Motherboard
Gigabyte Designare Z390
CPU
i7 9700K
Graphics
R9 280X
Mac
  1. iMac
Just updated to 10.8.5. With help from the community, I am up and running. Everything seems great so far except one little thing. Finder seems to crash a couple times a minute and then fire right back up. If I have a finder window open on screen, I will see it disappear and reappear instantaneously. If I am copying files, the copy will be interrupted by this occurrence. I popped open Console and found these to logs printing out each time this happened:

Code:
[FONT=Helvetica]10/6/13 5:36:23.000 PM kernel[0]: com.apple.message.domain: com.apple.kernel.external_modification[/FONT]
[FONT=Helvetica]com.apple.message.signature: [B]Google Drive Ico[/B](xxxxxxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxxxxxxxxxx)[/FONT]
[FONT=Helvetica]com.apple.message.signature2: Finder(xxxxxxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxxxxxxxxxx)[/FONT]
[FONT=Helvetica]com.apple.message.result: noop[/FONT]
[FONT=Helvetica]
[/FONT]
[FONT=Helvetica]10/6/13 5:36:23.779 PM ReportCrash[513]: com.apple.message.domain: com.apple.crashreporter.writereport.crash[/FONT]
[FONT=Helvetica]com.apple.message.signature: Finder[/FONT]
[FONT=Helvetica]com.apple.message.signature2: com.apple.finder ||| [B]10.8.3 (10.8.3)[/B][/FONT]
[FONT=Helvetica]com.apple.message.signature3: <LONG HEX STRING>[/FONT]
[FONT=Helvetica]com.apple.message.result: NO[/FONT]
[FONT=Helvetica]com.apple.message.summarize: YES[/FONT]

I noticed the Google Drive line in there and tried quitting Google Drive. So far I have not reproduced the crash with Google Drive closed. Does anyone have any ideas about the cause of this? The Crash Report does not seem very descriptive, although it seems peculiar that it specifies 10.8.3 even though I'm running 10.8.5.

Thanks! You saved me from figuring all that out by myself. Had the same issue, Finder crashing and restarting after updating to 10.8.5, and once I threw out Google Drive (I can live without that), all is good again.

Thanks! You saved me from figuring all that out by myself. Had the same issue, Finder crashing and restarting after updating to 10.8.5, and once I threw out Google Drive (I can live without that), all is good again.

I was having the same problem this afternoon (just suddenly started) on Mavericks (even though I've been running Mavericks since the release date with no problems). I found this, removed Google Drive from my Login Items, restarted, and all is well.

Just had this issue too, same thing everything running fine till today. Been running 10.9 since launch.

I read that if you disable "show file sync status icons and right click menu" under goggle drive pref stops finder from crashing.
I did that and so far no crashes after 30 min, it was crashing every 90 seconds or so prior to making the change... so far so good.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-11-04 at 11.55.07 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-11-04 at 11.55.07 PM.png
    35.8 KB · Views: 245
Just had this issue too, same thing everything running fine till today. Been running 10.9 since launch.

Google Drive must have updated itself yesterday afternoon with a broken version - that's the only explanation why it suddenly started happening.

I read that if you disable "show file sync status icons and right click menu" under goggle drive pref stops finder from crashing.
I did that and so far no crashes after 30 min, it was crashing every 90 seconds or so prior to making the change... so far so good.

This appears to have worked for me as well. Thanks for the tip!

Thanks! This helped me!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back