Contribute
Register

Gobias’s Comet Lake Build: Prime Z490-A - i7-10700K - RX 6600 - macOS Ventura & Windows 11 Pro

I just upgraded to 10gen my current setup (OC-0.95). Change Opencore to the one provided and remove boot args and setup iMac 20,2, move the NVME to the new setup and everything worked without errors.
BIOS was at 804, early bios. So today I upgraded to the latest 2701 bios. Reboot, put setting back and computer started to reboot itself, even not logging in. Remove any "fake OC" and whatever, and again not stable and reboots.

Can't rollback to 804.
CPU is i9 10900 -non K- and memory Crucial 2x32gb 3200 MT/s with XMP 22-22-22-52.

I'll be doing some test, on what would make OSX reboot and crash in OS.

My guess is something going on with XMP + Asus OC crap

TEST: On linux seems to be fine, temps are fine, stress test are fine.

When I managed to boot into Ventura some times crashes and goes to login, and then reboots, also if I manage to run a cinebench stress, it reboots in less than a minute.
Now the computer boots to login screen, if you log in, shows the system was not properly shutdown and reboots itself.

All of this happened after bios update. Was running fine and doing bench.

EDIT: I've got the same installation with ventura 13.4 that I cloned to upgrade the storage, and it boot fine with the previous settings. Something went really bad on that install

Last edited:
Update 23: OpenCore 0.9.5 and macOS 13.6
What BIOS are you using ?
Did you plan to use Resizable BAR setting, with this setting the boot hangs.
Thank you for great instruction and also keep provide the update. I had the same Motherboard as you do, I believe mine is working fine with the keyboard/mouse wake up the system.
I tried with the Gobias, and also had to press power button to wake from sleep.

Right now with 2701 can't boot the install.

Thank you, Gobias for the extensive, detailed guide and tips. As a first time Hack builder, this is giving me the confidence that I can do it. In fact, I'm looking forward to it. Thanks also to the others in this thread who have offered their experiences with it. Hopefully, I will get to the point where I can add something useful from mine.

Regards,
Andy

What BIOS are you using ?
Did you plan to use Resizable BAR setting, with this setting the boot hangs.

I tried with the Gobias, and also had to press power button to wake from sleep.

Right now with 2701 can't boot the install.
I'm using BIOS 2601 and haven't enabled the Resizable BAR setting.

I originally had BIOS 2301 when I first made this build and upgraded to 2601 at some point to try to fix an issue I was having at the time. It didn't fix the issue, but it did reset ALL of my BIOS settings (including the XMP profile). I had to manually set everything again, which was really annoying and why I haven't upgraded to 2701.

I don't think I had any issues with not being able to boot, though. The one recommendation I can give you is to check all of your BIOS settings to make sure they're right.

I'm using BIOS 2601 and haven't enabled the Resizable BAR setting.

I originally had BIOS 2301 when I first made this build and upgraded to 2601 at some point to try to fix an issue I was having at the time. It didn't fix the issue, but it did reset ALL of my BIOS settings (including the XMP profile). I had to manually set everything again, which was really annoying and why I haven't upgraded to 2701.

I don't think I had any issues with not being able to boot, though. The one recommendation I can give you is to check all of your BIOS settings to make sure they're right.
In my case two things happened on my build, that started the system to crash (APFS got corrupted ) (kind of).
And with your configuration in 2701, with the same settings (even added VT-D)
This config: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...-rx-6600-macos-ventura-windows-11-pro.319423/
Updated kext and smbios iMac 20,2.
The system works perfectly without issues even on sonoma. With your config on 805 great, on 2701 the computer kept restarting (even sonoma). Something CPU wise was killing it.

Right now with i9 10900 I've got 920 points on CB2024 stable. Need to fix Sleep. goes to sleep and then turn on again.

