Contribute
Register

GT 740 + El Capitan Public Beta = ugh

Status
Not open for further replies.
Please boot verbose (space bar from the Clover menu) and post a photo of where it stops. Often we can fix the prohibited sign.
"This version of Mac OS X is not supported on this platform!
Reason: Mac-F2218BEC8"

Thanks p00l3y, only wish it was as simple as that for me :p

Also, ever since experimenting with my board ID (or potentially since switching to product ID iMac14,2), my USB devices no longer work. That could be annoying. What do you think?

Thanks p00l3y, only wish it was as simple as that for me :p

Also, ever since experimenting with my board ID (or potentially since switching to product ID iMac14,2), my USB devices no longer work. That could be annoying. What do you think?

Do you have an old copy of your EFI folder which worked previously? I keep an old sub key that always boots.

I remember when I was first hassling with this I had to change the system I'd to 3,1 or 5,1.

Sorry I haven't taken time to check your motherboard (I'm in between flights with limited time) do you have on board graphics? If so for now take the GT 740 out and boot using the on board, then try installing the driver. On the beta driver I had to change the sys def as mentioned above to do that. Otherwise I had a similar message to yours.

Apologies if you don't have onboard graphics as none of this would be relevant

I said this:

is: Mac-F2218EC8
probably should be: Mac-F221BEC8

You said this:

"This version of Mac OS X is not supported on this platform!
Reason: Mac-F2218BEC8"

See the extra 8 in there?

Anyway, that was only if you were using the SMBIOS system definition from before. If you change the SMBIOS with Clover Configurator, it should give you a new Board ID that's appropriate for the new model. Depending on which one you pick, it can cause USB problems, though. So setting it to MacPro3,1 is probably safest.

Do you have an old copy of your EFI folder which worked previously? I keep an old sub key that always boots.
Now I do, good idea :p

I remember when I was first hassling with this I had to change the system I'd to 3,1 or 5,1.
Is that iMac3,1/MacPro3,1/etc?

Sorry I haven't taken time to check your motherboard (I'm in between flights with limited time) do you have on board graphics? If so for now take the GT 740 out and boot using the on board, then try installing the driver. On the beta driver I had to change the sys def as mentioned above to do that. Otherwise I had a similar message to yours.
thanks for the suggestion, I'm a little stretched for time right now as well, so I'll try that soon.

See the extra 8 in there?

Anyway, that was only if you were using the SMBIOS system definition from before. If you change the SMBIOS with Clover Configurator, it should give you a new Board ID that's appropriate for the new model. Depending on which one you pick, it can cause USB problems, though. So setting it to MacPro3,1 is probably safest.
Ok, I now have new SMBIOS. However, after some experimenting (restoring config backup, restoring DSDT backup, removing DSDT), I've found that the DSDT is probably what's causing my USB problem - USB devices work fine after removing the DSDT.
I'm guessing that the DSDT is what should be allowing me to use graphics accel, but I can't check that it's working because my USB devices won't work. I'll have a look through with MaciASL once I get the time.

New info: Turns out the DSDT itself requires my product ID to be iMac10,1. I really should have read through the installation guide I mentioned on page 4 before posting on here.

However, the problem still remains - no graphics accel.
In the replies to that installation guide, people are saying that the 'generic' DSDT provided in the guide should work with NVIDIA cards, wonder what could be causing mine to fail?

Something else I found is this guide by tonymacx86 himself on enabling NVIDIA gfx via a DSDT: http://tonymacx86.blogspot.co.uk/2010/01/advanced-dsdt-fixes-nvidia-graphics.html
Though unfortunately the DSDT compiler returns some errors and can't save.

From multiple other threads, I'm getting the impression that the GT 740 IS compatible with El Capitan if you're using the product ID iMac14,1. Obviously I haven't been able to test this, as the USB fixes in the DSDT are only compatible with iMac10,1 (that's what I'm assuming anyway. Not a professional over here).

Q: Can anyone tell me how to alter the generic DSDT so that will work with other product IDs?

###UPDATE
My bad, I didn't realize DSDT doesn't depend on SMBIOS.

Someone on the guide thread mentioned above told me the dependence is actually in USB_Injector.kext, although updating that for iMac14,2 could cause my system to think I have a Haswell chip, potentially causing some power management problems.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back