Contribute
Register

Graphics card suggestion for 2d/3d workstation?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hi everyone, I was hoping to get a graphics card suggestion for my computer, I currently am running windows but am envious of some of the design software that's in the mac ecosystem like sketch and tumult hype. I primarily use my system for illustration and design work, I also run maya/unity from time to time and do some modeling/texturing. Anyway, here's what I have currently:
MOBO: Gigabyte GA-Z87-UD5H LGA
CPU: i5-4670
RAM: G.Skill ripjaws x series (2 x 8gb)
ASUS HD7770

Can I get something comparable to the HD7770 on the Nvidia side? Also, if the ram looks like it's going to pose a problem, please give me a heads up. Ultimately, I just want a cheap stop gap until I can afford an Imac in about a year or so, but it also needs to be stable enough for professional work. I currently have a copy of snow leopard from my other mac, is there going to be any license issues by installing it on a second pc?

Thanks in advance.

Hi everyone, I was hoping to get a graphics card suggestion for my computer, I currently am running windows but am envious of some of the design software that's in the mac ecosystem like sketch and tumult hype. I primarily use my system for illustration and design work, I also run maya/unity from time to time and do some modeling/texturing. Anyway, here's what I have currently:
MOBO: Gigabyte GA-Z87-UD5H LGA
CPU: i5-4670
RAM: G.Skill ripjaws x series (2 x 8gb)
ASUS HD7770

Can I get something comparable to the HD7770 on the Nvidia side? Also, if the ram looks like it's going to pose a problem, please give me a heads up. Ultimately, I just want a cheap stop gap until I can afford an Imac in about a year or so, but it also needs to be stable enough for professional work. I currently have a copy of snow leopard from my other mac, is there going to be any license issues by installing it on a second pc?

Thanks in advance.

The 7770 will work quite well - no need for an nVidia card. Ram is OK, too.
Is "copy of snow leopard from my other mac" on a grey DVD or is it the retail white DVD with a pic of the cat on it? If grey DVD, will not work - this is a recovery disc for your Mac and is specific to your Mac.

Yeah, I've got the retail DVD. I'm glad to know that I won't have to buy anything special.
Thanks for the reply.

The 7770 will work quite well - no need for an nVidia card.

There's a CUDA plugin for Maya that takes full advantage of Nvidia GPU's. So while not necessary they're pretty nice to have for rendering.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back