Contribute
Register

Graphic card advice

Status
Not open for further replies.
adt said:
Thanks for your answer,

About price range, I would say the cheaper the better, but I rather pay for something that really works, or gives me a maximum of feature rather than save a few bucks. So I would tend to say that 350/400 would be around the max, but a 200 or less card would be great.

About ATI, with pro tools it's seems complicated. The issue with ATI card seems to exist only on Windows, not on OSX, so if I have a working hackintosh for Pro Tools, I won't mind if Pro Tools doesn't work under Windows. I had good reviews of ATI under windows for my other purposes, so let's say that I could go the ATI way.

About size, a factor I forgot, if the card could take only one slot, that could be great, as I might need the PCIe 1x slot next in the future. If not possible, I can deal with it.

So it seems the choice narrows down for me to ATI 5770 cards.

Is there any advantages to use a Mac 5770 card (http://store.apple.com/us/product/MC742ZM/A) vs a PC 5770 card? would it work under Windows (I guess so since bootcamp exist). Mac cards have the following downsides: actives, taking two slots, and being more expensives.

A 1 slot active card could be the:
XFX ATI Radeon HD 5770 1 GB Single Slot - 1024 Mo Dual DVI/Mini DisplayPort
http://xfxforce.com/en-us/products/grap ... /5771.aspx

otherwise, what model would insure the best compatibility for a hackintosh?

best regards

Please do not buy a single slot ATI card - it will be a lot harder to get up and running ! A lot more faff !

Two slots shouldn't really be a massive issue in a case

notshy said:
Please do not buy a single slot ATI card - it will be a lot harder to get up and running ! A lot more faff !

Two slots shouldn't really be a massive issue in a case

+1

also remember a PCI E 1x card can go in the larger 1x slot.

mistermarkd said:
Are you recording audio? your choice of cpu cooler, fans, case, and PSU will have the biggest effect on noise levels. I am building a powerful, silent, bang for the buck system now and would be happy to share my component choices with you if you haven't purchases yet.

I for one would love to see your shopping list for a quiet recording rig!

oyrgawd said:
mistermarkd said:
Are you recording audio? your choice of cpu cooler, fans, case, and PSU will have the biggest effect on noise levels. I am building a powerful, silent, bang for the buck system now and would be happy to share my component choices with you if you haven't purchases yet.

this is rough and if anyone is interested in something more specific for their needs I would be happy to get more specific.

case: antec solo, antec p180 p183, or any of the fractal design define cases
h67 mother board
i5 2500 or a 2600 if my programs make use of hyper threading
seasonic x400 fanless power supply
scythe mugen 2 (there are better options that cost more, but I liek the PWN fan that comes with the mugen)
If the computer has to be in the same room as the mics I would only use a SSD and have a file server in another room. if It is away from the mics I would use as few WD green drives as possible as the HDD will be the the source of the most noise.

I would set up an intake fan blowing over the hard drive and an exhaust fan by the CPU. I would lower the fan speeds to about 300-600. the best fans would be noctura NF or nexus real silent.

right now it's too soon to use sandybridge with hackintosh, but it's the biggest thing to happen to quiet computing in a LONG time. If I was making a DAW that was in a room with microphones and wanted to build hackintosh I would wait until sandy bridge was working with OSX.

Also don't trust products that claim to be quiet or silent. generally it's quieter and not good enough for a serious silent build.

also if you are going to be using a mouse while recording nexus makes a nice quiet mouse that has muffled clicks and a quiet scroll wheel.

if you're serious about quiet computer builds I would HIGHLY recommend checking out silent PC review. The guys there REALLY know what they are talking about and have the best test procedures around.

mistermarkd said:
oyrgawd said:
mistermarkd said:

this is rough and if anyone is interested in something more specific for their needs I would be happy to get more specific.

case: antec solo, antec p180 p183, or any of the fractal design define cases
h67 mother board
i5 2500 or a 2600 if my programs make use of hyper threading
seasonic x400 fanless power supply
scythe mugen 2 (there are better options that cost more, but I liek the PWN fan that comes with the mugen)
If the computer has to be in the same room as the mics I would only use a SSD and have a file server in another room. if It is away from the mics I would use as few WD green drives as possible as the HDD will be the the source of the most noise.

I would set up an intake fan blowing over the hard drive and an exhaust fan by the CPU. I would lower the fan speeds to about 300-600. the best fans would be noctura NF or nexus real silent.

right now it's too soon to use sandybridge with hackintosh, but it's the biggest thing to happen to quiet computing in a LONG time. If I was making a DAW that was in a room with microphones and wanted to build hackintosh I would wait until sandy bridge was working with OSX.

Also don't trust products that claim to be quiet or silent. generally it's quieter and not good enough for a serious silent build.

also if you are going to be using a mouse while recording nexus makes a nice quiet mouse that has muffled clicks and a quiet scroll wheel.

if you're serious about quiet computer builds I would HIGHLY recommend checking out silent PC review. The guys there REALLY know what they are talking about and have the best test procedures around.

I've got the Fractal R2 and love it ! Only problem is the lack of reset button so I've got a cable dangling out the back of the case. I've put a variable fan controller at the back to turn the fans down when I'm using my Mic. I'm considering changing my Zalman CNSP 10x Quiet for a Noctua NH-D14 as I've heard some very good things about them and a heat sink that size has got to help.

notshy said:
I've got the Fractal R2 and love it ! Only problem is the lack of reset button so I've got a cable dangling out the back of the case. I've put a variable fan controller at the back to turn the fans down when I'm using my Mic. I'm considering changing my Zalman CNSP 10x Quiet for a Noctua NH-D14 as I've heard some very good things about them and a heat sink that size has got to help.

Noctura NH-D14 is probably the best cooler out there. I think it's overkill for most people. It does make sense for overclockers that also want to have quiet rigs. Sounds like you're in the having your cake and eating it too camp :) Also watch out for ivy bridge at the end of the year. It's going to be like sandy bridge only faster and cooler.

mistermarkd said:
notshy said:

Noctura NH-D14 is probably the best cooler out there. I think it's overkill for most people. It does make sense for overclockers that also want to have quiet rigs. Sounds like you're in the having your cake and eating it too camp :) Also watch out for ivy bridge at the end of the year. It's going to be like sandy bridge only faster and cooler.

I wanted a quiet build and have spent some cash on trying to do that but still can hear fan noise on my SE-X1 mic. I'm have a look at the possibility of getting a bigger heat sink for my 5770 just to quieten down that also but not sure how easy it is to remove a fan for a Graphics Card. There's always something to tinker with ...

We have a Music sub forum where you can read what other folks are using for their recording studio setup.

Check it out --> Music

notshy said:
I wanted a quiet build and have spent some cash on trying to do that but still can hear fan noise on my SE-X1 mic. I'm have a look at the possibility of getting a bigger heat sink for my 5770 just to quieten down that also but not sure how easy it is to remove a fan for a Graphics Card. There's always something to tinker with ...

well the good news is you have a nice mic. I have read good things about the Arctic Cooling Accelero Xtreme Plus. it can be controlled by the cards fan speed controller. Also you should be able to re-use it on future cards. Also consider getting a good case. it will lessen all the components of your build.

Currently Nividia cards, in my opinion, just arent worth the hassle, series 4xx 5xx anyway...
Recently RMA,d my GTS 450 because of the fermi freeze, constantly locking up and my 7600GT was no better (on its last legs, capacitors popped etc) in the end up i got Batmans Bus, and not a freeze in the place, well chuffed with it. :thumbup:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back