CPU
i7-8550U
Graphics
UHD 620 (3840x2160)
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Hi all,

my gear listed below.

NVidia web drivers are incompatible, but I remembered using Yosemite without web drivers. No such luck with El Capitan. If I try to boot without nv_disable=1, kernel panic ends the fun. I tried NVidia inject in clover, nvda_drv=1, various other options, no dice. And nv_disable gives me 1600x1200 resolution and the "safe mode" effects of constantly redrawing windows.

Any hints? Thanks in advance.

Most people on here with a GT 740 have had to use the web drivers in Yosemite. You just have to wait or you have to modify the NVDADStartup.kext to try and get a Yosemite web driver to load in El Capitan. I had moderate success with that when I was testing beta1 with a GTX 970.

That sounds interesting – could you tell me how to modify NVDADStartup.kext?

In Yosemite GT 740 sort of worked, but sleep didn't work – every time I'd get kernel panic with "NVidia" prominent in the text. The web drivers only had one function for me, repairing sleep. But in El Capitan I can't get the card to work at all. Willing to experiment with kext :)

Lucky you! I'm tempted to buy a GTX760 right now but I can't really justify buying a new graphic card just so I can play with a 10.11 beta :D

I've made a bit of progress. (?) The kernel panic I got without nv_disable=1 would last perhaps 2 seconds before reboot but I managed to see it was EvOReboot causing it. So I deleted EvOReboot and now when booting with rootless=0 and NVidia inject I get through the initial loading phase, then I get a black screen and... wait for it... menu bar and mouse cursor blinks on and off and on and off for about a minute, then back it is to loading bar and spinning wheel. Repeat forever. It's like the system is stuck in a loop trying to do something. Unfortunately -v doesn't last long enough. Is there a way of accessing the boot log when booting from my Yosemite partition?

(Lack of) progress updates: I tried brute force. Changed the Distribution file in NVidia installer, but it caused "Javascript error". Edited systemversion.plist but other than changing the Clover icon (amusing) it did nothing.

Oh well. NVidia put out updated drivers for fifth public beta of Yosemite, right? I'll be back then unless someone smarter than me comes up with a solution.

(Lack of) progress updates: I tried brute force. Changed the Distribution file in NVidia installer, but it caused "Javascript error". Edited systemversion.plist but other than changing the Clover icon (amusing) it did nothing.

Oh well. NVidia put out updated drivers for fifth public beta of Yosemite, right? I'll be back then unless someone smarter than me comes up with a solution.

Having the same issue. I can only boot by using mobo built in graphics after removing GT740

Had No issues in 10.9, 10.10 with this card

Thanks for your post at least I know I'm not alone :)

You can use the 10.11 Nvidia Web Driver below.

Nvidia Web Driver - 346.03.01b06

NVDARequiredOS property is "15A" so they will work on any 10.11 Public Beta.

You can use the 10.11 Nvidia Web Driver below.

Nvidia Web Driver - 346.03.01b06

NVDARequiredOS property is "15A" so they will work on any 10.11 Public Beta.

You beat me to it!!!

I installed the web driver using the guide below

http://www.tonymacx86.com/graphics/...am-new-gigabyte-750-ti-2gb-graphics-card.html

Everything works properly now. updated to 10.11 DP6 Dual monitors running as follows

WooHoo back to normal!!!!!!

System Software Overview:

System Version: OS X 10.11 (15A244d)
Kernel Version: Darwin 15.0.0
Boot Volume: 1011
Boot Mode: Normal
Computer Name: ap’s iMac
User Name: ap (ap)
Secure Virtual Memory: Enabled
Time since boot: 2 minutes

NVIDIA GeForce GT 740:

Chipset Model: NVIDIA GeForce GT 740
Type: GPU
Bus: PCIe
Slot: PCI Slot 0
PCIe Lane Width: x16
VRAM (Total): 2047 MB
Vendor: NVIDIA (0x10de)
Device ID: 0x0fc8
Revision ID: 0x00a2
ROM Revision: VBIOS 80.07.d9.00.36
Displays:
Display:
Resolution: 1440 x 900 @ 60 Hz
Pixel Depth: 32-Bit Color (ARGB8888)
Display Serial Number: F0SI690174482
Mirror: Off
Online: Yes
Rotation: Supported
ASUS VS247:
Resolution: 1920 x 1080 @ 60Hz (1080p)
Pixel Depth: 32-Bit Color (ARGB8888)
Display Serial Number: D8LMTF140724
Main Display: Yes
Mirror: Off
Online: Yes
Rotation: Supported
Television: Yes

Lucky you! I'm tempted to buy a GTX760 right now but I can't really justify buying a new graphic card just so I can play with a 10.11 beta :D

Was thinking I would have to change the graphics card also but no need.

Persist a little more and you will get there. If you need any more help sing out!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back