Contribute
Register

GTX 960 Crash software on heavy load (C4D + Octane / After Effects)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Asus Prim X299 Deluxe
CPU
i9-7960X
Graphics
Sapphire Nitro+ 5700XT
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Hello!

I am currently running a pretty stable system to do video editing and 2D/3D animation on.
When using After effects or Cinema4D the system runs very smooth, but when opening AE the software often complains of a lack of VRAM.
When using GPU-based renderer Octane in C4D it very often crashes (but not always).

It seems that there is a problem with the recognition GPU of OSX. I am running a GTX 960 with 4GB of ram.
The GPU is installed with the latest nVidia Web drivers. Anybody out there has any idea what might cause this?

Full Specs:
OSX El Capitan 10.11.6, installed with Clover Bootloader.
Boot Args:

<key>Arguments</key>
<string>dart=0 nvda_drv=1</string>

Graphics inject:

<key>Inject</key>
<dict>
<key>ATI</key>
<false/>
<key>Intel</key>
<false/>
<key>NVidia</key>
<false/>

SMBIOS:

<key>ProductName</key>
<string>iMac14,1</string>

(also tried 14.2, no luck)

I have added the complete config to this post.

Specs:
Intel 6700K
Asus Z170 PRo
Geforce MSI GTX 960 4G
64GB Corsair Vengeance memory

Attachments

• config.plist
    4.1 KB · Views: 214
Hello there

I have no idea what I'm talking about so take this with a grain of salt (where does that saying come from anyway):

If octane uses up all your vram it'll die. Regardless, octane is generally buggy in OS X. If the issues are purely with that plugin I wouldn't chalk it up to your system

Thanks for the reply!
Well, about half the time i start AE (without running octane or any other GPU-heavy software) it also warns me that i don't have enough VRAM for the 3D renderer. So i do think its a system problem, not (just) a buggy octane.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back