Contribute
Register

Grey Screen/Spinning Ball when booting installer

Status
Not open for further replies.
After multiple retries and configurations I followed what chrismartino suggested,

Re-copied the config.plist to /EFI/CLOVER
Removed all 10.X folders from /EFI/CLOVER/KEXTS and copied the FakeSMC, NullCPUPowerManagement & AppleIntelE1000e kexts into the Other folder.

Booted into Clover, ran the installer in verbose and no more grey screen was able to install.

Although, after installing initially the drive OSX is installed too wasn't appearing in Clover so run the installer again not in verbose mode to finalise the install.

All is now working great for myself, hopefully the new Unibeast will be released shortly to fix some of these bugs.

Cheers,
chris

Quick question: what do you mean you re-copied the config.plst to that folder? Mine is already sitting in that folder...did you use a fresh copy of the config.plist? I tried removing all of the 10.X folders but still stuck at beachball...My fear of replacing that config.plist is that I already have a lot of stuff updated in mine like my RAM info, and all my stuff to get iMessage working.

My solution for :beachball::
- Remove all 10.x folders from kexts.
- Place FakeSMC.kext and NullCPUPowerManagement.kext in Other.
- boot with -v nv_disable=1 rootless=0

That works for me.

My solution for :beachball::
- Remove all 10.x folders from kexts.
- Place FakeSMC.kext and NullCPUPowerManagement.kext in Other.
- boot with -x nv_disable=1 rootless=0

That works for me.

Do you think I would do nv_disable=1 if I use an AMD card instead of NVIDIA? I haven't tried safe mode (-x) or the rootless argument, so I'll try those when i get home. Thanks.

Do you think I would do nv_disable=1 if I use an AMD card instead of NVIDIA? I haven't tried safe mode (-x) or the rootless argument, so I'll try those when i get home. Thanks.

-x is a typo by me, sorry :).
I think that nv_disable is useless for you. But you can try. I have tried all possible combinations with (-v nv_disable rootless)

Which screen do you get? a loader or a grey screen?

-x is a typo by me, sorry :).
I think that nv_disable is useless for you. But you can try. I have tried all possible combinations with (-v nv_disable rootless)

Which screen do you get? a loader or a grey screen?

I get the gray screen, then see the spinning beachball but nothing happens after that. I tried running in verbose mode, but right before it gets to the gray screen with beachball, the commands load really quickly then it goes away so I can't see. Before I get to that, I see this:
IMG_2831.JPG

To summarize what I did:
1 - Updated Clover Installer
2 - Updated Clover Configurator, then added the RTvariables per the instructions
3 - Removed all 10.X folders and moved my 3 kexts that I need to the Other folder
4 - Restart, click on Boot OS X Installer

Get spinning beachball with nothing else happening. Tried a few different SMBIOS profiles (like iMac 14,2 and MacPro 3,1), but reverted to my old one because I had stuff in there for iMessage to work. Should I try copying and pasting the default config.plist? I didn't want to do that because I don't want to lose all of the edits I had made over the past few months.

I started fresh following the guide to do the update and everything worked!

I copied the kexts to 10.10, 10.11 and other folders.

booted with -v nv_disabled=1 rootless=0

Can you make a screenshot of your kexts?
Install your network kexts later, i think that you placed your fakesmc wrong.

For those of you who still have issues. I removed all my folders and put just my FakeSMC.kext in the "Other" folder. I booted with -v nv_disable rootless=0 AND I had to select "Boot with injected kext" from the clover screen to get FakeSMC to be used, otherwise it didn't work. Right now my updater is running.

I had similar issues with the some of the betas and was struggling a lot more than I ever had and I've been hacking for a while and understand the os very well. Then one day it dawned on me to try dropping all oem tables which I've never needed to do on this particular hackintosh I always test on. Once I did that the system acted as normal. I have all my kexts in the 10.11 folder that I created long before clover was update to include it. The real kicker here isn't the folder its the SIP on /L/E and /S/L/E and for me also dropping OEM tables. One can boot to the recovery partition of El Capitan doesn't work in earlier editions and run terminal to check the status of SIP by entering it can be checked in terminal of normal boot up but can't be disabled there
csrutil status
it will then tell you the status you can also use this to disable it completely use
csrutil disable
This will completely disable all SIP
Making it easier to hackintosh

Make sure not to have any other folders than "Other" in Clover/kexts. No 10.10, no 10.11 folder.
Put yourEthernet.kext AND FakeSMC.kext in remaining "Other" folder.
Also verify that you have the FSInject-64.efi Driver in Clover/Drivers64UEFI.

That solved it for me.
Error code 255 and xpc.launchd debug messages indicate FakeSMC has not been injected.

I think there are still Clover kext injection issues with El Capitan 10.11 Release, as there were with Betas and GM Candidate.
Although putting kexts in 10.11 folder, Clover doesn't recognize and inject them as it should.

Thanks, you saved me from a lot if trouble

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back