Contribute
Register

GTX 560TI and HD4000 Problems (GA-Z77X-UP5 TH)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z77X-UP5H TH
CPU
i7-3770K
Graphics
GTX 670
Mac
  1. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Power Mac
  2. Xserve
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
First my system:
GA-Z77X-UP5 TH
GTX 560TI
i7-3770k
OS Mountain Lion

I followed Alfa147x Guide to get everything up and running but I’ve stumbled upon a problem with my video card and I’m not sure what my next steps should be. Using the HD4000 I was able to install mountain lion without any problems, ran multibeast, disabled the onboard gfx, and switched over my GTX 560TI. I would get to the apple logo then lose the video signal. However my HHD activity light continued to be in use.

Steps I tried:

-every possibility of GraphicsEnabler and PCIRootUID with no luck.

-switched between VGA, HDMI, DVI... no luck.

-enabled the onboard graphics and added the ‘device-properties’ string to the org.chameleon.Boot.plist as described in this tonymacx86 post.
I had more success with this. The OS loaded and the 560TI was identified and working with 2 monitors. However I could no longer see my boot screen and boot options until I hooked up a 3rd monitor. Interesting enough the HD4000 would freeze on the apple logo (pic attached) and although it showed up in the profiler it did not indicate that a display was hooked up to it. Everything else worked perfectly.

-with HD4000 enabled, I removed the ‘device-properties’ string from org.chameleon.Boot.plist.
All 3 monitors worked But the HD4000 had issues playing back video. It also took a lot longer to boot and scored considerably lower with Geekbench and Cinebench.

Ideally I want to disable the onboard gfx as i need to be able to select my boot drive without having to hook up a 3rd monitor. Anybody have an idea of how to fix this?

Thanks!

Attachments

• Monitors.jpg
    Monitors.jpg
    116.5 KB · Views: 294
Okay so because there are so many different configurations I decided to systematically go through them all. There are still other options not listed below but often they would produce the same results as others and therefore not mentioned.

1. HD4000 Enabled, Init Display First=IGFX, ‘device-properties’ string added to the org.chameleon.Boot.plist, GraphicsEnabler=No, VGA via onboard, DVI x2 via GTX560ti.
    • Both monitors worked connected to GTX560ti, Monitor connected to onboard would hang on the grey apple logo screen (Attached picture above), Cinebench and Geekbench results as expected

2. HD4000 Enabled, Init Display First=IGFX, ‘device-properties’ string removed from the org.chameleon.Boot.plist, GraphicsEnabler=No, VGA via onboard, DVI x2 via GTX560ti.
    • Both monitors worked connected to GTX560ti, Monitor connected to onboard would work, but had issues (anything flash would not work), Cinebench and Geekbench results were significantly lower. Longer boot times.

3. HD4000 Enabled, Init Display First=IGFX, ‘device-properties’ string added to the org.chameleon.Boot.plist, GraphicsEnabler=No, DVI via onboard, DVI x2 via GTX560ti.
    • All monitors work, Cinebench and Geekbench results as expected.

4. HD4000 Disabled, Init Display First=PEG, GraphicsEnabler=No, DVI x2 via GTX560ti.
    • Loss of signal after grey Apple logo.

5. HD4000 Disabled, Init Display First=PEG, GraphicsEnabler=YES, DVI x2 via GTX560ti.
    • Only one monitor worked. Cinebench and Geekbench results as expected.

6. HD4000 Enabled, Init Display First=PEG, ‘device-properties’ string removed from the org.chameleon.Boot.plist, GraphicsEnabler=YES, No monitor hooked up to onboard, DVI x2 via GTX560ti.
    • Both monitors worked, longer boot times, Cinebench and Geekbench results as expected.

7. HD4000 Enabled, Init Display First=PEG, device-properties’ string added to the org.chameleon.Boot.plist, GraphicsEnabler=YES, No monitor hooked up to onboard, DVI x2 via GTX560ti.

All these tests were done with the NVIDIA GTX 470/480/560TI… option selected in MultiBeast. I’m going to try more configurations tonight without the NVIDIA GTX 470/480/560TI… selected.

I’m a little confused why I need to set ‘GE’ to YES. From what I’ve read, it should work with NO? Also PCIRootUID has no effect on any options.

Obviously there are configurations in here that would suit my needs, but my ideal situation would be using the GTX560ti with dual monitors and fast boot times… Not quite there yet. Unfortunately I really don’t have an understanding on what’s going on under the hood, so the only thing I’m able to do is try different combinations… So, So close to 100%. Any input or insight into why this is happening would be appreciated.

Something else I’m not clear on. Will the displays act differently if one is attached to onboard, and the other to the discrete video card?

Hello, I have the same set us you and have run into the same issue as you.
I don't' have any solutions yet, but am eager to watch this thread for other people's suggestions.
Thank you.

