Contribute
Register

GTX 560 Ti dual monitor / audio problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
Grimlock: I attempted to enable the internal graphics (BIOS: IGX), but the result was a kernel panic. I must not be understanding something. What is your optimum configuration?

I noticed that when installing a new system from UB that both monitors were up and running. It was only until after MB was installed that there were dual monitor issues.

Grimlock: I attempted to enable the internal graphics (BIOS: IGX), but the result was a kernel panic. I must not be understanding something. What is your optimum configuration?

I noticed that when installing a new system from UB that both monitors were up and running. It was only until after MB was installed that there were dual monitor issues.

I did this last night, it worked ok, followed this guide:

http://www.tonymacx86.com/mountain-lion-desktop-support/61216-10-8-how-enable-hd4000.html

Its odd that I need graphics enabler yes in the .plist or my monitor(s) will not get recognized yet in this guide you set it to no, and it all still worked. Only issue was boot screen is the TV (internal graphics loads first) which doesn't really work for me because lots of times the tv is off and computer on so if I want to access the other drives I would need to turn the tv on just for that. I played a movie file on there and it worked pretty good, restarts I got an artifact or two but once up it seemed really good so that is an option. Just for a laugh I ran Novabench and Luxmark using just the internal graphics and the scores were about 25% of what the 560TI will do.

I ended up disconnecting it all for now, funny thing too got into bios, changed all the settings back, it wouldn't load the (now single) monitor until I could boot off my second drive, go back to the first drive and change graphics enabler to yes in the .plist...LOL

But its an option.

I tried the Hacks by Alpha. One monitor is attached to the on board graphics, and the other one is attached to the outboard GTX560 Ti port. Both came up. This doesn't get the GTX560 TI card correctly configured, but it does get two displays. Correct? If both monitors are plugged into the card, then it appears to be displaying the second screen's display on both screens. MacOS System Info is stating that there are no PCI Cards installed.

So this is a workaround to the problem that the GTX560 TI is not able to be correctly configured. Is that right?

The question remains as to how to get the card to display correctly.

I’m definitely having challenges with this card. The only way I can get it working as expected is to enable the onboard, and add the device string (Alfa outlined) and install the 10.8.0 OpenCL Enabler (MultiBeast). Not too sure why the onboard graphics needs to be enabled for the 560ti to work correctly?

Not ideal, but it will work until a fix is found (fingers crossed).

It works with the hack, using the onboard graphics for 1 monitor and the 560TI for the other. The drawback is, of course, that the card will support two 2560x1600 monitors, and the arrangement that we have working won't. I don't have two of those. Yet. I'm running a 1920x1200 Apple 23" and an older Samsung 1024x768.

So do we have hardware or software problems?

On another note, I shut it down last night and this morning it couldn't find the boot drive. I had to start it with Unibeast on the Flash Drive to select the boot drive. Any ideas? I must have forgotten to install something on the last install.

I upgraded to 10.8.1. It all went OK, but perhaps that is why I'm now having boot issues.

I feel a bit lost, there is a solution for 2 monitors out of the same card, or people are using one from the card and one from on board?
I have 2 of the same monitors and neither of them will work from an on board card, they need a dedicated card to run.

It works with the hack, using the onboard graphics for 1 monitor and the 560TI for the other. The drawback is, of course, that the card will support two 2560x1600 monitors, and the arrangement that we have working won't. I don't have two of those. Yet. I'm running a 1920x1200 Apple 23" and an older Samsung 1024x768.

So do we have hardware or software problems?

On another note, I shut it down last night and this morning it couldn't find the boot drive. I had to start it with Unibeast on the Flash Drive to select the boot drive. Any ideas? I must have forgotten to install something on the last install.

I upgraded to 10.8.1. It all went OK, but perhaps that is why I'm now having boot issues.

Using the internal graphics for one monitor is a workaround, nothing more. It might be ok for people who just want stock quotes or surfing, not good for games, HD video or serious graphics. Here is an interesting thing too, I noticed after I did this mod and went back I still get the quick error message but the number has changed...it used to be "0x55555555" but now its "0x55415555"...LOL Anyway, after that I upgraded to 10.8.1 I had issues because I forgot to pull out some non ML kexts...anyway, it went downhill pretty fast and I did a clean install of 10.8, then installed 10.8.1, no issues. Disk was erased, reformatted yet that error message is still "0x55415555"....hhmmm

I'm guessing hardware. The 550 and 560Ti seem to have many issues with ML.

No boot issues here on 10.8.1, seems pretty stable. Its fast too.

I'm pretty sure I will be changing out the card...not sure which one is next though, doing research now. Also waiting for new Mac Pros to possibly be announced, once those come out with updated cards we'll know whats truly supported (media event on the 12th Sept, probably iPhone but maybe more computer stuff). 660Ti looks attractive but some issues on that one as well, might have to just bite it and get a 670...$$$ Still issues there but seem to be the best bet.

I feel a bit lost, there is a solution for 2 monitors out of the same card, or people are using one from the card and one from on board?
I have 2 of the same monitors and neither of them will work from an on board card, they need a dedicated card to run.

Right now some have no issues with the GTX560Ti, others can only get one monitor to run. If you read this thread you can see the primary DVI port causes monitor to lose signal on hard boot unless you use the second DVI port. But if you run two monitors cold starts you may or may not get the monitor on the primary DVI port to come up (loses signal before you get to desktop) so an workaround is to run the internal graphics off ivy bridge CPU for one monitor and then use secondary dvi port on card for other monitor.

BTW, it helps everyone if you have some info about your system posted.

Fixjets analysis of the dual monitor issue just about sums it up. I'm experiencing the same thing. I don't know what is wrong. I've spent hours loading configurations, and the only one that works consistently is the hack that allows the onboard graphics to run one monitor, and the card the other. That's only a temporary solution. If you have multiple partitioned drives, you can load different configurations and try them. SuperDuper (free) is great for cloning drives.

One thing I was wondering, has anyone tried the hdmi port yet?? Even on the other cards some people can't use dvi+dvi, its usually a combo of dvi+hdmi, or dvi+displayport. I don't have anything here to try it with.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back