Contribute
Register

Gobias’s Comet Lake Build: Prime Z490-A - i7-10700K - RX 6600 - macOS Ventura & Windows 11 Pro

Update 19: OpenCore 0.8.7 and macOS 12.6.2

OpenCore 0.8.7

I followed the OpenCore Post-Install guide for Updating OpenCore to update OpenCore from 0.8.5 to 0.8.7.
  1. I updated these kexts to the latest versions:
    • AppleALC.kext: 1.7.5 -> 1.7.7
    • WhateverGreen: 1.6.1 -> 1.6.2
  2. I added new properties to config.plist that were identified in OCConfigCompare.
    • Under Misc -> Boot, add
      • HibernateSkipsPicker
    • Under UEFI -> AppleInput, add
      • PointerDwellClickTimeout
      • PointerDwellDoubleClickTimeout
      • PointerDwellRadius
  3. I downloaded the latest versions of these OpenCore files and signed them for UEFI Secure Boot:
    • BOOT/BOOTx64.efi
    • OC/Drivers/AudioDxe.efi
    • OC/Drivers/CrScreenshotDxe.efi
    • OC/Drivers/OpenCanopy.efi
    • OC/Drivers/OpenRuntime.efi
    • OC/Drivers/ResetNvramEntry.efi
    • OC/Tools/OpenShell.efi
  4. I downloaded the latest version of OpenCore.efi.
  5. I vaulted OpenCore using sign.command.
  6. I Signed OpenCore.efi for UEFI Secure Boot.

My latest EFI folder is attached for reference. The files in this folder are not vaulted or signed for UEFI Secure Boot.
Screenshot of the OpenCore GUI showing that OpenCore has been updated to 0.8.7

macOS 12.6.2

I aIso updated macOS from 12.6.1 to 12.6.2 using System Preferences without any issues.
Screenshot of About This Mac showing that macOS has been updated to 12.6.2

Attachments

• Update 19 OC 0.8.7.zip
    5.5 MB · Views: 88
Last edited:
A quick note about Windows 11 and UEFI Secure Boot: For a while, I had been under the impression that UEFI Secure Boot needed to be enabled to upgrade to Windows 11 because many articles stated this. However, this is incorrect. TPM 2.0 does need to be enabled (see Update 15 for instructions on how to enable TPM 2.0 on the Asus Prime Z490-A), but your motherboard only needs to support UEFI Secure Boot. It doesn't need to be enabled.
This is an untrue statement. And TPM, as well, is not necessary although it can be turned on after the initial installation and upgrade to Monterey and Ventura. TPM does not affect the proper working of the Mac OS. Further, You can upgrade to 22H2 even if the OS screams WITH MESSAGES STATING THE upgrade cannot complete, as well.
I have done this myself multiple times.
My suggestion to all: is to always start with Windows first and install it. No other drives. (if the machine is to be Mac only, make sure no other drive is installed during Windows installation.) Make a USB port mapping scheme in Windows using USB Toolbox. All your ports will show correctly and multiple controllers, as well, which does not always show up in Hackintool. Note any controller that has less than 15 ports is not to worry about, as it is only USB controllers that have more than 15 ports. (assuming the controller is recognized by the OS) You can create a USB Port kext with the Toolbox but I found it is better to use Hackintool with the gathered info. Most all boards have a controller with 26 or more ports. (There are usually 17 ports that are slow ports *the 1st 17* and 18 through 26 are SSxx ports. 26 or more port controllers must be mapped and decreased. The Inject command in Hackintool will usually show all 26 ports even if they are initially not working after the installation of Mac OS either Big Sur or Monterey. Do not start out with Ventura unless you have a working USB port kext.
Your Ethernet chipset is abnormal and is a problem to get working properly in Ventura. The Intel 1225 V is not natively supported by the Mac OS and this abnormal chipset was used by Asus for all of their Z490 boards except the Tuf Gaming 490 plus, and plus Wifi, Prime Z490P, and Prime Z490 M plus. The 1219V for the two primes and the Z490 M plus. A Realtek 8111 H for the Z490P. Two of the Maximus boards have a 2nd 10GB Marvel ethernet that should be compatible.

Your Ethernet chipset is abnormal and is a problem to get working properly in Ventura. The Intel 1225 V is not natively supported by the Mac OS and this abnormal chipset
AppleVTD and Ventura 13.1 have not any issue with Ethernet at the moment. It works out of the box. I have not any 2.5 connection, but it seems to work @1gigabit only. There are a loro of pci-e compatible ETH card, just in case

AppleVTD and Ventura 13.1 have not any issue with Ethernet at the moment. It works out of the box. I have not any 2.5 connection, but it seems to work @1gigabit only. There are a loro of pci-e compatible ETH card, just in case
You can get it working but not otb. I have done this, but the facet is, there is no otb kext with this model in Monterey or Ventura, so it requires work, spoofing and research to make it work, as a 2.5 chip-set. I have also played with 2.5GB usb while running this down on a Z490I rog strix for a friend. He is running Ventura with 2.5 onboard happily.

