Contribute
Register

GTX 970 / GTX 980 are here

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think I got mines working now through HDMI. I'm able to restart and boot from shut down into 10.10 with no issues at the Apple logo screen. My problem may have been with it booting a DSDT that I pasted over from my Mountain Lion drive that allowed me to have HDMI sound via HD4000 in Yosemite.

hi there

i also got a z77x-ud5h and the EVGA GTX970 (that one http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00NVODXR4?ie=UTF8&tag=tonymacx86com-20) plugged in my rig
i7-3770k as CPU (overclocked to 4.2GHz with no problems yet)

win8.1 works like a charm but i don't know (and i wasn't able to test yet because lack of time O:) ) if it would work with 10.10?

do you use ANY boot flags?

DSDT was never needed or used with that Gigabyte Z77X-UD5H baby ;-)

any clues or tips for me?

Worked fine! Thanks for sharing.
After installing cuda drivers, web drivers and the video card I only had to select the Nvidia web driver from the top menu to make it work.

I work with multiple screens, connected with display port and DVI. Works great in photoshop.

Edit: Cuda isn't working yet with the MSI GTX 970. After Effects sees an 'unsupported GPU' that you can use at your own risk.
I'll do some testing, but it doesn't look it's working properly at the moment. May be when Nvidia updates the software.

Aris

AFAIK that's an After Effects issue, not a CUDA issue. I believe you can add support for your GPU in After Effects manually.

I've tested CUDA with the GTX 980 in other apps and it worked great. However, these new cards are based on an entirely new architecture, so many apps have to be updated for it to work well. With Blender, for example, I had to update the app to get support for the Maxwell cards. But when I did, it just screamed! ;)

Getting my hack to work with the 970 is not proving easy.

So far, I have installed the CUDA drivers as well as the 10.10.1 web drivers.
It boots up fine and loads, but after the white apple screen disappears I Just get my monitor reporting the signal has been lost. Is this the HDMI issue? I don't have other cables to test with unfortunately:(

If I boot up with nvda_disable=1, the screen flickers like crazy.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

UPDATE: Tested this with a VGA cable (connected to a DVI adapter) which also lost signal after the Apple loading screen. Any suggestions?

Probably means the drivers aren't loading probably. Did you switch to the web drivers?

Yep, I did. I tried both options that the Nvidia software gave me (Mac and web drivers).

EDIT: What ports are you guys using successfully?

Besides the Cuda support, what is the reason to be working with the Nvidia driver vs the OSx driver?

Aris

Is anyone else having issues with the 343.01.02 10.10.1 driver?

Here's what I've done:
  • complete reinstall of Yosemite, booting fine.
  • installation of web driver (without card installed)
  • cannot boot back into OSX (hangs on loading screen)
  • can boot back into safe mode, but the screen flickers.
Booting with "nv_disable=1" rather than -x does not work.

Considering the card isn't even installed yet, I think this has to be a driver issue. It seems the driver alone is stopping the computer from booting.

The motherboard is the Z87X-UD3H.

Are you checking your BIOS settings for POST display output?

If you have the web drivers installed, and are on them (check your boot flags, nvda_drv=1 should be among them) you should be able to boot in on any of the cards display ports, just make doubly sure you are on the web drivers, have the correct boot flags, and in BIOS have the internal graphics disabled and the display port set to your cards PCIe slot (1 I'd imagine), you can also disconnect any display cables from your MB to make sure you aren't sending competing signals, though if your settings are good you shouldn't need too.

I just had to reinstall (clover mistake... sticking with unibeast/chimera for a bit until I understand clover a bit better and get a second HD to play with), here is what I did this time around, which worked just as well as what I mentioned on page 14.

With the boot flag nv_disable=1 I installed OS, multibeasted, rebooted, downloaded web drivers and installed them, rebooted again with nv_disable=1 just to double check they made it through a reboot. At that point I switched over to the web drivers via the Nvidia Preference Pane and double checked in org.chameleon.boot.plist that the nvda_drv=1 boot flag was present. I shutdown and rebooted into BIOS, disabled IGFX, changed POST display to PCIe 1 (card) saved and exited. Upon exiting BIOS everything worked fine, have HDMI off the 970 and all is well.

I hope this helps in some way, because beyond this I probably won't be able to help much, still grasping a lot of this stuff, but having an awful lot of fun in the process!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back