Contribute
Register

Gigabyte's 7-series mini-ITX boards finally official, available soon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Article: Gigabyte's 7-series mini-ITX boards finally official, available soon

Z77 also supports Crossfire or SLI but on a mini itx that obviously doesn't matter.

unless you can get your hands on one that actually do have dual PCI-E x16 (as few motherboards you can get from barebone systems)

The ASRock H77m-itx is under $99 at Newegg. I have not yet posted my build with it based on CBorg's IvyBrick Build, but it works great.

Z77 also supports Crossfire or SLI but on a mini itx that obviously doesn't matter.

well there are some shuttle board from barebone system that will work with few cases. not sure about OS X but will be great.

it's strange that this one doesn't have any eSATA, i would like to have least 2 eSATA (considering only 2 USB 3.0 on back)

DANG!!! No Thunderbolt!! :(

[[ducking & running for cover to avoid the wrath of thelostswede]]

I sense another G4 Cube mod coming on.... :headbang:

Lol... at least Gigabyte never made it look like they'd offer it. Trust me, not everyone at Gigabyte are happy about the way these boards ended up and with a bit of luck we might (this is by no means confirmed) get a higher-end version in a few months.

Is the only Wi-fi card that will work the $89.00 Sonnet one? Hope not, almost as expensive as the MB

No, you can get a cheap $10 Atheros AR9280/9287 card off eBay that'll work just fine, although the latter needs a slightly modified kext. Toleda has a guide in the network section. These boards take half size mini PCI Express cards, full size ones won't fit. There's apparently a Marvell card that works as well, but I can't remember the model.

So this might be a stupid question, but I'm trying to read between the lines here (mostly because I have a Z77-UP5-TH) --- does this have any positive outlook for the wifi/bluetooth PCI card that this comes with getting support for Hackintoshes? I'm having a real hard time getting a USB bluetooth dongle to work with my Hackintosh and my USB mouse is driving me nuts - I want to use my magic trackpad.

No, the Intel card won't work. There's someone in the forums (check the networking section) that found some Marvell card I think that works with both Wi-Fi and Bluetooth if I remember right.

The ASRock H77m-itx is under $99 at Newegg. I have not yet posted my build with it based on CBorg's IvyBrick Build, but it works great.

Yes, but it doesn't have an option to fit a mini PCI Express Wi-Fi card, nor does it have as many features (if you need them) as Gigabyte's H77 board.

OK. Depends on what you're looking for. For a basic replacement for my aging Mini, the ASRock is great.

Not sure about the PSU there - a little lightweight. I found a really sweet case here: http://www.ecosmartpc.com/ei7.html

I upgraded the PS to the 150W to have some headroom.

Box intended probably as a media server. I'm using it as a desktop.

What would be a good CPU for this? I've heard talk of the i3 processor with Intel HD 4000 graphics built in. I've never had a GPU built into the MB, save for on a laptop, and those were pretty lackluster. Is the HD 4000 better in terms of graphics? I'm considering building a Hackintosh for light, general usage. It's possible I'd want to view HD quality movies, maybe some light gaming. I have a pretty advanced PC setup for gaming, so really I don't even know *what* I'd be using the Hackintosh for, except to fiddle around with and learn from.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back