GTX 960
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hey all.

I recently upgraded from Yosemite to El Capitan (10.11.1) . I have a GTX 960 that was working flawlessly in Yosemite. Since upgrading to El Capitan it has has been having some trouble. I am running the latest web drivers.

When the machine boots it goes to a black screen with a cursor.

Sometimes, if I change the boot settings it will boot (I'd say 1 in 4 boots). I have only ever seen it boot successfully when loading verbose (although booting in verbose mode doesn't always result in it booting successfully). When the verbose boot doesn't work it goes to the black screen with the cursor.

I am booting with the nvda_drv=1 boot flag.

Checking the system logs doesn't seem to reveal anything of note.

I have tried changing the smbios definition in clover from MacPro3,1 to iMac12,2 and iMac14,1. None of it seems to make a difference. It does seem more likely to reach the desktop after changing it in clover (as opposed to in the /EFI config.plist) makes it more likely to reach the desktop, but maybe I'm just imagining things.

When I reach the desktop the machine seems to behave properly (acceleration working, etc). I do notice that the framerate in the Galaxy benchmark app seems to be quite low (http://www.tonymacx86.com/graphics/98626-apples-opengl-opencl-test-app-galaxies.html) at around 16FPS.

I seem to remember an issue in earlier versions of OS X with a GTX 670 where it didn't get enough power and experienced similar situations (power management in the driver was screwed up). Not sure if anyone is familiar with any of this.

I realize this all seems rather arbitrary, just trying to get ideas on where to go from here. Thanks a ton!

I'm having similar issues here. I was occasionally able to boot after installing the web drivers again, but without fail it goes to a black screen and cursor after reboot.

Wondering if you've had any success?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back