Graphics
Gigabyte GT240 1GB GDDR5 Silent Cell
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
GT240 owners, I am curious about the amount of noise your card fan generates? I have tried the Gigabyte GT240 DDR5 (newest BIOS) but discovered that the fan ran at full speed all the time. I tried to regulate it (in Win 7) with software but no luck. It seems as if that specific card has no automatic fan regulation?

I've read lots of positive reviews about the noise level of GT240 cards, but there was also a review (somewhere) that described that the Asus GT240 DDR5 come without automatic fan regulation. I know there are passive GT240 versions, but all of these are DDR3 based unfortunately.

So, those of you who have GT240 cards (in smaller cases), what cards do you have, do you hear the card fan at idle and is there any automatic fan speed regulation?

I had a gigabyte 240 and it ran full speed non stop in OSX. I have had that with all of my nvidia cards though (8600GT, 9800GT, 240GT). I have had a 4870 and my current 5770 both handled the fan speed themselves and worked fine in OSX.
I am sure some of the Nvidia cards to handle the speed onboard rather than via drivers, I have no idea which ones though.

It figures... Seems as if the GT240 is a good for a mainstream hackintosh and fairly easy to configure, but I don't want to add noise.

I've made some additional research and ran across a promo page for the Sparkle GT240 (http://www.sparkle.com.tw/News/SPGT240/ ... 40_en.html) where they claim that the card has some kind of noise control. It doesn't really say if this is managed through software only or an automatic feature of the card.

Are there any Sparkle GT240 users around that can leave a testimonial?
:)

Hi,

Maybe try to buy an Aftermarket passive VGA cooler like the Accelero

Yes, this is a good idea, but it shouldn't be necessary I feel :thumbdown:

There are passive GT240 cards available, but unfortunately none with DDR5 memory.

I have an EVGA GT240. I'm not sure if the fans are running at reduced speed or not, but it's super quiet (exactly the same sound levels as when I boot Windows 7). My system has virtually no fan noise. Unfortunately, the hard drives make quite a racket...

Tim

I have the EVGA GT 240 too- DDR3 version. It's a hand-me-down card, and didn't get it new. Love it for HDMI audio+video. Was working great, then suddenly I got this weird issue with the fan going on constantly.

Here's what I did:

The card has a little white plastic tab that inserts to the 2 pin fan header on the board. I simply removed that- sprayed some compressed air in and around the bit, and the fans, etc... Then replaced it and reinserted the card- then I got full fan speed control.

Don't know if that fixed some kind of short or something, but it's worth a try. It was going full blast, and now it's got speed control, and is somewhat quiet, for a fanned card. I really would love to get a passive 240, or do an aftermarket cooler for it, as it's in my Mini-ITX rig, and that's mostly meant as a HTPC.

Thanks Tim and Tony for input!

I've taken a closer look at some pictures of the EVGA GT240 card and it seems as if there are four wires that connects the fan on this specific card (http://www.evga.com/PRODUCTS/enlarge.as ... 240-LR&I=4)

As I understand it, the really cheap version is to attach a fan with just two wires (positive and negative) and to obtain fan regulation control, there has to be at least a third wire involved.

It makes me come to the conclusion that the EVGA GT240 card is more or less the only GT240 card that offers fan regulation. So, now I just have to figure out where to get one of those...

tonymacx86 said:
I have the EVGA GT 240 too- DDR3 version. It's a hand-me-down card, and didn't get it new. Love it for HDMI audio+video. Was working great, then suddenly I got this weird issue with the fan going on constantly.

Here's what I did:

The card has a little white plastic tab that inserts to the 2 pin fan header on the board. I simply removed that- sprayed some compressed air in and around the bit, and the fans, etc... Then replaced it and reinserted the card- then I got full fan speed control.

Don't know if that fixed some kind of short or something, but it's worth a try. It was going full blast, and now it's got speed control, and is somewhat quiet, for a fanned card. I really would love to get a passive 240, or do an aftermarket cooler for it, as it's in my Mini-ITX rig, and that's mostly meant as a HTPC.

So all you did was to simply spray compressed air on the fan leads and it worked? Anyone else with this result?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back