Contribute
Register

Gobias’s Comet Lake Build: Prime Z490-A - i7-10700K - RX 6600 - macOS Ventura & Windows 11 Pro

I haven't had any video output issues with DisplayPort. I haven't tried HDMI.
Thanks for your kind reply. There is a little switch on my gigabyte card OC<->NORMAL.
It was set on OC from Big Sur without any issue even with Monterey. Switched to NORMAL did the trick with Ventura.
As for Gigabyte website, the difference should be related to a more aggressive fan RPM only and should not be related to GPU/memory speed.

I know that Ventura (OSX in general) is not happy with overclocked or custom GPU UEFI BIOS.
Anyway, I use modded GPU BIOS in the past with OSX without any issue from years . . .
. . . mysterious mystery . . . .

Cheers!

Which problems are reported using Windows?
It was Ethernet port problems. Seems like not only Asus related, but more Intel related. You read at Amazon and Newegg about the problems. Some were solved by Windows Asus driver updates, but some not.

It was Ethernet port problems. Seems like not only Asus related, but more Intel related. You read at Amazon and Newegg about the problems. Some were solved by Windows Asus driver updates, but some not.
It was a driver issue (from Windows update). You have to install the driver in boundled with the mainboard. Solved two years ago anyway. You can update via Windows service now, no problem (2.0 Ethernet version, do not know about 3.0 Also, I never seen a z490-a with 3.0 out of the box).
Please, let me know about your issue under winDOS if any.
Cheers

It was a driver issue (from Windows update). You have to install the driver in boundled with the mainboard. Solved two years ago anyway. You can update via Windows service now, no problem (2.0 Ethernet version, do not know about 3.0 Also, I never seen a z490-a with 3.0 out of the box).
Please, let me know about your issue under winDOS if any.
Cheers
I see. I use it only with wireless, so had not any problems with Ethernet as I don't use it.

Update 20: OpenCore 0.9.1 and macOS Ventura

This is a belated post, so it contains several updates I’ve made over the last couple of months.

OpenCore 0.9.1

I followed the OpenCore Post-Install guide for Updating OpenCore to update OpenCore first, from 0.8.7 to 0.8.8, then to 0.9.0, and then to 0.9.1.
  1. I updated these kexts to the latest versions:
    • AppleALC.kext: 1.7.7 -> 1.8.1
    • Lilu.kext: 1.6.2 -> 1.6.4
    • RadeonSensor: 0.3.1 -> 0.3.3
    • SMCRadeonGPU: 0.3.1 -> 0.3.3
    • SMCProcessor: 1.3.0 -> 1.3.1
    • SMCSuperIO: 1.3.0 -> 1.3.1
    • VirtualSMC: 1.3.0 -> 1.3.1
    • WhateverGreen: 1.6.2 -> 1.6.4
  2. I added this new property to config.plist that was identified with OCConfigCompare:
    • Under UEFI -> Output, add
      • GopBurstMode | Boolean | False
    • Under UEFI -> Quirks, add
      • ResizeUsePciRbIo | Boolean | False
  3. I copied the .contentVisibility file from the OpenCore release folder to the BOOT folder.
  4. I downloaded the latest versions of these OpenCore files and signed them for UEFI Secure Boot:
    • BOOT/BOOTx64.efi
    • OC/Drivers/AudioDxe.efi
    • OC/Drivers/CrScreenshotDxe.efi
    • OC/Drivers/OpenCanopy.efi
    • OC/Drivers/OpenRuntime.efi
    • OC/Drivers/ResetNvramEntry.efi
    • OC/Tools/OpenShell.efi
  5. I downloaded the latest version of OpenCore.efi.
  6. I vaulted OpenCore using sign.command.
  7. I Signed OpenCore.efi for UEFI Secure Boot.
    Screenshot of the OpenCore GUI showing that OpenCore has been updated to 0.9.1

GPU Sensors Fixed

Version 0.3.3 of RadeonSensor and SMCRadeonGPU appears to have fixed the GPU sensors that initially weren't working for my RX 6600.
GPU Sensors.png

macOS Ventura

I also updated macOS from 12.6.2 to 13.2 Ventura, then to 13.3, and then to 13.3.1 using System Preferences.

Screenshot of About This Mac showing that macOS has been updated to 13.3.1

Fixing I225-V Ethernet

The Intel I225-V port is natively supported in Ventura (and Monterey) if its revision ID is 3 but not without some changes to your configuration, so ethernet wasn’t working after initially updating.

”Damaged” Apps

Also, when I tried to open some apps from the App Store, I would get an error about the apps being damaged. This error went away for most updates after fixing ethernet. A couple of apps still gave me that error, so I downloaded those apps directly from the developers as a workaround.
App damaged.png

Check Your Revision ID

Before updating to Ventura, check the revision ID for your I225-V port (Ethernet will be missing from System Information after updating to Ventura).
  1. Open System Information.
  2. Go to Hardware > Ethernet.
  3. Check the Revision IDfield.
    1. If the value is 0x0002, the revision ID is 2.
    2. If the value is 0x0003, the revision ID is 3.
System Info - I225-V Rev 2.png

In the screenshot above, you can see my revision ID was 2.

