Contribute
Register

GPT 8.1 and Mavericks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Right mate I'll try partitioning with OS X UniBeast USB, then install windows first, then go back to OS X and see how it goes. Going to be a long week haha.

Cheers for the help.

Update:

After trying a couple of methods I'm still unsuccessful in dual booting mavericks and windows 8.1 on a pure GPT disk.

Method One:

At first I tried partitioning with OS X installer, then installing windows, then installing OS X
The problem is when OS X partitions the disk it creates the 200MB EFI partition. When windows installer scans the drive it sees the EFI partition as the place it will store its boot loader, and so it does that. After installing OS X the system continued to boot to windows by default. To boot to mavericks I would open the BIOS and select the HDD as the boot device, over riding the default "Windows Boot Manager". So the only way to decide which OS I want to boot is using the BIOS. Which isn't really acceptable.

I had the idea to manually create a 200MB system reserved partition. I used a bootable copy of Acronis Disk Director to create such a partition, and tried to find a way to move the files inside the EFI partition to the new System Reserved partition. Unfortunately I could not mount the EFI partition in mavericks unless it was formatted first, and as far as I am away there is no way to read the partition windows, which means total loss of the windows bootloader. I went ahead and formatted anyway, but ran into a dead end when my windows installation DVD failed at every single way I know how to restore the boot manager.

There was a second method I attempted but I am really tired and I'm having a hard time remembering my exactly steps. But it didn't work anyway.

If someone can find a way to move windows boot manager to a separate partition so that Clover can be installed to the EFI partition and read windows boot manager, I can try that and see if it works.

If there are any other suggestions, such as installing clover to an entirely different partition all together, please let me know and provide me with some basic instruction that I might attempt it.

That is pretty much what happened to me. I was mainly interested in finding a way to install OS X on a Win8 drive already installed UEFI, or, failing that, a way to install both to a drive with GPT+ formatting.

One thing I ran out of time to try that you might do:

Format the drive GUID partition tables, partition for OS X on first partition, format the rest of the drive free space. Install OS X. Mount the EFI partition and format it Mac OS Extended (Journaled) same as for the OS X partition. Win8 installer can't install on it, so hopefully it will create its own EFI/System reserved partitions on the free space portion of the drive.

Post results if you try this.

Sounds like an idea mate, when I try to install clover to the EFI partition, will I have to reformat as FAT32?

Excuse the double post. I've mounted the EFI partition but it doesn't show up in Disk Utility. How can I format it to Extended ?

Update #2

I've installed clover on a USB (without any configuration) and can confirm it boots windows without an issue. However it will not boot mavericks yet because I need to configure it (to which I am totally clueless). But once configured it should boot fine. Will update again.

Update (sorry for triple post):

I have successfully partitioned with mavericks installer, and the windows installation has created its down MBR partition which stores its boot files.
After partitioning and installing OS X, I used Acronis Disk Director bootable CD to format the EFI partition as ext3 so that windows couldn't touch it. After windows installed I reformatted as fat32 and I'm just about to install clover.

Does anyone have any suggestions about how to best proceed with this? Perhaps formatting the EFI partition in a certain manner and installing clover there perhaps? Any information is helpful!

Okay guys I am having real issues with clover and we are just not getting on. I haven't a clue how to configure it after reading countless articles and help topics. If anyone can lay it out so I know what I must do please give me the details.

I've already installed the clover configurator, and when I try to load mavericks from clover I'm just sitting at the apple logo with the loading icon. Help please! So close now.

Okay guys I am having real issues with clover and we are just not getting on. I haven't a clue how to configure it after reading countless articles and help topics. If anyone can lay it out so I know what I must do please give me the details.

I've already installed the clover configurator, and when I try to load mavericks from clover I'm just sitting at the apple logo with the loading icon. Help please! So close now.

So the procedure I outlined worked for installing both Mavericks and Win8 in UEFI mode? Or did you use the guide in the sticky at the top of this forum?

For Clover issues, please start a new thread in http://www.tonymacx86.com/alternate-bootloaders/
remember to post your hardware and config.plist from the Clover EFI folder in your first post.

Yes and no pal. Both installations were successful, however to install windows I formatted the EFI partition to Ext3 with acronis bootable. Windows has then created the MBR partition and installed boot files there.

Yes and no pal. Both installations were successful, however to install windows I formatted the EFI partition to Ext3 with acronis bootable. Windows has then created the MBR partition and installed boot files there.

Are you sure it created a hybrid GPT/MBR partition? This is not what you want to do if you want UEFI boot for Win8. Found a guide over in the laptop forum. See http://www.tonymacx86.com/hp-probook-mavericks/112383-guide-install-mavericks-clover-bootloader.html

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back