I have not heard of any solutions yet. I did some similar test last night without installing the ‘10.8.0 OpenCL Enabler’ and got similar results. Although, I sometimes got the shutdown message on boot which I didn’t get before.

any luck--I'm having issues with same setup?

with HD4000 u should have Card with native support in ML and the 560ti its natively supported in 10.8 so u should select GE=NO ,,,, if u want dual monitor> connect one to dvi/hdmi (HD4000) and other to dvi/hdmi to (native card)
Note: dont use VGA port with onboard GPU or u will hang on apple logo screen

from my experience, it seems impossible to get Nvidia Fermi cards and Intel HD3000 or HD4000 working together. Fermi needs GraphicsEnabler=Yes or it crashes the machine on bootup. Kepler cards (Nvidia 6x0) seem to work with HD3000/4000 because the driver doesn't actually need injection or something which is why GraphicsEnabler=No for those work.

I'm likely going to try and sell my 570 GTX and try to get a 670 because of this.

with HD4000 u should have Card with native support in ML and the 560ti its natively supported in 10.8 so u should select GE=NO ,,,, if u want dual monitor> connect one to dvi/hdmi (HD4000) and other to dvi/hdmi to (native card)
Note: dont use VGA port with onboard GPU or u will hang on apple logo screen

Right now, this seems like the only way to go if you want dual monitors. I get a little less performance with Cinebench but its negligible. Funny enough, I got the best performance with HD4000 enabled but no monitor attached. However you never see your boot options which didn't work for me because I have a dual boot.

EDIT: Turns out because I've been changing my config so much, I actually had GE=yes and was getting the nvidia error on boot screen. I was also getting about 43fps with Cinebench on both monitors. I changed it back to 'No' and the HD4000 Monitor was getting 24fps, the 560ti Monitor was getting 43fps...

Okay so because there are so many different configurations I decided to systematically go through them all. There are still other options not listed below but often they would produce the same results as others and therefore not mentioned.

1. HD4000 Enabled, Init Display First=IGFX, ‘device-properties’ string added to the org.chameleon.Boot.plist, GraphicsEnabler=No, VGA via onboard, DVI x2 via GTX560ti.
    • Both monitors worked connected to GTX560ti, Monitor connected to onboard would hang on the grey apple logo screen (Attached picture above), Cinebench and Geekbench results as expected

2. HD4000 Enabled, Init Display First=IGFX, ‘device-properties’ string removed from the org.chameleon.Boot.plist, GraphicsEnabler=No, VGA via onboard, DVI x2 via GTX560ti.
    • Both monitors worked connected to GTX560ti, Monitor connected to onboard would work, but had issues (anything flash would not work), Cinebench and Geekbench results were significantly lower. Longer boot times.

3. HD4000 Enabled, Init Display First=IGFX, ‘device-properties’ string added to the org.chameleon.Boot.plist, GraphicsEnabler=No, DVI via onboard, DVI x2 via GTX560ti.
    • All monitors work, Cinebench and Geekbench results as expected.

4. HD4000 Disabled, Init Display First=PEG, GraphicsEnabler=No, DVI x2 via GTX560ti.

5. HD4000 Disabled, Init Display First=PEG, GraphicsEnabler=YES, DVI x2 via GTX560ti.
    • Only one monitor worked. Cinebench and Geekbench results as expected.

6. HD4000 Enabled, Init Display First=PEG, ‘device-properties’ string removed from the org.chameleon.Boot.plist, GraphicsEnabler=YES, No monitor hooked up to onboard, DVI x2 via GTX560ti.
    • Both monitors worked, longer boot times, Cinebench and Geekbench results as expected.

7. HD4000 Enabled, Init Display First=PEG, device-properties’ string added to the org.chameleon.Boot.plist, GraphicsEnabler=YES, No monitor hooked up to onboard, DVI x2 via GTX560ti.

All these tests were done with the NVIDIA GTX 470/480/560TI… option selected in MultiBeast. I’m going to try more configurations tonight without the NVIDIA GTX 470/480/560TI… selected.

I’m a little confused why I need to set ‘GE’ to YES. From what I’ve read, it should work with NO? Also PCIRootUID has no effect on any options.

Obviously there are configurations in here that would suit my needs, but my ideal situation would be using the GTX560ti with dual monitors and fast boot times… Not quite there yet. Unfortunately I really don’t have an understanding on what’s going on under the hood, so the only thing I’m able to do is try different combinations… So, So close to 100%. Any input or insight into why this is happening would be appreciated.

Something else I’m not clear on. Will the displays act differently if one is attached to onboard, and the other to the discrete video card?

I don't understand - if option 3 allows for all 3 monitors to work and performance as expected, why is this not the "solution"?

I don't understand - if option 3 allows for all 3 monitors to work and performance as expected, why is this not the "solution"?

I was looking for a solution using only 2 monitors. I don't have enough room on my desk for a third monitor. :D

It seems they have found a solution here (GTX 560 Ti dual monitor / audio problems) but I have yet to try it. (currently don't have win7 installed.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back