In my case two things happened on my build, that started the system to crash (APFS got corrupted ) (kind of).
And with your configuration in 2701, with the same settings (even added VT-D)
This config: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...-rx-6600-macos-ventura-windows-11-pro.319423/
Updated kext and smbios iMac 20,2.
The system works perfectly without issues even on sonoma. With your config on 805 great, on 2701 the computer kept restarting (even sonoma). Something CPU wise was killing it.

Right now with i9 10900 I've got 920 points on CB2024 stable. Need to fix Sleep. goes to sleep and then turn on again.
I just ran Cinebench just to do some testing. You should be getting better than 920 IMHO.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-10-30 at 9.44.53 PM.png
    Screenshot 2023-10-30 at 9.44.53 PM.png
    127.1 KB · Views: 23

Update 24: OpenCore 0.9.7 and macOS 13.6.3

OpenCore 0.9.7

I followed the OpenCore Post-Install guide for Updating OpenCore to update OpenCore from 0.9.5 to 0.9.7.
  1. I updated these kexts to the latest versions:
    • AppleALC.kext: 1.8.5 -> 1.8.7
  2. I added these new properties for OpenCore 0.9.6 to config.plist (there are no new properties for OpenCore 0.9.7) that were identified with OCConfigCompare:
    • Under Booter -> Quirks, add
      • FixupAppleEfiImages | Boolean | False
  3. I downloaded the latest versions of these OpenCore files and signed them for UEFI Secure Boot:
    • BOOT/BOOTx64.efi
    • OC/Drivers/AudioDxe.efi
    • OC/Drivers/CrScreenshotDxe.efi
    • OC/Drivers/OpenCanopy.efi
    • OC/Drivers/OpenRuntime.efi
    • OC/Drivers/ResetNvramEntry.efi
    • OC/Tools/OpenShell.efi
  4. I downloaded the latest version of OpenCore.efi.
  5. I vaulted OpenCore using sign.command.
  6. I Signed OpenCore.efi for UEFI Secure Boot.
My latest EFI folder is attached for reference. The files in this folder are not vaulted or signed for UEFI Secure Boot.

macOS 13.6.1–13.6.3

I also updated macOS from 13.6 to 13.6.1 and then to 13.6.3 using System Preferences.

Screenshot of About This Mac showing that macOS has been updated to 13.6.3

Attachments

• Update 24 OC 0.9.7.zip
    5.7 MB · Views: 48
Last edited:
@Gobias I was just looking at yuor EFI. I am not very good at all this, but I am using the z490-a, and I noticed a lot of different .aml files. I recently update from Monterey which was very stable to ventura, and I had a little trouble getting the Ethernet working but now OK. It seems a little glitchy and sometimes from sleep sticks at a black screen. Should I change my ACPI folder to match yours? I have attached my EFI.

Ventura 13.6.4

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    6 MB · Views: 11
@Gobias I was just looking at yuor EFI. I am not very good at all this, but I am using the z490-a, and I noticed a lot of different .aml files. I recently update from Monterey which was very stable to ventura, and I had a little trouble getting the Ethernet working but now OK. It seems a little glitchy and sometimes from sleep sticks at a black screen. Should I change my ACPI folder to match yours? I have attached my EFI.

Ventura 13.6.4

I don't think I've had that black-screen sleep issue before. However, SSDT-GPRW.aml helped me fix an instant wake issue (see the Fixing Instant Wake Issue section of my guide to see how I configured the patch). I'm not sure if that would fix your issue or not, but you could give it a try.

The other four .aml files are the recommended SSDTs for Comet Lake desktops from the Open Core Install Guide.

I've never used SSDT-PM.aml or SSDT-SBUS-MCHC.aml, which are in your ACPI folder but not mine, so I can't comment on either one.

I also can't say if changing your ACPI folder to match mine would fix your issue.

You could also check the Fixing Sleep section of the Open Core Post-Install Guide if you haven't already.

Reactions: dsk
Incredible work on this. Have you upgraded to MacOS 14 Sonoma yet? I'm currently using it with no issues aside from a graphics card problem, which is potentially related to a PSU issue.

Back