Contribute
Register

GPU and Wifi/Bluetooth suggestions/advice

Status
Not open for further replies.
I did notice that screw and thought that _maybe_ it could be removed, but didn't bother checking before installing it in the case... Turns out I might need to remove it, but I'm hoping that's not the case. Getting the board in and out of the case is a nightmare, so I'd rather avoid it if possible. We'll see, I suppose.

I didn't even think about overclocking, honestly. I didn't think about much other than "look at 10th gen build list, find board that is compatible, build from there" :) I probably won't overclock, because the processor (10900k) has more than enough power, but only time will tell.

Anyway, I spent about an hour watching a video and building my EFI folder, configuring my plist file, etc, etc, etc. only to have it crash in my stupid face with some cryptic ACPI error. I ended up using an EFI from this post and things are looking up!!

Attachments

• IMG_0955.jpg
    IMG_0955.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 32
Glad that you were able to make it work!

Got fully installed and booted up and things mostly work!
  • Resolution on a 4k screen is maxed out at 1080p for some reason. I can scale the display, but there's no way that's right. I feel like it should display at 4k natively, but I honestly have no clue.
  • Airdrop doesn't appear to work.
  • I think sleep might be busted because when I sat down at my desk this morning the keyboard and mouse were still illuminated (machine is configured to go to sleep after 15 minutes of inactivity), and the keyboard would actually turn off every ~10 minutes and then turn right back on.
Also, it's on Catalina, which kinda sucks, and I'm hoping that an upgrade to Big Sur won't hose the whole system. What I'm saying is that I've got lots of stuff to keep me busy over Thanksgiving!

For Airdrop I fear you might need to remove the onboard Wireless board, I have seen it can conflict with the added card.
Are you using OpenCore?
If yes, did you do the framebuffer setup already?

That's my fear as well. I am not looking forward to pulling the mobo out.

I am using OpenCore, yes. I Just updated to the most recent version last night, actually. I have not done any framebuffer setup, AFAIK. The only thing I've done related to framebuffers was to remove the `framebuffer-patch-enable` bit from my config.plist because, according to this, it is not needed. I assume it's not needed, anyway. "Headless framebuffers(where the dGPU is the display out) do not need framebuffer-patch-enable and framebuffer-stolenmem..." -- that's my scenario exactly. internal GPU is disabled, dGPU is powering display. Wondering now if I should enable the internal GPU so it can be used for compute stuff, though.

Now I did not do any setup with OpenCore yet, I don't know if framebuffer configuration is needed for discrete graphics but I'm sure you should be able to get 4K.
One question, you are using a DisplayPort cable and not HDMI, right?

Last edited:
OK, another lead maybe then:
Did you follow the OpenCore post install instructions already? There is a whole section about fixing sleep.
It is a pain the first time but then you should be good even with OS updates.

FWIW, I think I can get 4k by choosing a scaled resolution (option clicking the "scaled" option in the display prefs) but I feel like it should be showing higher than 1080p on bootup. In other words, I shouldn't have to adjust the resolution so that only affects my account... The login screen should display at a much higher resolution, too.

On my 27" 5k iMac, I can scale the resolution to full 5k (which is just insane and unusable) but the "best for display" setting is 2560x1440. I'm guessing that this 4k display shouldn't be cranked up to the full 4k, but maybe somewhere a tad lower so things are still legible, and that it shouldn't require me choosing a scaled option from the display prefs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back