To fix my ethernet, I followed an external guide (search for “Gigabyte Z490 Vision G Intel I225-V Fix for macOS Monterey and newer” or follow the steps I listed below), which describes two options for fixing I225-V ethernet in Ventura:
  • Option 1: Using an SSDT with a Corrected Header Description
    • Use this option if your revision ID is 2 and either don’t want to or are unable to flash custom firmware to your motherboard to update the revision ID to 3.
  • Option 2: Enabling AppleVTD for Native Ethernet
    • Use this option if your revision ID is 3 or you want to flash custom firmware to your motherboard to update the revision ID to 3.
    • Note: I've seen a couple of people report that they were able to get native ethernet working with revision ID 2 without flashing the custom firmware. They just enabled AppleVTD, and it worked. I didn't test this myself, but it may be worth trying before going through the hassle of flashing the firmware.

I tried both options, and both worked for me. I’ve included two EFI folders in the attached ZIP file: one for Option 1 and one for Option 2. Each EFI folder contains all the required files for each option. Since testing each option, I’ve stayed with Option 2, so that’s what future EFI folders I share will contain.

These are the steps I followed for each option:

Option 1: Using an SSDT with a Corrected Header Description

1. Add SSDT-I225V.aml to the EFI/OC/ACPI folder.
  2. Copy AppleIntel210Ethernet.kext from Big Sur or Monterey (or a backup of one of those OSes). It's located under /System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/
  3. Add it to the EFI/OC/Kexts folder.
  4. Open config.plist in ProperTree.
    1. Choose File > OC Snapshot to add SSDT-I225V.aml and AppleIntel210Ethernet.kext to the config under ACPI -> Add and Kernel -> Add respectively.
    2. Under Kernel -> Add, set MinKernel for AppleIntelI210Ethernet.kext to 22.0.0 so the AppleIntel210Ethernet.kext is only injected into macOS Ventura.
      AppleIntel210Ethernet MinKernel.png
    3. Under DeviceProperties, remove PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x1C,0x1)/Pci(0x0,0x0).
    4. Under NVRAM -> Add -> 7C436110-AB2A-4BBB-A880-FE41995C9F82
      1. In boot-args, add e1000=0 if you don’t already have it.
    5. Save the config.
  5. Reboot.
  6. Ethernet should now appear in System Information as it did before Ventura.
    System Info - I225-V Opt 1.png

Option 2: Enabling AppleVTD for Native Ethernet

Note: I've seen a couple of people report that they were able to get native ethernet working with revision ID 2 without flashing the custom firmware. They just enabled AppleVTD, and it worked. I didn't test this myself, but it may be worth trying before going through the hassle of flashing the firmware.
  1. Flashing a Custom Firmware to Revision 3 (only if you have revision 2)
    1. Prepare the USB Flash Drive
      1. Download I225-Vmod.zip and extract it.
      2. Copy eeupdate64.efi and I225MOD to the root folder of a FAT32 formatted USB Flash Drive.
    2. Temporarily disable UEFI Secure Boot (if enabled)
      1. Replace OpenShell.efi with the unsigned copy from the OpenCore release folder. (My signed copy of OpenShell wouldn’t let me run the firmware update tool).
      2. Reboot.
      3. Disable UEFI Secure Boot in BIOS (I couldn’t run an unsigned copy of OpenShell with UEFI Secure Boot enabled).
    3. Flash the Firmware with OpenShell
      1. At the OpenCore boot picker, press Space to show tools.
      2. Choose OpenShell.efi and press Enter.
      3. Type fs0: and press Enter to change the working drive (fs:0 is most likely your USB flash drive)
      4. Type ls to list the content of the drive.
      5. Next, type eeupdate64e /gui and hit Enter to run the tool.
      6. Choose the Intel(R) Ethernet Controller I225-V with the arrow keys and press Enter.
      7. In the next screen, choose Raw EEPROM - Extended and press Enter.
      8. Next, press F3to dump the original firmware onto your flash drive.
        1. Enter a name for the backup file, choose OK, and press Enter. There won't be any confirmation dialog.
      9. Next, press F4to load the custom firmware file:
        1. Now type I225MOD, choose OK, and press Enter.
        2. When asked if you want to keep the original MAC Address when flashing the firmware, choose YES and press Enter.
      10. Press ESCto exit.
        1. When asked if you want to save changes, choose YES and press Enter.
        2. Press ESC again.
        3. Choose Exit and press Enter.
      11. In OpenShell, type exit and press Enter.
      12. Reboot the computer into macOS.
    4. Re-enable UEFI Secure Boot (if previously enabled)
      1. Replace OpenShell.efi with the previously signed copy.
      2. Reboot.
      3. Re-enable UEFI Secure Boot in BIOS.
      4. Reboot.
  2. Enabling AppleVTD
    1. Enable VT-d in BIOS
      1. Reboot the computer.
      2. Press Delete or F2 to enter BIOS.
      3. Go to the Advanced\System Agent (SA) Configuration menu.
      4. Set VT-d to Enabled.
      5. Go to the Exit menu.
      6. Choose Save Changes & Reset and press Enter.
      7. Save and reboot into macOS.
    2. macOS
      1. Open System Settings.
      2. Go to Network > Ethernet and then click the Details… button.
      3. Set TCP/IP > Configure IPv4 to DHCP and Hardware > Configure to Automatically.
    3. OpenCore and config.plist
      1. Under DeviceProperties, remove PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x1C,0x1)/Pci(0x0,0x0).
      2. Under NVRAM -> Add -> 7C436110-AB2A-4BBB-A880-FE41995C9F82
        1. In boot-args, remove e1000=0 or dk.e1000=0.
      3. Under Kernel -> Quirks, set DisableIOMapper to False.
      4. Save your config.plist.
      5. Reboot.
    4. Ethernet should now appear in System Information using the com.apple.DriverKit-AppleEthernetE1000.kext. (Note that while my Revision ID is still 2 in System Information, ethernet does work)
      System Info - I225-V Opt 2.png

