloading Premiere Pro (5.0.2) update which apparently fixes a lot of Cuda issues :)
In your specific case (just released video card) it would be more effective to move to CS6.

CS5 is too outdated and Adobe does not bother to release any updates for years for CS5 on Mac, nothing since 1st release of Lion (10.7).

Ok cheers buddy, I'll go ahead and do that and let you know.

Thanks all for your help so far :)

Thanks for the below, cuda now added and Premiere Pro CS6 is SO much better using my GTX660 :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back