Contribute
Register

GTX 970 4k 60hz hdmi

Status
Not open for further replies.
SwitchResX is the only way I could figure out how to add custom display resolutions and refresh rates. In this case, 60hz.

I seem to have stumbled on something that could help. If you want 4k 60hz over HDMI 2.0 4:4:4 on 10.10.3, here is the recipe that worked for me:

• GTX 970 (I'm sure 980 would work) with Nvidia web drivers
  • Get a DVI-D to HDMI cable. This is the one I'm using.
  • Install Display Menu
  • Install SwitchResX
  • Create a custom resolution in switchresx of 3840x2160 60Hz
  • Reboot, then use Display Menu to choose the new resolution.

I have no idea why this works, but it does perfectly. I'm using a Samsung Curved 6700 and it's quite amazing. It does not work with a HDMI cable, but the DVI D to HDMI cable seems to be the magic component.

It is, for sure, 60Hz and 4:4:4. I worked with a the Seiki 39" for a while as my monitor and know the painful difference between 30Hz and 60Hz.
View attachment 140056View attachment 140055

What settings are you using for the custom resolution? switchresx does show a 4k 60z resolution as standard, but I notice you do not use that one. Simply creating a custom 4k resolution without changing anything must just default to that same resolution because it doesn't create a new resolution in the list of current resolutions. the default 4k resolution "works", but my 7250 doesn't seem to like it. it stutters and flickers every 10-15 seconds.

I'm using a 980 classified and 3960x in a Rampage IV Gene. I don't think that should matter though. If anything hardware wise its the 7250 vs the 6700.

I seem to have stumbled on something that could help. If you want 4k 60hz over HDMI 2.0 4:4:4 on 10.10.3, here is the recipe that worked for me:

• GTX 970 (I'm sure 980 would work) with Nvidia web drivers
  • Get a DVI-D to HDMI cable. This is the one I'm using.
  • Install Display Menu
  • Install SwitchResX
  • Create a custom resolution in switchresx of 3840x2160 60Hz
  • Reboot, then use Display Menu to choose the new resolution.

I have no idea why this works, but it does perfectly. I'm using a Samsung Curved 6700 and it's quite amazing. It does not work with a HDMI cable, but the DVI D to HDMI cable seems to be the magic component.

It is, for sure, 60Hz and 4:4:4. I worked with a the Seiki 39" for a while as my monitor and know the painful difference between 30Hz and 60Hz.
View attachment 140056View attachment 140055

You aren't running 4k. DVI-D is 2560x1600 max. SwitchresX is scaling the desktop, that's what it does when you use a resolution greater than native.

You aren't running 4k. DVI-D is 2560x1600 max. SwitchresX is scaling the desktop, that's what it does when you use a resolution greater than native.

I've read a number of posts at AVS forums that support the fact that you can indeed get 4k over a DVI to HDMI cable with 4:4:4 chroma @ 60Hz. Got a couple of cables coming from Amazon I'll try and tinker with and see if I have any luck as the straight HDMI 2.0 cable is a no go with my GTX 960 on Sony and Samsung 4k TV sets.

Well, I haven't had much luck in terms of SwitchresX or in monkeying with the pixel clock patching. It seems connected to generally being unable to affect the SIP status of my system. :-S With that said, I have tested the DVI-D to HDMI cables I picked up from Amazon. Both are able to pipe 3840x2160 to the Sony and Samsung sets I'm playing with. I'm using the OS X display settings and not SwitchesX

For what it's worth to anyone following this thread, I was able to get 3840x2160 @ 60Hz and 4:4:4 chroma with the Samsung UN40JU7100, without any of the noted tweaks (e.g., SwitchresX, pixel clock patch). I set up the TV to be connected via a DVI/PC device (in the weeds ofand got 60Hz without an issue. I was pretty surprised and pleased to see it! Plugged in the Sony XBR43X830C and despite any number of settings, couldn't get it beyond 3840x2160 @ 30Hz. :-/

Would have liked the additional size for a treadmill desk monitor, but 40" should be adequate. FWIW, the Samsung also has more viable resolutions to work with when configured with the HDMI port to receive a DVI/PC signal. For the Sony, I was unable to really get any of the HiDPi settings to work. I could get 2560x1440 @ 60Hz via SwitchresX on the Sony, but it was a bit fuzzy as it wasn't HiDPI.

I was able to unlock the HiDPI settings for the Samsung. Lower resolutions like 2560x1440 and even 1920x1080 looks nice and crisp in comparison to the "low resolution" equivalents, which will be a great help for the setup I'm planning. :) A bit off topic, but it would seem Samsung has done a better job of making their UHDTVs (or at least this one) more user friendly as monitors. prior to getting the HDMI port setup to accept a DVI/PC signal the resolutions available as well as 60Hz were problematic as well.

I can confirm 4k 60hz RGB 4:4:4 is fully working out of the box using 10.11.3 a GTX 960 from Gigabyte and latests nvidia web drivers with a DVI-D to hdmi cable to my Samsung 48JU7500. It needs to be connected HDMI port 2, and you have to select input type DVI PC.

Surprisingly it didn't work at all using the hdmi 2.0 ports of the card.

I still don't know how is that it's working (since dvi are not supposed to support such high bandwidth), but it does. Even sound is working from DVI.

I see that LG just updated its firmware. Im going to give this another run.

and it failed

I to can confirm that I am getting 4k at 60z. Thru DVI to HDMI on a Seiki 42 inch:clap::clap::clap:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back