Contribute
Register

GTX 560 Ti dual monitor / audio problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well I am having issues too. Second monitor stopped working, also lost graphics (couldn't run cinebench, luxmark, or novabench they all gave errors). I reinstalled ML using a newly made unibeast usb drive and PCIRootUID=0 on each boot...once installed, ran MB and selected audio, non dsdt install, networks and OpenCL enabler. Everything comes up fine, all the tests run fine, both monitors fine, etc.

I also looked under PCI card in system information, previous to running MB both the controllers said yes and yes. After running multibeast, one says yes the other says no. See pics. I know i have to use the second DVI port on my GTX560ti or my main monitor will lose its signal partway through the boot on cold starts (sleep ok, restarts ok).

So anyway, everything seemed good, OpenCl is working, both monitors working etc, but now the next morning (cold start) my second monitor loses signal halfway through the boot, then the main monitor comes up (which of course is running off the secondary dvi port)...so it looks the same problem as before which I spent a lot of time trying to sort out when it was my main monitor (final fix was to swap ports and PCIRootUID=0)

Interesting.

That's very similar to what I had happening.

I would boot and the first port/monitor would drive the POST and loading screen, then OSX would open and it would switch to the second port/monitor. It was switching outputs during the OS boot process.

Given that and your images above, I suspect it's something in the way OSX is reading the card and outputting. I'll check my system information when I get home to compare with what you have in yours.

OK, I made a post under the MB bug reports because that change in the dvi card info is only once MB is run. Seems to me MB is doing something with that and this stuff is getting past my knowledge level(which is very limited).

Hopefully there is a solution out there somewhere!

Update. The original install got to the point that reinstalling the system and then running MB again wouldn't work. The Install would fail.

I reloaded 10.8 and ran MB on a different drive partition several times, experimenting with configurations. Installing Audio/Realtek ALC8xx/Without DSDT/ALC898 turned the audio on. So that works.

If I could find a DSDT for the GA-Z77X mother board I'd try that, but that seems to be an unknown.

Possibly the issue with the monitors can be visualized in the About this Mac/System Report/PCI Cards. There are two listings:

GeForce GTX 560TI--Display Controller--Driver Installed=Yes--Slot 1
GeForce GTX 560TI--NVDA, Parent--Driver Installed=No--Slot 1

It would appear that the video card needs two drivers or a driver that recognizes both outputs. But I may be way off. In any event, I have been unsuccessful in diagnosing what is wrong with the video not being able to display the second monitor. I would like to figure this out while my video card can still be easily returned if I have a hardware problem.

So I'm able to boot up on one monitor. I just tried this: I let it restart with both monitors plugged in. The second monitor came up with the boot screen. Then everything went black. I unplugged the second monitor and the first one came back to life.

I agree we are missing a driver of some sort. Working my way through some of the kexts to see if I can figure out where that second device ID may go. I have no idea what I'm doing of course but I'm learning :) If you can still return your card, I'd say do that...I can't so would prefer to find a solution, but I'll replace if I have to I need two monitors minimum (have you tried the hdmi port yet??).

Glad you got your sound working.

Fixjet: I have some time before I have to return the card. What I cannot understand is why both monitors were up and running at one point. I've rechecked the cables, removed and installed the card, and even added the SATA cable as an auxiliary power supply to the PCIEX16 slot the card is in. One thing I haven't tried is to move the card to another slot, but it's in the one it's supposed to be in. I'm a graphic designer and two monitors are a must. My current install has sound running OK and the computer will wake from sleep.

If i had it to do over again, I would have tried different configurations on different drive partitions to work out the bugs before setting up the system.

Flash! On a whim I plugged the second monitor in. It came right up. The System Profile indicates that there is still a Yes/No for driver installation. I don't know why it's working and I don't expect it to work tomorrow. This is beginning to feel like a hardware issue.

