Status
Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
I've been tinkering away the hours on this one and I think I finally cracked it....
Before I being, I set PCI-E frequency to 100mhz in bios....

1. Install as usual per Tonymac instructions to 10.6.7 with Multibeast BUT also install "kext utility" from the "OSx 86 software" tab AND make sure you select "MacPro5.1" in "System Definitions" in "Customization" tab.

2.Once you reboot, on your Mac OS drive go to System/Library/Extensions

3. Find "Applegraphicspowermanagement.kext", right click and open package contents.

4. Drag and drop "info.plist" to your desktop. Then, open the desktop copy of it with text editor.

5. Scroll about 2/3rds of the way down, and you'll find, pushed to the left:
Code:
<key>MacPro5,1</key>
			<dict>
				<key>Vendor10deDevice0640</key>
				<dict>
					<key>Heuristic</key>
					<dict>
						<key>ID</key>
						<integer>0</integer>
						<key>IdleInterval</key>
						<integer>250</integer>

6. Change "0640" to "0e22", and under "idle Interval", 250 to 0.

What this does is resolve the KP issue by NOT letting the GTX 460 go into an idle mode, where it changes its power draw and totally f**ks up the Kernel. Im not sure how good this is for your card/temps in your case, but it BEATS looping a video or all the other stupid gimmicks that never worked.

7. Save the edited "info.plist" on your desktop, then drag it back into the unpackaged "Applegraphicspowermanagement.kext". Make sure the old info.plist has been replaced/deleted

8. Open kext utility in applications and run it. It will clean up and legitimize the edit you just made to the kext in the system cache.

9. reboot

10. Enjoy your KP FREE Hackintosh! Don't feel stupid you bought a GTX 460 Fermi-freeze; we all make mistakes friends. :crazy: Nevertheless, keep your fingers crossed; the "curtains of death" haven't come down on me....yet....

P.S. if this doesnt work, edit "NVDAGF100Hal.kext" the same way:
Code:
<key>IOPCIPrimaryMatch</key>
			<string>
				0x06c010de&amp;0xffe0ffff
				0x0dc010de&amp;0xffc0ffff
			        0x0e2210de&amp;0xffe0ffff
				0x0ee010de&amp;0xffe0ffff
				0x0f0010de&amp;0xffc0ffff
				0x104010de&amp;0xffc0ffff
				0x108010de&amp;0xffe0ffff

Also, you might want to install the latest CUDA update too. Cheers!

EDIT: Had ONE KP, but I think this may have been due to some permissions left unrepaired.....

Good sir I shall try this out! On a side note, do you know if this would work with the Lion DP? (Not trying to discuss Lion to make any disclosure about it, just curious if it works)

EDIT: must have done something wrong because when I used Multibeast and restarted my OS X won't boot. I get a KP, and the worst part is I didn't have a bootable backup ready. Oh well. Starting from scratch again it would seem.

I am having kernel panics as a result of my Nvidia card too...

I am unable to make the first changes you listed, but I did change the: NVDAGF100Hal.kext.

I hope this fixes it. :D It's the only thing keeping my system from being totally stable.

I am using an MSI 460 GTX 768MB

Blah101 said:
Good sir I shall try this out! On a side note, do you know if this would work with the Lion DP? (Not trying to discuss Lion to make any disclosure about it, just curious if it works)

EDIT: must have done something wrong because when I used Multibeast and restarted my OS X won't boot. I get a KP, and the worst part is I didn't have a bootable backup ready. Oh well. Starting from scratch again it would seem.

You can usually boot back in using Legacy iBoot Cd. In addition, you can also try booting in safe mode (via -x)

I also got a boot-panic due to my change from MacPro 3,1 to MacPro 5,1. So I booted in w/ my Legacy iBoot from TonyMac and changed it back to MacPro 3,1. I am not certain that the fix requires this and that it is absolutely vital for a MacPro 5,1 smbios configuration, but we shall see. :p

I always have a few spare HD's laying around from old builds, broke laptops, so I always Carbon Copy (free utility) my stable installations while I tinker around.

I have the exact same card you have 768mb GTX 460 but I have a different question. How do I get HDMI Audio to my LG HDTV, if you don't mind helping.

