1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Classic
  2. Performa
  3. Power Mac
Mobile Phone
  1. Windows Phone
Hi there. I'm such a noob in this forum (I posted something years ago about a supermicro motherboard... I don't even remember..).

I was looking for a nice laptop to renew my hardware (I have a late 2008 MPB that is giving its lasts..).

At first I was completely into switching to PC (Apple laptops really suck at the moment) and then Tony came to my mind. I stumbled on this site after all this time and I saw great improvement on Hackintoshing :D.

Let's get to the point boys. I want to know, the most detailed way, what I can do with Dual Graphics Laptops.

I would like to have CUDA acceleration (I use Adobe products), so I would look for an NVIDIA-equipped machine.

My situation is the following:
I would like to install El Capitan or Yosemite on a PC laptop (maybe double boot with Win10, just for Microsoft's sake). I don't need Nvidia Optimus feature because I already know that it's OOB. I would only like to use BOTH cards at the same time. Or at least I would like to have the dedicated one (even if always on - I dont care about power saving) available for computing purposes. And I would like to know if it would be possible to adress an external monitor to the dedicated card and the internal one to the Intel HD card.

Thanks and sorry for the noob post.

Hi there. I'm such a noob in this forum (I posted something years ago about a supermicro motherboard... I don't even remember..).

I was looking for a nice laptop to renew my hardware (I have a late 2008 MPB that is giving its lasts..).

At first I was completely into switching to PC (Apple laptops really suck at the moment) and then Tony came to my mind. I stumbled on this site after all this time and I saw great improvement on Hackintoshing :D.

Let's get to the point boys. I want to know, the most detailed way, what I can do with Dual Graphics Laptops.

I would like to have CUDA acceleration (I use Adobe products), so I would look for an NVIDIA-equipped machine.

My situation is the following:
I would like to install El Capitan or Yosemite on a PC laptop (maybe double boot with Win10, just for Microsoft's sake). I don't need Nvidia Optimus feature because I already know that it's OOB. I would only like to use BOTH cards at the same time. Or at least I would like to have the dedicated one (even if always on - I dont care about power saving) available for computing purposes. And I would like to know if it would be possible to adress an external monitor to the dedicated card and the internal one to the Intel HD card.

Thanks and sorry for the noob post.

Not a guide. Moved to laptop support.

Dual graphics Nvidia laptops are usually Optimus (switched dual-GPU). In the Optimus config, only the Intel GPU can be used on OS X.

See FAQ: http://www.tonymacx86.com/el-capita...faq-read-first-laptop-frequent-questions.html

Some laptops are configured with Nvidia on external ports, and Intel for the internal screen, but they are rare. For example, the HP Zbook is configured that way (based on information from reports here), but so far no one has achieved both working. Not sure if that is due to lack of skill or the inherent difficulty of making both work.

You might consider building a desktop instead.

Not a guide. Moved to laptop support.

Sorry man I thought I was into laptop support section. My fault.

You might consider building a desktop instead.

I would like to have a portable solution because at the moment I have a nice desktop hardware but I'm often somewhere else at work. So I would like to have a laptop.

Not sure if that is due to lack of skill or the inherent difficulty of making both work.

So buying an HP Zbook would be a jump on the void without any certainty. I can say that I'm nicely skilled with Apple systems. But I'm not into trial and fail, especially if the hardware isn't cheap! Yep I know that I would have a beast anyway but I was going to switch to PC also because of cheapness!

So buying an HP Zbook would be a jump on the void without any certainty. I can say that I'm nicely skilled with Apple systems. But I'm not into trial and fail, especially if the hardware isn't cheap! Yep I know that I would have a beast anyway but I was going to switch to PC also because of cheapness!

Yes... by the looks of it... ZBook not cheap. Better to buy new MacBook Pro.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back