Graphics
GTX460
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
I recently purchased a second monitor to add to my hackintosh build. Shortly after hooking it up, I started to get random freezes of OSX. It happens about once a day and can only be fixed by restarting. When if freezes, the computer seems to lock up, but the mouse is active. I can move the cursor but nothing responds.

Every time it happens, the system log has these lines in it:

Mar 6 08:20:39 frankentosh sandboxd[68038] ([68037]): DumpGPURestart(68037) deny file-write-create /Library/Application Support/SubmitDiagInfo
Mar 6 08:20:40 frankentosh sandboxd[68038] ([68037]): DumpGPURestart(68037) deny ipc-posix-shm apple.shm.notification_center
Mar 6 08:20:40: --- last message repeated 4 times ---
Mar 6 08:20:40 frankentosh sandboxd[68038] ([68037]): DumpGPURestart(68037) deny file-read-metadata /Library/Managed Preferences

This was happening on 10.7.2 and I updated to 10.7.3 to see if that fixed it, and there is no difference.

Also, this may be unrelated but worth mentioning. I am running the second monitor in portrait mode and there is some artifacting happening. This only happens in OSX in portrait mode at 1080x1920. Same exact setup and resolution in Win7, no problems. In OSX, portrait, lower resolution, no problem. Landscape 1920x1080, no problem.

EDIT:
Oddly enough, this just happened again, and instead of restarting, I unplugged the the second monitor. After a few seconds everything was fine and I continued to use the system. The logging mentioned above did not appear.

I've been experiencing the lockups described for some time (but on a single monitor).

I noticed most people posting freeze problems have NVIDA cards either in older MacPros, some Mac laptops or hackintosh builds. Note that this problem is NOT limited to mackintoshes. The internet is full of similar problems on native Apple products.

While ATI cards don't seem to be entirely immune, NVIDA cards seem to be the most effected. Be advised, there are new drivers out for Lion 10.7.3 machines with NVIDA Cuda and GeForce cards (version 270.00.00f01 released 2/27/2012). The Nvidia website details state "Contains performance improvements and bug fixes for a wide range of applications." It also goes on to say its for "...is for Mac Pro 5,1 (2010), Mac Pro 4,1 (2009) and Mac Pro 3,1 (2008) users only.".

I have experienced fewer crashes after weeks of testing, but the system does appear to be more stable generally. That said the new driver may (or may not) correct the lockup problem for you. The results have been sporadic for me...

Also updated the Cuda driver to the latest available. Also, I tried the latest Nvidia patches in MultiBeast for 10.7.3. Nothing has totally corrected the problem. I am convinced it is video driver related somehow.

This is the link: http://www.geforce.com/Drivers/Results/42416. The file is 31MB.

Or, search the NVIDA site for the phrase "Quadro & GeForce Release 270.00.00f01 ".

Hope this helps... You will notice that we have a similar build in some cases. Also note that I have done considerable (Memtest) testing on my RAM thinking that might be an issue. Not sure that it is. I have two 10.7.3 systems running on two different drives. I get more crashes on one than the other. Go figure... maybe it's drive related... that's a reach.

My build:
Multi-boot Win7 64bit, OSX 10.7.3 and OSX 10.6.8 (MacPro3 2008 emulation)
Asus P8P67 Pro, i7 2600K
NVIDA GeForce GTX 460SE
Patriot, 16GB (4x4) DDR3 RAM 1600mhz
Corsair H70 Cooler

I have a Real MacPro 3,1 - ECS GTX460 stock.
I have hex edited the Nvidia Driver (270) to allow OpenCL to work.
I get no boot screen but screen comes on at login.
Cuda 4.1.9 then updated to 4.2.5 installed and recognised.
Unigine benchmark around 1000 points which is pretty good. (30-70fps@ 1920x1080)
I did not have any freezes until I installed and started using Firefox 11, maybe this was a just a coincidence, however my freezes are becoming a lot more frequent now.
I will be trying to use chrome only as I had before to see if this fixes it, I had been online for over 3 hours before without a KP or freeze using Chrome over a number of days.
As it stands now my KP are so frequent with Firefox it has rendered my Mac Pro so unusable that I will probably go back to my old flashed 8800gt.
If this is driver related,which seems to be the consensus- we can blame Apple as well as Nvidia as this card (GTX460) has worked without a hiccup in my PC for over a year.
Just my 2 cents worth.

As a possible solution to the Firefox users, try going into Firefox Preferences -> Advanced -> and disabling Hardware Acceleration. Seems to have fixed it for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back