i7-7700k
Graphics
EVGA 1070 SC
i7-7700k
MSI Z270 Gaming Pro Carbon
EVGA GTX 1070 SC
850 EVO 1 TB

Hi, I am new to Hackintoshing and have followed the instructions located on
One issue I found that might just be a id10t error, is that when you choose graphics I choose Nvidia even though I have a gtx 1070 and it called for older GPUs I did this the second attempt of installing just incase I was missing something it would fail out on installing to the USB.
I got to the point where I installed the boot USB in my system and it went to a black screen saying
"
GRUB loading
Welcome to GRUB!
error: unkown filesystem.
Entering rescue mode...
grub rescue>
"
I did some research here and found some things on how to get by this and was unsuccessful, looked something like this with the drives changed of course...
"
set root=(hd0,6)
set prefix=(hd0,6)/boot/grub
insmod normal
normal
"
After the "insmod normal" it will repeat "error: unknown filesystem" with every drive listed with "ls".
Any ideas will of course be appreciated.

You are somewhat wasting your time with Mojave as there are as yet no drivers for your GTX 1070.

You are somewhat wasting your time with Mojave as there are as yet no drivers for your GTX 1070.
/
So do you think I would have better luck with High Sierra?

/
So do you think I would have better luck with High Sierra?
Luck plays no part in the process.
It does increase the chance of success when you use parts that are supported though so yes, High Sierra is currently a better choice than Mojave.

i7-7700k
MSI Z270 Gaming Pro Carbon
EVGA GTX 1070 SC
850 EVO 1 TB

Hi, I am new to Hackintoshing and have followed the instructions located on
One issue I found that might just be a id10t error, is that when you choose graphics I choose Nvidia even though I have a gtx 1070 and it called for older GPUs I did this the second attempt of installing just incase I was missing something it would fail out on installing to the USB.
I got to the point where I installed the boot USB in my system and it went to a black screen saying
"
GRUB loading
Welcome to GRUB!
error: unkown filesystem.
Entering rescue mode...
grub rescue>
"
I did some research here and found some things on how to get by this and was unsuccessful, looked something like this with the drives changed of course...
"
set root=(hd0,6)
insmod normal
normal
"
After the "insmod normal" it will repeat "error: unknown filesystem" with every drive listed with "ls".
Any ideas will of course be appreciated.

• As P1LGRIM already warned, you will be wasting your time trying to install Mojave as long as you have that Mojave-unsupported Nvidia EVGA GTX 1070 SC in your Motherboard's PCIE slot.

• Your hardware listed in your profile is still good for macOSMojave , if you remove your Nvidia Card.

• If you reboot (force reboot) from where you find yourself now and go to BIOS setup and change the Initial Display to IGFX or IGD ( from current PCIE or PEG)and set the DVMT Pre-Allocated to minimum 64M ( preferably 128M) and save the BIOS setting and reboot and on MSI Splash screen Shut down the PC , disconnect Power Cable, Detach the Digital Video Cable from Nvidia PCIE and connect it to corresponding Digital port (HDMI , DVI or DP) of the Intel HD 630 and then open the computer case and remove the Nvidia GTX 1070 from its PCIE slot safely and disconnect the Power or SATA Cable from the Linux hard disk which is giving you the "Grub loading " error, leaving only the Blank hard disk Targeted for Mojave installation connected to SATA Port-0 , you have a better chance to install Mojave.

Thank you for your replies. I attempted an install of High Sierra and ran into the same issue on boot and did find a forum post saying that a 1070ti was supported and found my GPU in the Buyer's Guide so I figured I may make more headway in that regard.
I would rather have my GPU than have Mojave so I wouldn't be too upset going with High Sierra I would just prefer not going with integrated graphics, honestly I forgot that i7-7700k had integrated graphics and apologize cmn699 for waisting their time.
disconnect the Power or SATA Cable from the Linux hard disk which is giving you the "Grub loading " error, leaving only the Blank hard disk Targeted for Mojave installation connected to SATA Port-0 , you have a better chance to install Mojave.
This happens when I boot into the USB after I use UniBeast 2 to add High Sierra with the only other drive being my 850 EVO. Would I disconnect the SSD I am kind of confused on what you're saying I apologize. Would I still need to modify the video settings if I went with High Sierra?

Thank you for your replies. I attempted an install of High Sierra and ran into the same issue on boot and did find a forum post saying that a 1070ti was supported and found my GPU in the Buyer's Guide so I figured I may make more headway in that regard.
I would rather have my GPU than have Mojave so I wouldn't be too upset going with High Sierra I would just prefer not going with integrated graphics, honestly I forgot that i7-7700k had integrated graphics and apologize cmn699 for waisting their time.

This happens when I boot into the USB after I use UniBeast 2 to add High Sierra with the only other drive being my 850 EVO. Would I disconnect the SSD I am kind of confused on what you're saying I apologize. Would I still need to modify the video settings if I went with High Sierra?

• GRand Unified Bootloader, is a Linux Bootloader that can also boot Windows.
  • To get that "Grub boot error" you'd posted earlier, there should be one disk containing Linux Operating System in your Computer with a corrupt Grub file that cannot boot the Linux Disk it is intended to boot causing that error.
The troubleshoot you had written there
set root=(hd0,6)
insmod normal
normal
is to see if the Linux disk could be booted changing the boot Partition.

• My previous response you had quoted was based on the Data you had posted at #1 .
  • I had no idea about your proficiency in Linux.
  • But the way you presented your first post and the troubleshoot you attempted appeared to be from somebody who is new to Hackintosh but coming from Linux background!
only other drive being my 850 EVO. Would I disconnect the SSD I am kind of confused on what you're saying I apologize.

• What does your 850 EVO contain? What size is that? Is it a Blank SSD from SamSung? Dose it already contain any OS or Data? Unless you are very specific and clear in forum communication, we cannot give you any useful response.
  • All Forum communication is done through your written messages, uploaded Verbose Mode screen shots and requested files you have uploaded to troubleshoot
  • If 850 EVO is the only hard disk on your SATA port and you have created your macOS HighSierra USB Installer disk properly in a Real Mac using Install macOS High Sierra downloaded from Apple store to the Applications folder and used an approved method like Unibeast on a 8-16 GB Flash disk Erased in Disk Utilty in GUID +HFS+J and made that successfully created macOS High Sierra UEFI USB Installer as the First Boot Device in the BIOS and booted , you should NOT be getting a "Welcome to Grub " screen and "unknown file system error" once again.
Would I still need to modify the video settings if I went with High Sierra?

• To install macOS High Sierra using your Nvidia PCIE graphics card , you don't have to make any hardware changes
  • You don't need to change Graphics option in the BIOS. You can use the Initial Display as PCIE (=PEG) and disable IGFX or IGD.
  • You have to use nv_disable=1 , dart=0 -v boot flags until installation is completed on the hard disk.
  • After install you have to download and install Nvidia Web driver linked in Tonymac Downloads.
  • This installation require careful steps .
  • Read the posts from Forum about Nvidia Web Drivers installation BEFORE launching the downloaded Nvidia Web Driver or else you will have to come back to the Forum asking for help to fix major display issues because of messed up Nvidia Web driver installation.
edited to add:
Is there a Linux Live Disc in the Optical Drive or any Linux Flash disk in any of the USB ports to cause that GRUB error?

I am baffled by that error!
It can happen in my systems, because I have many triple boot Computers and sometimes I can leave 'half baked disks" in the DVD drive or USB ports absentmindedly and face the wrath of the booting computer as a punishment!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back