Its a time thing. Did you notice once you have both monitors up and running, if you don't shut the computer off restarts and out of sleep monitors are fine. Its only after it sits completely off for about 5-10 minutes or so the second monitor may or may not come up.When I had only one monitor plugged into the first dvi port (closest to MoBo) it would lose its signal more often than not but if you kept doing cold starts eventually one start would work. Sometimes takes 10 tries for me but eventually with enough cold starts (hard reboots) it will come up. At least it does for me.

I have my Corsair build for everyday use with Lion. Right now this new build is just to play with and get perfect before I make it my main machine, then I will upgrade the parts in the Corsair for the next build (Corsair 600T case is wicked, love the thing). If I have to I guess I'll step up to the GTX 470 but for now hoping maybe somebody can sort it out.

I found out which kext people were modifying to run the 560TI in Lion (I tried swapping cards, got stuck on 1024 x768 with 560Ti in Lion but that was before I knew about the kext mods)...that same kext in ML has a bunch of device ID's that have the same pattern as the second device ID but not the same numbers/letters. It even has a 0xffffffff behind it which looks a lot like the error we get (0x55555555). I have modded the kext and restarted the machine, seems to work fine. So shut it right off and won't know for a while if it boots properly...its a long shot but why not?

Too bad a programmer didn't buy this card, we'd probably have a solution by now!!LOL I'm sure somebody smarter than us with this stuff will figure it out eventually.

"GeForce GTX 560TI--Display Controller--Driver Installed=Yes--Slot 1
GeForce GTX 560TI--NVDA, Parent--Driver Installed=No--Slot 1"

same here, realized that after plugging my computer to my TV (hdmi)

Fixjet: Now that the box is waking from sleep, I put it to sleep last night instead of shutting it down. This morning both monitors came back up. I think you are probably right. A hard shut down for an extended period and it forgets about the 2nd monitor. Why? Hardware or software? But since you are experiencing the same problem, either our video cards are not compatible with the MB patches and never will be (and in which case I need to exchange it for one that does work), or there is a problem with the MB patches. So...which is it? How do we find out?

Fixjet: Now that the box is waking from sleep, I put it to sleep last night instead of shutting it down. This morning both monitors came back up. I think you are probably right. A hard shut down for an extended period and it forgets about the 2nd monitor. Why? Hardware or software? But since you are experiencing the same problem, either our video cards are not compatible with the MB patches and never will be (and in which case I need to exchange it for one that does work), or there is a problem with the MB patches. So...which is it? How do we find out?

THAT is the question...LOL How do we find out?? I don't know. The hard shut down vs sleep/restart has me confused. I mean software is software, its code and it reads the same every time you start up so if it works sometimes but not others that has me confused...is OS X compensating and sometimes successful or does the video card/MoBo keep something is short term memory that bleeds away if you power off for 5 minutes (that seems to be the time frame)?? It makes no sense. Don't know what is going on.

I had no luck with modifying those kexts, always yes/no no matter what I do and same issue. So back to stock.

I'm tempted to get another card but would hate to have more issues after spending more $$$ (I can't return my 560 Ti). So for now will just keep playing until maybe there are patches coming (we are not alone here, I see lots of 560 Ti guys with same issues). The 660 TI was supposed to be awesome but I see some are having issues with dual monitors as well, have not researched the 670 but seems like they work good. It could be the Z77 chipset as well...ML 10.8.1 has no updated graphics stuff in it, and the 10.8.2 dev preview build is coming, maybe that will have support. If the new mac pro comes (if it ever arrives!!) with something good in it then we are golden so I'm gonna wait for that, this is my second machine....no amount of kexts or commands seem to be able to fix this issue, not at my limited level anyway.

Many say it works OOB for them but you talk to them most have no second monitor, they have it on secondary port (in which case it works fine), etc. Of course lots do have it working with no issues so maybe ROM on video card is different version, different MoBo, or who knows?? Its easy to swap GPU's so worst case that is what i will do.

If you do trade card in please keep us informed how it goes.

I also ran into the same problem with only one monitor working. I tried a bunch of different configurations and had some success using the HD4000 onboard graphics with my GTX560ti.

I posted the results on my post HERE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back