If everything was done correctly, you should now have working Internet connectivity. You may need to remove and add the network adapter again under System Settings > Network.

Other Config Changes

Lowering Boot Chime Volume

I thought the boot chime was too loud with my new speakers, so I lowered the volume:
  • Under UEFI -> Audio
    • Set MaximumGain to -42
    • Set MinimumAssistGain to -42

Attachments

• Update 20 OC 0.9.1 & Ventura.zip
    12.3 MB · Views: 95
Last edited:
Hi Gobias,

Thank you for detailed info !!!
My Ethernet Revision ID was 0x002, but somehow it works in Ventura natively with Vt-d enabled in BIOS and did not require flushing to Revision 3. Maybe this problem is connected with mobo BIOS version used. I use latest BIOS 2701.

Hi Gobias,

Thank you for detailed info !!!
My Ethernet Revision ID was 0x002, but somehow it works in Ventura natively with Vt-d enabled in BIOS and did not require flushing to Revision 3. Maybe this problem is connected with mobo BIOS version used. I use latest BIOS 2701.
I actually saw someone else post a while back that they didn't need to flash the Ethernet controller, either, and I meant to test it myself but forgot. I think I have BIOS version 2601, which was the newest version when I first updated to Ventura a couple of months ago. I'm not sure if the version makes a difference or not.

Update 21: OpenCore 0.9.2 and macOS 13.3.1 (a)

OpenCore 0.9.2

I followed the OpenCore Post-Install guide for Updating OpenCore to update OpenCore from 0.9.1 to 0.9.2.
  1. I updated these kexts to the latest versions:
    • AppleALC.kext: 1.8.1 -> 1.8.2
    • Lilu.kext: 1.6.4 -> 1.6.5
  2. I added these new properties to config.plist that were identified with OCConfigCompare:
    • Under Kernel -> Quirks, add
      • DisableIoMapperMapping | Boolean | False
    • Under UEFI -> Outputs, add
      • InitialMode | String | Auto
  3. I downloaded the latest versions of these OpenCore files and signed them for UEFI Secure Boot:
    • BOOT/BOOTx64.efi
    • OC/Drivers/AudioDxe.efi
    • OC/Drivers/CrScreenshotDxe.efi
    • OC/Drivers/OpenCanopy.efi
    • OC/Drivers/OpenRuntime.efi
    • OC/Drivers/ResetNvramEntry.efi
    • OC/Tools/OpenShell.efi
  4. I downloaded the latest version of OpenCore.efi.
  5. I vaulted OpenCore using sign.command.
  6. I Signed OpenCore.efi for UEFI Secure Boot.
My latest EFI folder is attached for reference. The files in this folder are not vaulted or signed for UEFI Secure Boot.

macOS 13.3.1 (a)

I also updated macOS from 13.3.1 to 13.3.1 (a) using System Preferences.

Screenshot of About This Mac showing that macOS has been updated to 13.3.1 (a)

Attachments

• Update 21 OC 0.9.2.zip
    5.6 MB · Views: 76
Last edited:
I've been following this guide, and I had some issues, as not everything was available, and I couldn't do it step by step. Now I have a bootable Ventura, but I don't have Ethernet and WiFi (Bluetooth works, though). Ethernet just doesn't exist in System Report. It showed up when I removed e1000=0 from the boot args, but it doesn't work and the system crashes anyway, so I went back to e1000=0.
I've compared the latest available Gobias' config.plist with mine but I see many different things... Any hint, please?

Argh! I've just read "Ethernet will be missing from System Information after updating to Ventura", so I can still follow some instructions without disturbing someone else.

Last edited:
Back