This is an untrue statement. And TPM, as well, is not necessary although it can be turned on after the initial installation and upgrade to Monterey and Ventura. TPM does not affect the proper working of the Mac OS. Further, You can upgrade to 22H2 even if the OS screams WITH MESSAGES STATING THE upgrade cannot complete, as well.
I have done this myself multiple times.
Which part is untrue, that TPM is required for upgrading to Windows 11? I said that because that's what Microsoft says. I didn't try upgrading without enabling TPM, so I didn't realize you could do that.
My suggestion to all: is to always start with Windows first and install it. No other drives. (if the machine is to be Mac only, make sure no other drive is installed during Windows installation.) Make a USB port mapping scheme in Windows using USB Toolbox. All your ports will show correctly and multiple controllers, as well, which does not always show up in Hackintool. Note any controller that has less than 15 ports is not to worry about, as it is only USB controllers that have more than 15 ports. (assuming the controller is recognized by the OS) You can create a USB Port kext with the Toolbox but I found it is better to use Hackintool with the gathered info. Most all boards have a controller with 26 or more ports. (There are usually 17 ports that are slow ports *the 1st 17* and 18 through 26 are SSxx ports. 26 or more port controllers must be mapped and decreased. The Inject command in Hackintool will usually show all 26 ports even if they are initially not working after the installation of Mac OS either Big Sur or Monterey. Do not start out with Ventura unless you have a working USB port kext.
I agree that for someone creating a new Ventura installation, mapping USB ports in Windows would probably be easier than mapping them in Catalina as I did and then upgrading to Ventura.

Your Ethernet chipset is abnormal and is a problem to get working properly in Ventura. The Intel 1225 V is not natively supported by the Mac OS and this abnormal chipset was used by Asus
You can get it working but not otb. I have done this, but the facet is, there is no otb kext with this model in Monterey or Ventura, so it requires work, spoofing and research to make it work, as a 2.5 chip-set. I have also played with 2.5GB usb while running this down on a Z490I rog strix for a friend. He is running Ventura with 2.5 onboard happily.
My understanding is that if your I225-V is revision 3, then it's natively supported in Monterey and Ventura if AppleVTD is enabled. However, I think most people (like me) have revision 2, and in those cases, you either have to update the firmware to revision 3 or spoof the chipset. I've seen a lot of differing instructions on how to configure these different options (some of them quite lengthy), so I'd agree it's not exactly otb. I haven't personally had time to upgrade to Ventura or test out any of these instructions.

Which part is untrue, that TPM is required for upgrading to Windows 11? I said that because that's what Microsoft says. I didn't try upgrading without enabling TPM, so I didn't realize you could do that.
TPM and Secureboot is not necessary to upgrade to Windows 11 with a helper application. You can also do this with Rufus but not an upgrade through windows only a clean install. SB is completely necessary without modifying the install ISO. It would be best to turn off both for installing the Mac OS using OpenCore but if the Mac OS is removed you can turn on one or both for install of Win 11 and turn SB off for Mac OS replacement for dual boot. Undere most conditions you will not see 22H2 show as a Windows update option if SB and TPM are turned off. You will be stuck at 22H1 unless you do a clean install or use the helper app to counteract the MS restrictions.

Hi @Gobias ,

Good guide !

I've been having a lot of problems with the RX 6600 on my builds. I get black screens on boot especially on a cold boot. (I have agdpmod=pikera on config.plist.)

Did you experience any of that?

Hi @Gobias ,

Good guide !

I've been having a lot of problems with the RX 6600 on my builds. I get black screens on boot especially on a cold boot. (I have agdpmod=pikera on config.plist.)

Did you experience any of that?
I haven't had any issues with my RX 6600 card. The agdpmod=pikera boot argument is supposed to prevent black screens for most Navi GPUs. Have you tried removing the boot argument?

If you share your EFI folder, I can take a look at it and try to find any issues.

I haven't had any issues with my RX 6600 card. The agdpmod=pikera boot argument is supposed to prevent black screens for most Navi GPUs. Have you tried removing the boot argument?

If you share your EFI folder, I can take a look at it and try to find any issues.
Yes ofc ! I attach my EFI, i tried on a different builds, with different motherboard and graphic cards.That one is my last build. It always happens only with RX 6600 and RX 6600 XT. The thing is that it didn't happen all the time, it could be 5 out of 10 times it goes black like if the agdpmod=pikera did not work

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    6.3 MB · Views: 42
Yes ofc ! I attach my EFI, i tried on a different builds, with different motherboard and graphic cards.That one is my last build. It always happens only with RX 6600 and RX 6600 XT. The thing is that it didn't happen all the time, it could be 5 out of 10 times it goes black like if the agdpmod=pikera did not work
What version of OpenCore are you using?

Back