Graphics
ati eah 5770
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
So, recently went from using a hacked Snow Leopard install to the iBoot + Multibeast method with a retail disc. I have everything working it seems. But I've run into a little problem.

I like to game and my card is not ramping up to give me enough power. It's an Nvidia GT 240 by Galaxy. 1 GB memory.

Because I did the installs and two separate hard drives, I've been swapping back and forth to test some things. Both installs show to have the exact same display and opengl drivers installed. I've swapped DSDT files and created new ones for both to test. I've even swapped the entire Extensions folder from the new install to the old to make sure there wasn't some kext file I was overlooking. The old still outperformed.

With tests in OpenGL Extensions Viewer, the old install ranges from 1700 fps to 2100 fps. The new install won't top 310 fps. I noticed though that when running on the old installation, it actually starts out at the same ~300 fps, but then jumps up. The new install never makes that jump. It stays throttled down. I don't know where else to look.

I believe nVidia cards have some sort of power throttling, so they save energy and also generate less heat when you don't need much power. It should detect workload and change frequency to either idle or full load accordingly. So your problem might be it's not detecting the workload if that makes any sense to you. It does happen on windows with some cards too. Depends often on driver and settings.

Now I read title of thread again and realized you probably know why it is happening... Sorry.

Apparently my previous install had a modified IOPCIFamily.kext. Not sure how I came across it last time. :p Turns out I didn't swap out the Extensions folders correctly when I was testing and missed it. Kext is attached for anyone who cares.

... wrong. Coincidence apparently. A few reboots later and it's back to staying throttled. Not really sure what's changed.

Attachments

• IOPCIFamily.kext.zip
    145.4 KB · Views: 56
Sort of seems fixed. Not entirely sure. I screwed around with multibeast until it worked. :-/ Anywho, fast for now. We'll see if it lasts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back