Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
ga-b75-3dh
CPU
i7 3770k
Graphics
RX 560
Hi all. My girlfriend 560ti just died. She's currently running Yosemite but would like to update at some point.

We'll have to replace the card, and the only thing set in stone is that it's Nvidia.

I advised for a GTX1050, but just now dicovered that iot has a bug in HMDI audio, which is sort of a deal breaker.

Which are the recommendations for a not too expensive, as hassle free as possible, Nvidia card?

Thanks!

Hi all. My girlfriend 560ti just died. She's currently running Yosemite but would like to update at some point.

We'll have to replace the card, and the only thing set in stone is that it's Nvidia.

I advised for a GTX1050, but just now discovered that it has a bug in HMDI audio, which is sort of a deal breaker.

Which are the recommendations for a not too expensive, as hassle free as possible, Nvidia card?

Thanks!

Yosemite? Then she can't use a GTX 1050 anyway, as there is no driver support. Do you mean to say that you want to find her a Nvidia graphics card that is compatible with Yosemite?

What is the hardware specification for your girlfriend's system?

To use a 10 series Nvidia card your girlfriend will need to upgrade to MacOS Sierra or High Sierra, as the Nvidia web drivers required are only available for Sierra and High Sierra. Note that current Nvidia cards are not supported under the latest Mojave because of the lack of Nvidia web drivers.

Yosemite? Then she can't use a GTX 1050 anyway, as there is no driver support. Do you mean to say that you want to find her a Nvidia graphics card that is compatible with Yosemite?

What is the hardware specification for your girlfriend's system?

To use a 10 series Nvidia card your girlfriend will need to upgrade to MacOS Sierra or High Sierra, as the Nvidia web drivers required are only available for Sierra and High Sierra. Note that current Nvidia cards are not supported under the latest Mojave because of the lack of Nvidia web drivers.

I wasn't aware of that, but updating MacOS if necessary is no deal-breaker. The reason we didn't to this point is that her old GTX560 ti wouldn't let us.

Her system is an old, but reliable one: Intel DX58so, Core i7920, 16gb of RAM.

What I'd like is a MacOS compatible Nvidia Card with decent specs and minimal possible amount of bugs.

I wasn't aware of that, but updating MacOS if necessary is no deal-breaker. The reason we didn't to this point is that her old GTX560 ti wouldn't let us.

Her system is an old, but reliable one: Intel DX58so, Core i7920, 16gb of RAM.

What I'd like is a MacOS compatible Nvidia Card with decent specs and minimal possible amount of bugs.

Apple has not used any Nvidia GPUs for at least 3 years. The last Macs to have a Nvidia GPU inside were in 2014. Instead Macs now use either Intel CPU integrated graphics or AMD GPUs. If you want to have native support and the least amount of problems, perhaps you should consider for her an AMD GPU like the RX 560.

Is there a reason for her to stick with Nvidia GPUs?

We've had some bad luck with AMD cards in the past, it's one of those things.

But I'll talk it over with her. Thanks for the advice.

We've had some bad luck with AMD cards in the past, it's one of those things.

But I'll talk it over with her. Thanks for the advice.

One more thing : To use a current AMD graphics card like RX 560 / RX 570 / RX 580, an upgrade to MacOS High Sierra or Mojave will be necessary.

Oh, I know! Mojave USB is ready already.

Would the RX 580 be a good choice, in your opinion? (560s vanished over here for some reason)

Oh, I know! Mojave USB is ready already.

Would the RX 580 be a good choice, in your opinion? (560s vanished over here for some reason)

Yes, a RX 580 should work well. I have a Sapphire RX 580 Pulse in my system and it works well in High Sierra. It should also work fine in Mojave.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back