I've tried some DSDT edits but since I have teh 768mb GTX 460 I don't all of the info I've been going through across various forum sources are completely accurate for my model. I've patched the 1.8.4 AppleHDA and Controller kexts and used some DSDT editing I found on ProjectOSX InsanelyMac and other forums.

Please help.

I would love to try this, but I fear a non-booting system. Can someone else confirm if it works?

I'll go out on a limb and say this won't resolve the issue. I've reflashed my card to have very aggressive/high default speeds and voltage, and it will still crash eventually.

This is my first post and consequently my first build, I know, a little sketchy for the first post. I'm not trying to Hijack this thread or anything, I just want to add validity to my post so people will believe me.

I recently built a hackintosh with Asus Sabertooth x58, i7 950, gtx 460, and 12gb of corsair xms3 ram.

The process of the hackintosh seemed easy at first but ended up being a 2 day google searching ordeal. In the end the hackintosh worked. But that's not the subject of my reply.

After the install I ran multibeast with some tweaking for my build that I found on another site and installed the NVidia drivers per tonymacx86 instructions. After it was all said and done everything worked great except the graphics weren't up to snuff. Explanation: I ran OpenGL Extension Viewer on my quad core mac pro 1,1 at work and tallied the results. Then ran the same program on my hackintosh and the results were almost exact. I found this thread, did exactly what it said (against my better judgement fearing a bricked OS) and it worked. Framerates are right around where they should be or at least a lot higher than they were before. As for kernel crashes, so far so good.

Adamkpost said:
This is my first post and consequently my first build, I know, a little sketchy for the first post. I'm not trying to Hijack this thread or anything, I just want to add validity to my post so people will believe me.

I recently built a hackintosh with Asus Sabertooth x58, i7 950, gtx 460, and 12gb of corsair xms3 ram.

The process of the hackintosh seemed easy at first but ended up being a 2 day google searching ordeal. In the end the hackintosh worked. But that's not the subject of my reply.

After the install I ran multibeast with some tweaking for my build that I found on another site and installed the NVidia drivers per tonymacx86 instructions. After it was all said and done everything worked great except the graphics weren't up to snuff. Explanation: I ran OpenGL Extension Viewer on my quad core mac pro 1,1 at work and tallied the results. Then ran the same program on my hackintosh and the results were almost exact. I found this thread, did exactly what it said (against my better judgement fearing a bricked OS) and it worked. Framerates are right around where they should be or at least a lot higher than they were before. As for kernel crashes, so far so good.

How long it passed since that you didn't gelt a KB? Te reason I'm asking is because I once even had 2 straight days without a freeze but then I got it... It sometimes takes a while... Let me know

So far I have had a totally stable system. I would usually encounter a panic from my video card every 2 to 3 hours or so, with multiple things going on, video, background downloading etc. At the moment 30 hours later of constant up time w/ no panics, I am growing more and more confident. Giddy even :lol:

The only thing I did was the NVDAGF100Hal.kext hack listed. I did nothing else. I maintained my 3,1 macpro smbios.plist config.

I am running 10.6.7, mach_kernel 10.7.3 (apple vanilla), with bootloader Chameleon-2.0-RC5-r827 from http://www.kexts.com/cat/2-bootloaders.html. Rest of my specs are to the left in my post under my avatar. In additon, I have CUDA 4.0 installed w/ the latest nVidia driver from their Webiste: http://www.nvidia.com/object/quadro-mac ... river.html (Quadro Pro 4000 is correct for drivers for my 460gtx.. works great) and GraphicsEnabler=Yes in plist. I am using a custom DSDT I created myself.

For those w/ fear of making changes, just make backup copy of changed kext on desktop or favorite backup location du jour, and use your emergency cd if it goes wrong to undo changes. My emergency CD happens to be iBoot Legacy.

As for the person wanting to use HDMI, I have no advice. I havent used HDMI on my card at all.

If this ends up working, and well, for that matter either way I am very grateful. Thank you Sargent, you've helped point me in the right direction to a fix even if this doesn't work. But so far, it's a hell of a lot better than before :thumbup:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back