Mac
  1. MacBook Air
Classic Mac
  1. Apple
  2. PowerBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
reader.jpg
I did a double take too. This is a Google product that I use all the time! They've put up a Google Reader answer here on how to get your RSS data. http://support.google.com/reader/answer/3028851

reader2.jpg

What is Google Reader?

edited to add - i have numerous Google apps accounts but have never heard of Google Reader - what does it read?

What is Google Reader?

edited to add - i have numerous Google apps accounts but have never heard of Google Reader - what does it read?

RSS feeds- I'd bet it's the largest RSS feed aggregator.

This is horrible! Can't they shut down Google+ instead? :banghead:

"Feedly" could save Google Reader clients with cloned API.

The impending demise of Google Reader has major implications for the app development community; Google's RSS service had become the de facto standard for third-party clients, and users and developers alike will need to find an alternative. Popular news aggregation app Feedly thinks it has a solution, though — it's been working on a project that clones the Google Reader API, and says that users will see a "seamless transition" once Reader shuts down.

It sounds like other clients will have the option of Feedly's solution, too; a statement provided to GigaOm says that since the Feedly-created API is supposed to be identical to Google's, other clients should be able to plug into the service in the same way. However, Feedly notes that there might be a few slight hitches with authentication and feed organization. In any case, it looks like app developers are taking the Reader news in stride — the creators of Press and Reeder, for example, have let users know that they are committed to finding a solution.

This is horrible! Can't they shut down Google+ instead? :banghead:

No, they can't. But they'll try to shut down Facebook if possible!

Considering that i have been using RSS feeds to congest my daily news since RSS was introduced as a feature in Safari (I think about late 2005) I feel just about as sick as the day that i found there was no RSS in Safari in Mountain Lion. Been using Google Reader since as an alternative and now thats going to be gone.. So much for me trusting Google to not pull an Apple and taking this away from me also :rolleyes:.

EDIT: Wow i just looked at the version history and have realized that i have been using Safari since version 1.1. I feel old.

I've already made the switch to NewsBlur - it has a nice, if a little quirky, interface, and works a lot like Google Reader. It imports your news feeds directly from Google. There's even an Android app for it.

www.newsblur.com

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back