Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z87X UD5 TH Thunderbolt not working

Status
Not open for further replies.
See my post here for a possible solution to Thunderbolt functionality on this board.

I have the Mavericks install and z87X UD5 TH board, but haven't been able to enable the TB ports.

See my post here for a possible solution to Thunderbolt functionality on this board.

Success! Thunderbolt 27" Apple display works with steelsams method on the GA-Z87X-UD5 TH. First install windows 7 and all the gigabyte drivers from the motherboard installation cd-rom and connect the thunderbolt device and then boot back into OSX. I had to disconnect all other drives to be able to install windows 7. Cost me about 2 hours to figure that out, djeeze... Only issue I encounter is that it boots a bit slow and the mouse is inactive for like 30 seconds. Also the built in camera and speakers don't seem to work...

Thx a milli steelsam!!

how are windows drivers bring used by osx? And are you on ML or Maverick?

I have no idea how Windows is affecting the situation - maybe it alters how the motherboard presents its hardware during the initial boot process? That could be completely wrong... just guessing here. I'm using ML 10.8.5

stevep314, I haven't used a Thunderbolt Display so I don't think I'll be much help with the audio/camera issues. I did have slow start ups at one point though. I noticed that the slow boot went away after I completely removed all 6 Thunderbolt kexts but I could be remembering that incorrectly. It could have been something I did with the TB settings in BIOS.

I'm using Mavericks 10.9.1

@steelsam

Will try to remove the kexts. You mention them somewhere?
Did you have a screenshot of the thunderbolt settings in the bios?

The windows solution worked for me on my Asrock Extreme9/ac a couple of weeks ago. I thought you had to boot into windows every time and reboot into OSX to enable thunderbolt but proved myself wrong after further testing. I have no idea why windows seems to be needed. Maybe it writes something into the thunderbolt firmware on first use. I think the Asrock, Gigabyte, and Asus probably use the same thunderbolt parts so hopefully this will work on any thunderbolt z87 motherboard. It would be nice if someone could try this on a thunderbolt 2 card.

I tried Steelsam's idea of deleting the six thunderbolt kexts and it worked. Booting was back to normal speed and my external drive still appears.

Will try to remove the kexts. You mention them somewhere?

Look in System/Library/Extensions - there should be 6 Thunderbolt kexts.

Not Golden Build on Z87X UD5 TH ?
Thanks

All work for me without thunderbolt.

Integrated Wifi and bluetooth is ok. No freeze when using good memory stick. I use clover.

It is stable so i can make my guide ;)

These are the six kexts to remove in /System/Library/Extensions/...

AppleThunderboltDPAdapters.kext
AppleThunderboltEDMService.kext
AppleThunderboltIP.kext
AppleThunderboltNHI.kext
AppleThunderboltPCIAdapters.kext
AppleThunderboltUTDM.kext

@kangaroos did you get the stock Z87 UD5 TH motherboard wifi and bluetooth to work? How?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back