CPU
i7-10700
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Wondered if anyone had any thoughts on what this issue might be? My Hackintosh setup works great and in terms of displays, each monitor looks fine to me.

However, just recently something has changed such that very light grey backgrounds become indistinguishable from white. I'd never have noticed as every app looks fine in general use, but often I need to drag white objects on top of very light grey backgrounds and when I do the two colours look identical. I first noticed it Chrome where input fields didn't stand out against their grey backgrounds, but this isn't solely a browser thing as it happens in Sketch & I've also tested all my other browsers.

I've also tried repeating the same tests by VNC'ing to a remote Mac and the same thing happens, which rules out much of my local OS as I'm on a remote machine of course. To demonstrate the point, ttached is a ropey photo of the same website open in Safari on a Macbook and on the affected desktop hackintosh. Both machines have the same macOS and Safari version. On the Macbook there's a clear distinction between the main grey background and the white header, but on the desktop they look the same to me

Obviously I've tried fiddling with contrast & brightness settings on my monitors with no joy and it's exactly the same issue on both the little Cinema Displays I have and the main Dell screen. Really weird and it's only recently started happening. The only common thing I can think of is my GPU (AMD RX580), but it's natively supported OOB and... well, this doesn't really feel like a hardware fault it feels like...it feels like something I don't understand!

Thanks,

Steve

IMG_20190918_154509.jpg

Have you tried a different display profile ?
profile.png

Unfortunately, yes. All of them . ;-)

Bingo! Well, sort of. This weird behavior seems to be specific to my account login.

If I login with Guest on the same machine, same monitor, all is well. See attached screenshot - the white backgrounds are clearly defined against a light grey for Guest, but on my login the grey background is practically white.

Does anyone know of some preferences (Display?) I could delete in the hope that the system will recreate them?

Thanks.

IMG_20190919_135310_jpg_and_Viktory_Student_Features.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back