Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. 128K
  2. iMac
  3. Power Mac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Does anyone know of a good DAC that would go well with my GA-Z77X-UP5TH? I want to power two Realistic Minimums 7W

Does anyone know of a good DAC that would go well with my GA-Z77X-UP5TH? I want to power two Realistic Minimums 7W

A DAC will only convert a digital signal into an analogue signal, it would need to provide some amplification to the analogue signal in order to power the speakers - its not clear if you are using an existing amplifier.

This thread lists a few DACs, but these are designed to then let you connect to a stereo amplifier.
http://www.tonymacx86.com/audio/98115-simple-plug-n-play-usb-audio-device-os-x.html

Adrian B

My apologies, I forgot to mention that I also need an integrated amp for said DAC as well. I looked at the thread but didn't see anything that satisfied what I needed. I just purchased a NuForce Icon 2 and will write a review of it once I get to test it.

My apologies, I forgot to mention that I also need an integrated amp for said DAC as well. I looked at the thread but didn't see anything that satisfied what I needed. I just purchased a NuForce Icon 2 and will write a review of it once I get to test it.

I had one of the Nuforce HDPs for a while - it was really good, but I just wasn't using it - I listen to vinyl mainly, a friend bought the HDP from me and he loves it. I replaced it with a much less expensive uDAC which suits my very occasional use better.

The other company that I would recommend having a look at is Graham Slee Projects - they have a loan program where you can try things out. All the stuff is hand built in England. Loaner scheme works in Europe, US and Australia. I have used some of their headphone amps and phono stages. They make good cables too - although I am using a different brand.

http://www.gspaudio.co.uk

Adrian B

Thanks for the recommendation Adrian B! After using my Icon-2 connected to a pair of Stax SR-5s, I have to say that it's truly a dream. I have no connection problems, it worked right out of the box. Playback through either Vox or Swinsian has proven to provide no difficulty whatsoever.

Thanks for the recommendation Adrian B! After using my Icon-2 connected to a pair of Stax SR-5s, I have to say that it's truly a dream. I have no connection problems, it worked right out of the box. Playback through either Vox or Swinsian has proven to provide no difficulty whatsoever.

Nice to hear that you are enjoying your music. The Stax SR-5s are hard to drive however, not sure if that will work longer term for you. You might want to see if there is an upgraded PSU available for the icon 2 at the very least.
Electrostatics can sound fabulous and very magical, they also split opinion - but fans won't use anything else.

Adrian B

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back