i5-4590
Graphics
RX-580 4GB (Sapphire)
Mac
  1. iMac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hello,
I updated my build (i3-3245, GA-B75M-D3H, GT640) to Yosemite, and have recently been having issues that didn't occur in Mavericks. When I try to boot, it takes multiple tries to actually get into the system for some reason. I either get no signal to the monitor after the boot screen (i.e. it is is at the point when it should go into the login screen but instead goes black), or the system shows a white screen with a cursor. Usually after a few tries and booting with UseKernelCache=No in chimera, I am able to get into the system, and everything is fine.

Does anyone know how to fix this?
Thanks!

Haha this is going to sound weird but when the screen goes blank unplug the video cable and re plug it in (from the monitor). I have to do this sometimes.
Hope it works!

Hi, thanks for the tip, I actually had tried that, with no luck.

However, I actually managed to fix the problem! I installed the NVidia Web Driver (http://www.nvidia.com/download/driverResults.aspx/78853/en-us), and then in my org.chameleon.boot.plist, added the string nvda_drv=1, and then in System preferences enabled the web driver, and now all seems to be fine! I can reboot and everything works as it should.

I'm having similar kind of similar issue but hasardly goes to kernel panic or everything is fine after booting twice :
First with -f flag, second without ..
Did you put nvda_drv=1 in Kernel flags ?

Thx

I have the same issue with a GT 640, but unfortunately the web driver won't install on 10.10.1, it gives an error that it's not for this version. So I guess we have to wait for Nvidia to update.

I took the GT 640 out for now, and am just running off of my GTX 680

Thanks a bunch. This really helped me out. I was daunted trying to figure where to even start troubleshooting with such an intermittent issue. Now my system boots consistently and I don't have to dread a restart wondering if I will get my screen back. What's strange is my 3rd monitor would continue to work as it was connected via a display link USB adapter. Bravo!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back