Graphics
GeForce GTX 1070
Mac
  1. MacBook
  2. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi there

I was wondering what kind of performance I should expect from the GeForce GTX 680? The machine boots and works all right, its based on this motherboard: ASUS P8Z77-I with i5-3570k, 8GB RAM. and the graphics card is a ZOTAC reference card.

In games (WoW, StarCraft2) I experience some stuttering, not really sure why. It stutters, then goes smoothly for a few seconds, then stutters again. It is almost feels like HD lag but I run the games from SSDs and TRIM is activated according to system information.

Any ideas?

I've noticed that same thing on my box as well in SC2. My FPS are acceptable and playable, but not exactly outstanding. Valve games seem to run without a problem and I haven't tried playing Diablo III yet. I did some quick poking around a couple weeks ago and it looked like it was mostly a Blizzard related issue. I guess they just aren't as optimized on a Mac as they are on Windows, or at least that is what i've heard. From what I've seen it makes sense. I had the exact same specs as below on my Windows box except I had a Radeon 6970 instead of a GTX 680 and I got a constant 60 FPS, it wouldn't even ever dip below 59FPS (v-sync turned on), even on the unit preloader map. Now I seem to get a steady 30 - 40 FPS in game and about 8 - 10 FPS on the unit preloader map. I'll try deleting the .kext and see if that helps.

My Specs:
CPU: Intel Core i7-3820 @ 3.60GHz (LGA 2011)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-X79-UD3 (LGA 2011)
Memory: G.SKILL 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3 2133
SSD: Samsung 840 Series 2.5" 250GB SATA III
Graphics: EVGA Geforce GTX 680 2GB
Monitor: HP ZR30w 30"

SC2 Settings:
Resolution: 2560x1600
Graphic Quality: Extreme
Texture Quality: High
Antialias: On
V-Sync: On

Status
Not open for further replies.