Contribute
Register

Gt 730 working oob?

Status
Not open for further replies.
FWIW
I installed a GT 730 in a Mac Pro early 2008 and it works with 10.11.6 El Capitan, now I installed the appropriate web driver.

FWIW
I installed a GT 730 in a Mac Pro early 2008 and it works with 10.11.6 El Capitan, now I installed the appropriate web driver.

I pretend to get one of the GT 730 with GDDR5, it´s an MSI brand, what brand of GT 730 did you use? do you think the 730 will work with Sierra 10.12.5 ? did you use Clover? what version of clover if so? thanks !

Like I said, I installed it in a Mac Pro ;) No Hackinstosh (yet) so no Clover involved. It's an 'early 2008' Mac Pro 3,1. It's now declared vintage by Apple, meaning they no longer support it, for example they no longer build OS X for it. (You can probably somehow trick it into using 10.12, but 10.11 works fine for me.)

The brand is GigaByte. It shouldn't make a difference what brand you use though. I choose this particular model because it can handle 4K, it's cheap and has no fans, thus is 100% quiet, which I think is a very nice perk.

I think it's evil to stop supporting hardware just because it's n years old. It still runs cirkels around many recent Macs and PC's. I plan on keeping and using it as long as it works nicely.

For decades, I used to make sure I always had two up-to-date Macs, so in case one broke down, I could always use the other. For example, I now have a 15' retina 2013 MBP as well.

I'm lurking around here now and then because I plan on building a Hackintosh for my next computer though. I'll probably wait for High Sierra and use a Kabe Lake CPU and put it in the aluminium case of my old G5, another victim of the bad solder debacle.

Like I said, I installed it in a Mac Pro ;) No Hackinstosh (yet) so no Clover involved. It's an 'early 2008' Mac Pro 3,1. It's now declared vintage by Apple, meaning they no longer support it, for example they no longer build OS X for it. (You can probably somehow trick it into using 10.12, but 10.11 works fine for me.)

The brand is GigaByte. It shouldn't make a difference what brand you use though. I choose this particular model because it can handle 4K, it's cheap and has no fans, thus is 100% quiet, which I think is a very nice perk.

I think it's evil to stop supporting hardware just because it's n years old. It still runs cirkels around many recent Macs and PC's. I plan on keeping and using it as long as it works nicely.

For decades, I used to make sure I always had two up-to-date Macs, so in case one broke down, I could always use the other. For example, I now have a 15' retina 2013 MBP as well.

I'm lurking around here now and then because I plan on building a Hackintosh for my next computer though. I'll probably wait for High Sierra and use a Kabe Lake CPU and put it in the aluminium case of my old G5, another victim of the bad solder debacle.

Hey dude! I have a vintage Mac Pro 3,1 and I plan on getting a modern graphics card upgrade for it, so I was looking around to see what's compatible for it. It looks like you have a GT 730 in yours, if you could update me on how it's treating you please tell me! I'd love to know because I'm looking for a good cheap new card for it. Thanks.

Like I said, I wanted a silent, affordable card that could handle a 4K monitor. This one does the trick.

I mainly use it for 'office' type of work and developing websites, browsing the web and watching some video.

It does 30 frames per second so it's not the best for watching top quality video and gaming fanatics, but I don't even notice that. Web video is usually not that pixel perfect anyway.

Like I said, I wanted a silent, affordable card that could handle a 4K monitor. This one does the trick.

I mainly use it for 'office' type of work and developing websites, browsing the web and watching some video.

It does 30 frames per second so it's not the best for watching top quality video and gaming fanatics, but I don't even notice that. Web video is usually not that pixel perfect anyway.
Cool, cool. One other thing, does it need any power cord to give it enough power or is the mac pros power enough?

I can confirm it doesn't use a power cord :) Just the PCI / onboard power.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back