Contribute
Register

Good upgrade from AMD RX480 that also works on Blender 4 in Windows?

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z170X UD5
CPU
i7 6700K
Graphics
RX480
Hi,

I have an RX 48that I use on Mac Ventura. I added Windows SSD and installed blender 4, but realize now that Blender requires an AMD of type Vega or RDNA. I guess CUDA is the typically used method of hardware acceleration in Blender. I suppose that means no AMD cards would support that?

Anyway, trying to figure out a logical upgrade to my RX 480 that 1)is stable on a hackintosh smbios 18.3, 2) works well on After Effects in Windows 10 and Ventura, 3) works well in FCP, 4) works well for Blender 4 on Mac, Windows, 5) works well in Unity Engine on Mac, Windows.

thanks

You could upgrade to a Vega 56/64, an RX 5700 XT Navi dGPU, an RX 6600 or better Big Navi dGPU, or any of the other cards listed in this GPU buyers guide. These are all newer than the Polaris series RX 480 you already own, and you should see a big improvement on any GPU related tasks you undertake.

Your Skylake CPU will probably be the biggest limitation to running any of these applications (latest releases) in macOS or Windows. While it will work, it is not that current and on some of these apps is listed as the base entry CPU required to run these apps in macOS or Windows.

Are you sure the RX 480 is the only limiting factor in your workflow?

Back