Contribute
Register

GTX570 kexts and drivers, are they necessary post install?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hi all,

When I installed using multi beast, it seams to support the GTX570 out of the box, but do I still need to install the os86x GTX570 kext and driver bundle too, or is that no longer needed in order to get fast acceleration ? :crazy:

I already installed the Nvidia mac driver to get full resolutions. Seems to work well.

Many thanks in advance,
Chris

I'd like to know the answer to this as well!

Install the OpenCL Enabler from Multibeast.

the Nvidia drivers included in Lion already support the 500 series cards. however there is a good chance they don't have your card's device ID in the driver's Info.plist. I'm not sure if multibeast simply installs an updated kext with an Info.plist that covers most of the device IDs.

you'll also need to boot with GraphicsEnabler set to Yes to get it fully accelerated.

SG- said:
the Nvidia drivers included in Lion already support the 500 series cards. however there is a good chance they don't have your card's device ID in the driver's Info.plist. I'm not sure if multibeast simply installs an updated kext with an Info.plist that covers most of the device IDs.

you'll also need to boot with GraphicsEnabler set to Yes to get it fully accelerated.

How do I set that to yes, in the boot.plist in the root? Didn't know this. Thanks for the info, I'll go searching how to do this.

Cheers,
Chris

Mate94 said:
Install the OpenCL Enabler from Multibeast.
When I install it from Multibeast, do I just click on that option only, since I ticked the other options when I made the change the first time, or do I have to tick them all again? Also, what happens if I can't re-boot, as I'm in the middle of a project now and that would be completely devastating. Unfortunately, am out of space to clone the entire drive now first.

Many thanks!
Chris

Follow the Blog post here http://tonymacx86.blogspot.com/2012/03/ ... d-5xx.html

If all you do is that and nothing else you should be fine with no issues. If you are worried and everything is running ok right now then finish your project and then when you have a chance run Multibeast.

As SG- said, it will enable all the features of your GPU by adding the correct device ID and such.

emergent said:
How do I set that to yes, in the boot.plist in the root? Didn't know this. Thanks for the info, I'll go searching how to do this.

Cheers,
Chris

there should be a file in /Extra/ called org.chameleon.Boot.plist, you'll need to make sure it has the following in it:

Code:
<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>
<string>Yes</string>

if you want to test it before adding it to that file so it doesn't break your system, just forget about adding it to that file and reboot your system. once you reach chameleon boot loader, you'll want to type the following

GraphicsEnabler=Yes

and hit enter, that will only enable that setting for that boot, so if something breaks just reboot. if it works fine then you can add it to the boot.plist

if you only see a graphical chameleon OS selector, i think you just need to hit TAB on your keyboard to get the text version.

SG- said:
emergent said:

Cheers,
Chris

there should be a file in /Extra/ called org.chameleon.Boot.plist, you'll need to make sure it has the following in it:

Code:
<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>
<string>Yes</string>

if you want to test it before adding it to that file so it doesn't break your system, just forget about adding it to that file and reboot your system. once you reach chameleon boot loader, you'll want to type the following

GraphicsEnabler=Yes

and hit enter, that will only enable that setting for that boot, so if something breaks just reboot. if it works fine then you can add it to the boot.plist

if you only see a graphical chameleon OS selector, i think you just need to hit TAB on your keyboard to get the text version.
Great, thanks! I'lll try it. Also, can I do a once only boot trick for multi beast? I'd enable it, but too many times when I was installing it, it wouldn't boot anymore when I ticked the same settings a few other people with X79 boards. So is there a way to try it?

Chris

if you want to just try it, just type in GraphicsEnabler=Yes when you boot up your computer and reach the chameleon boot loader. you might have to hit TAB to get the text prompt to come up at the OS/drive selector screen.

if your chameleon automatically boots right into your OS, you'll want to keep tapping F8 after your BIOS is done loading and goes to boot the OS.

that will only make the setting work for that boot up session, next time you restart or shutdown it will go back to what it was. if you're happy with the setting and it works, then you can add it to your boot.plist that i mentioned above in the /Extra folder.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back