Contribute
Register

Good (liquid) cooler for overclocking Cascade Lake-X ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
ASUS Prime X299-A II
CPU
i9-10940X
Graphics
Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Hey folks,

I am looking for the right CPU cooler to my upcoming i9-10940X. I've read several times that when overclocking these CPUs, liquid cooling has the edge, however it's crucial to find the right liquid cooler as sometimes (no matter if cheap or expensive) it can happen that the cooler leaks?

Maybe you got some solid recommendations for me :)

Hey folks,

I am looking for the right CPU cooler to my upcoming i9-10940X. I've read several times that when overclocking these CPUs, liquid cooling has the edge, however it's crucial to find the right liquid cooler as sometimes (no matter if cheap or expensive) it can happen that the cooler leaks?

Maybe you got some solid recommendations for me :)

Corsair makes a good one but I think that you could also get Noctua air cooler people on these forums swear by them. @pastrychef been running a 9900k OC 5 Ghz all cores with a Noctua air cooler for sometime.

I use a water cooler mostly because I like the compact look.

Corsair makes a good one but I think that you could also get Noctua air cooler people on these forums swear by them. @pastrychef been running a 9900k OC 5 Ghz all cores with a Noctua air cooler for sometime.

I use a water cooler mostly because I like the compact look.

I've read about the Noctua air coolers being quite popular here.. I already picked this one (Noctua NH-D15S) and then read afterwards, how important a water cooler would be especially for the Lake-X processors..

And thanks for the corsair tip, the Corsair Hydro H150i PRO (and the smaller H115i PRO) both have great reviews and seem to be bestsellers. I guess I should go with the bigger H150i version if I intend constant overclocking.

What water cooler do you use on your system?

I've read about the Noctua air coolers being quite popular here.. I already picked this one (Noctua NH-D15S) and then read afterwards, how important a water cooler would be especially for the Lake-X processors..

And thanks for the corsair tip, the Corsair Hydro H150i PRO (and the smaller H115i PRO) both have great reviews and seem to be bestsellers. I guess I should go with the bigger H150i version if I intend constant overclocking.

What water cooler do you use on your system?

It's old I think it is the H105 and I use it because of ascetics. I pretty sure you can effectively cool the chip you referenced with the NH-D15s as long as you have proper air flow to the case. Like I said I use the AIO for aesthetics not because it can not be cooled with air. Here is a quote from another site:

"Just make sure you have sufficient airflow in the case. The reason most people prefer water over these massive towers is aesthetics."

The NH D15, has almost as much heat sync surfaces as a 240 AIO has radiator.
  • Renowned Noctua quality backed up by 6-year manufacturer’s warranty, deluxe choice for Intel Core i9, i7, i5, i3 (e.g. 10980XE, 10940X, 10920X, 10900X) and AMD Ryzen (e.g. 3950X, 3900X, 3700X, 3600X)

It's old I think it is the H105 and I use it because of ascetics. I pretty sure you can effectively cool the chip you referenced with the NH-D15s as long as you have proper air flow to the case. Like I said I use the AIO for aesthetics not because it can not be cooled with air. Here is a quote from another site:

"Just make sure you have sufficient airflow in the case. The reason most people prefer water over these massive towers is aesthetics."

The NH D15, has almost as much heat sync surfaces as a 240 AIO has radiator.
  • Renowned Noctua quality backed up by 6-year manufacturer’s warranty, deluxe choice for Intel Core i9, i7, i5, i3 (e.g. 10980XE, 10940X, 10920X, 10900X) and AMD Ryzen (e.g. 3950X, 3900X, 3700X, 3600X)

After watching some comparisons on YouTube and reading your post, I've come to the same conclusion that there won't be a big difference between the Noctua or an AIO. However, AIOs tend to be a bit more quiet, which is actually a very important point for me. So I finally came to the conclusion that the Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 would be a great choice. According to those tests, it definitely seems to outperform the AIO market in terms of pricing AND thermal throttling.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back