Contribute
Register

Graphics compatibility with 11.10.6 El Capitan: Should I downgrade os or wait for the gpu driver?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z170X Gaming 7
CPU
i7-6700
Graphics
GTX 970
Hello Guys! I´veinstalled my first hackingtosh barely succesful!! I just realized that 3 days ago there were out the os x update of El Capitan, so I dont have a graphics card driver for it, I found and installed this one, but seems that it doesn´t support Gigabyte Gtx 970.

What should I do? Should I look for an older version of os x? or should I wait for the web driver? I don´t know how much should it take, I suppose there would update from the apple settings nvidia tool... Am I right?

Other wise... Is there other alternative to get the graphics card work at full capacity?

Thank you, I hope my question is not too stupid :D

BTW: Great forum!!!

Hey, congrats on the Hack.

970 should work especially with the new drivers for .6

Are you getting a black screen?

If you can boot with nv_disable=1 and remove nVidia webdrivers and CUDA (if you have it) completely, then reboot with nv_disable=1 again and install the drivers again, it should work.

There really is no way to downgrade, you have to reinstall OS X. If you download the latet El Capitan from the App Store, it will be 10.11.6

But people here have what you have and they don't seem to have a problem.

Please post the rest of your hardware in your profile so we can better help you.

The driver you installed 100% supports your GPU so we need to know more. Why do you think it is not supported? What is happening?

According to this Thread, it is working, even when the Prefs Panel says it is using OS X Default Drivers.

But I´m having an awful underscan, if i not uncheck the Overscan. But with Overscann I lose the menu bar and part of the programs bar.

As you can see I´m not using a monitor, I´m using a polaroid screen. Don´t know if that haves something to do with it...

Thank you guys.

View media item 187202 TooMuchOverscan.jpg

If your GPU is recognized with its correct name and correct amount of VRAM in "About your Mac" then you should be fine.

Overscan / underscan issues usually occur when using HDMI connection with TVs (or "TV like" displays). Your display should provide an option in its OSD to enable "PC mode" or something like that.

As an example of what Florian is saying, I have a Samsung TV where a PC must be connected to HDMI-1 on the TV and you have to set the name of the port to either PC or DVI-PC.

If your GPU is recognized with its correct name and correct amount of VRAM in "About your Mac" then you should be fine.

Gladly It all is correct, so I can be sure my graphics card is working even when the little envidia eye on the top bar says it is using the OS X DEFAULT DRIVER?

As an example of what Florian is saying, I have a Samsung TV where a PC must be connected to HDMI-1 on the TV and you have to set the name of the port to either PC or DVI-PC.

Cool, I´ll work on that, I set my tv on PC but it turned blue as if it wouldn´t have any signal, but this tv is weird so I´m gonna try PC mode while restarting to see if it activates when the signal of the computer comes to it.

Guys I love you all! thank you for everything :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back