Contribute
Register

RIP Gobias’s Haswell Build: GA-Z87X-UD5H - i7-4770K - RX 580 - macOS Big Sur & Windows 10

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nice build Gobias! One question is sleep working OK on it? If so did you do anything special? I have a similar build but can't get sleep work consistently. It works if I make computer go to sleep from main menu but it doesn't fall asleep after time period set in Energy Saver.
Also occasionally it wouldn't wake up after longer sleep (overnight, for example) or more precisely graphic card wouldn't wake up (computer seems to wake up but monitor stays in power saving mode).
Please, let me know.

I have not done anything special to make sleep work, and it works from the Apple menu and with Energy Saver. If using the menu, it takes about 30–40 seconds to actually go to sleep, but it always wakes instantly without issue, regardless of how long it has been asleep.

Have you searched for sleep issues with your specific parts?

Gobias

Thank you for your build that helped me on my decision to order everything last night. I ordered two of the SSD so I can place them in RAID 0 using a Highpoint Rocket 640L card. Also I upped the memory to 2400mhz instead of the normal 1600mhz. I currently use the 1600 but wanted to try something faster because I use Pro Tools 11 and faster memory is just as important for latency than processing speed.

I really like your Apple logo on your case. Can you give details how you did that?

Nevermind about the logo. I just read where you said it was vinyl which is a good idea and I never thought about that.

BTW for people's information most of these motherboards are only dual channel. You better off to only get 2 sticks of memory instead of 4 because if the motherboard is only a dual channel the CPU can only access 2 banks at a time. So using 2 sicks of memory will in fact give you a better latency. JFYI...

You're very welcome. I may be wrong, but I thought I read somewhere on this site that hardware RAID wasn't supported in OS X.

I wasn't aware of that issue with the memory. I guess that means I can't upgrade to 32 GB unless I don't mind an increase in latency.

Well if you use this card it will work perfectly:

HighPoint Rocket 640L Lite Version
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007EM7N70/

I could have used the Corsair H110 radiator in the case but I would have had to do some drilling because I didn't realize how large the radiator was and what the case specs were. I thought I read it right but my eyes have been tricking me lately.

Anyway the only issue I had with the Raid was formatting it in OSX during the install. I couldn't figure it out but realized one of my power cables on one of the SSDs wasn't plugged in all the way.

Also I ordered 2x4gb of the 2400mhz of memory and let me tell you this thing could work as a rocket for NASA because its that fast. The case is perfect and quiet. I just can't believe how heavy this joker is...

No problems whatsoever on install and I didn't have to use any prompts whatsoever. Everything works out of the box...Again I love this build and it was your build that triggered me to do this one. This is probably my fifth OSX build so I am use to the fuss the install may get but this one was perfect. Again Thanks. BTW he 2400mhz memory is expensive around $200 but they are worth it and I am going to purchase two more sticks next month. I am retired now and have a lot of $$$ in the bank so I get to play out with these toys like this. Not a gamer but a music man and I work with Pro Tools 11. I love OSX and I was about to purchase the new Mac Pro but I just couldn't spend $4k on something I could build better.

BTW here is my Geekbench 3 score:

:eek:16284:eek:

not bad if you ask me...Now if I was able to have a dual cpu then that would be tops....

BTW here is my Geekbench 3 score:

:eek:16284:eek:

not bad if you ask me...Now if I was able to have a dual cpu then that would be tops....

Dont expect that any time soon.

OTOH, CPU's with many more cores, now that will be possible in the not too distant future I reckon...

;)

hey bro how did you get it to boot independently

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back