Status
Not open for further replies.
CPU
I7-3770K
Graphics
GTX 660 Ti
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I have 80 bucks to spend on a psu. I have a core i7 3770k, and a 660ti. I may overclock my CPU in the future, but I found a corsair cx600 on ebay for right under 80. I was wondering if 600 watts is enough? Or if I should try and get a bigger wattage, but from a not so big name like corsair? There was a 700 watt coolmax for the same price also.

I have 80 bucks to spend on a psu. I have a core i7 3770k, and a 660ti. I may overclock my CPU in the future, but I found a corsair cx600 on ebay for right under 80. I was wondering if 600 watts is enough? Or if I should try and get a bigger wattage, but from a not so big name like corsair? There was a 700 watt coolmax for the same price also.

I've used Corsair almost exclusively in all of my builds. They are all Bronze certified or better and super quiet and reliable.
I wouldn't risk damaging my board or CPU with a brand like coolmax or equivalent just because it's stated to be 100W higher
capacity than the Corsair. You need to look at more detailed info on the PSU than just wattage. See the reviews on the
following site to learn about PSU quality. http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story&reid=261

Even something like a Corsair TX550M would way outperform the Coolmax 700W and would be enough for your build.

Just checked, you can get a Corsair TX650m for $89.99 at Amazon free shipping. That's what I would do, a no Brainer :clap:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004LB5AZY/ or the 750M is the same

price if you're impressed by bigger numbers, you'd never even come close to drawing that many watts of power to run your
core I7 system, look at the CPU's TDP and the gfx card wattage to see why.

I would not buy used from ebay. You never know what kind of power spikes migt have run through a used one.

Get new -
Best - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151119
or
Good - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139028

For 80 bucks GB has found a best buy in a Gold rated Seasonic, they also make most of the higher end
Corsair PSUs. Can't go wrong with any of the Seasonic PSUs. Davidgotmilk / DavidgetGOLD :!:

I know a PSU isn't something you'll get really excited about spending 80 dollars on but remember your CustoMac
is only a very expensive paperweight without a functioning power supply. Go for quality and reliability of the
Seasonic and you'll be set for many years of trouble free operation.

For 80 bucks GB has found a best buy in a Gold rated Seasonic, they also make most of the higher end
Corsair PSUs. Can't go wrong with any of the Seasonic PSUs.

No doubt I wasn't gonna get used, they were new from the seller :D so with my
price, I'm wondering why did you choose seasonic 550 watt, over a 600 watt corsair? I know the 80 plus gold is better than bronze, but is 550watts enough to do a good overclock on an i7 later on? I'm not too good when it comes to the PSU.

Also thanks for showing them to me on newegg! They're actually cheaper than eBay.

With my overclocked system it is drawing max 310W in games.
Of course it is better to buy a stronger PSU to make sure it is working below 75% load. Up to 25% most PSUs are silent and will than speed up. Only under high/full load they will become audible.

Seasonic PSUs are great and if you can afford it, go with a Seasonic-X PSU, they will work fanless below 20-25% load.

You would be perfectly fine with a corsair 500watt, and its only like $40. Everybody is recommending a oversized psu for your hardware requirements.

No doubt I wasn't gonna get used, they were new from the seller :D so with my
price, I'm wondering why did you choose seasonic 550 watt, over a 600 watt corsair? I know the 80 plus gold is better than bronze, but is 550watts enough to do a good overclock on an i7 later on? I'm not too good when it comes to the PSU.

Also thanks for showing them to me on newegg! They're actually cheaper than eBay.

I recommended the SeaSonic for several reasons:
1) 550W is more than enough to drive everything you have + 2 or 3 more HDDs and OC to probably over 4Ghz and still have headroom for expansion. Probably wont run a second high end gfx card, but a 600 wouldn't either.
2) It is modular - you only need to connect the cables you actually use - no case cable clutter taking up room and cutting down on air flow.
3) Gold rating is definitely better than Bronze.
4) Not as important as the first 3, but when you can get Gold for less $ than bronze, go for the gold.

Also, make sure your PSU is Haswell (next gen Intel Core i3/i5/i7 processors) compatible. Haswell puts a very low draw on the PSU when in idle which causes a non compatible PSU to shut down because it thinks the system shut down.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back