Contribute
Register

gray screen hang up following 10.6.8 update - a little help?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Asus P8Z 68-V LE
CPU
i5 > Need model # > See Rules!
Graphics
GTX 650
i'm pretty new to this and getting frustrated. for a couple days now i've been trying this and reading a buttload of these forum threads. i still managed to get stuck.

ASUS P8Z68-V LE board
i5-2500
ATI Radeon HD 5450

Here's what i did:
-iBoot CD
-retail DVD 10.6 install
-reboot

-multibeast
-easybeast
-system utilites
-reboot

-update helper
-reboot

-MultiBeast
-easybeast
-System Utilities
-Reboot

-update 10.6.8
-multibeast
-easybeast
-system utilities

-reboot

I get a hang up on the grey mac logo screen, sometimes it has the ticking circle, other times nothing. i tried using the disk utility app on the install disk to repair the disk permissions. still the same.

when i attempted a boot with "-v" i get this business:
photo(1).JPG

Thanks in advance,

Attachments

• photo(1).JPG
    photo(1).JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 407
[PCI configuration begins] stuck is a common problem, but could be because of different causes.

Try adding one or combinations of the below boot parameters

PCIRootUID=0
PCIRootUID=1
npci=0x2000
GraphicsEnabler=yes
GraphicsEnabler=no

try google and you'll get a lot of results for your problem

If you have no specific reason to use SnowLeopard, I would suggest using Lion

PS : Try not to post photos upside down

I'm stuck at the same point, but with a lion boot.
I tried all of those boot commands, and I'm still getting stuck at the same spot. Help!

Try removing the ATI graphics card and boot with HD3000. That should get you to desktop, but without hardware accelleration

thanks for your help.

npci-0x2000 and GraphicsEnabler=no got me back into the desktop. but now it won't recognize my USB flash drive, which has multibeast on it.

i also tried to remove the ATI graphics card but then the two boot flags above don't work to get me back to the desktop.

I suppose i could start over and save multibeast to the desktop before i run the 10.6.8 update. any other suggestions to get USB flash drive back?

You may have replace a few kexts, namely
IOUSBFamily
IOUSBMassStorage

I think there is an option for that in multibeast - IOUSB rollback or something.
You should have backed up those kexts before the update.
Try searching for them in the net, you'll find a lot (only some of them will work for you, u have to find which), try them one by one, reboot and if that doesnt work, download another.

Having same issue here - successfully installed multibeast and combo update. However, when I restart everything halts at the gray apple screen. Tried every bootup option above as well as anything I could found searching through the forums. No luck. I've formatted and reinstalled probably a dozen times now trying different things.

I changed 2 SLE kext modified by netkas to override
PCI Configuration halt.

Google -> dell 1330 netkas kexts

to find them.

Backup yours before you try them.

mlpsencik said:
Having same issue here - successfully installed multibeast and combo update. However, when I restart everything halts at the gray apple screen. Tried every bootup option above as well as anything I could found searching through the forums. No luck. I've formatted and reinstalled probably a dozen times now trying different things.

Always boot with -v until you have completed seting up the hackintosh. There is not much info to be got from "halts at the gray apple screen"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back