Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z87X UD5 TH Thunderbolt not working

Status
Not open for further replies.
Try this. If you have windows installed, boot into windows and make sure the Thunderbolt hardware is recognized. Restart into OSX without shutting down. It may take much longer to boot into OSX but hopefully you will have a mounted Thunderbolt drive.

This is the process I have to use to get my Asrock Extreme9/AC to work with Thunderbolt. I have the Thunderbolt options in the Bios set to disable "wake on Thunderbolt" and to force load the Thunderbolt option ROM.

Hello, i have the same motherboard and can't make it stable, freeze after 5 minutes or 2 hours. Do you have do guide ?

I need mainly kext used and bios configuration.

Well, I haven't had it freeze on me yet (thunderbolt stuff excluded) but I also haven't used it super extensively yet.

Are you running Mavericks or ML?

Well, I haven't had it freeze on me yet (thunderbolt stuff excluded) but I also haven't used it super extensively yet.

Are you running Mavericks or ML?

I use mavericks.

I have freeze in installation so there is no additional kext like little snitch or other stuff and freeze during using.

I think i have freeze too with sleep.

Do you have do particular bios configuration, do you use dsdt ?

I use recent chameleon, no dsdt and only fakesmc.

I'm using 10.8.5. No DSDT. For kexts from multibeast, I have ALC898, 3rd Party SATA, Fake SMC, and hnak's AppleIntelE1000e. I also deleted GenericUSBXHCI.kext.

Bootloader= Chimera v2.2.1

Customizations= Generate CPU states, Graphics Enabler=No, Use Kernel Cache, Desktop Power Management and Hibernate mode

System definition= Mac Pro 5,1

I also am running the internal WiFi card after following your (kangaroos) post on it but not the bluetooth.

Actually, after you asked me about freezes, I did have a couple freezes myself but they were always after about 2 hours. Since those, I've changed the bios a little: I disabled EIST in the advanced CPU settings and turned XHCI to Auto (instead of SmartAuto). EHCI hand off and XHCI hand off are both enabled too.

Since I made those changes I've run the system for about 10 hours straight with no freezes. However, I've read that certain RAM configurations can cause system freezes on gigabyte z87x boards. What RAM set up do you have? I have 32GB of Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz. If I get more freeze issues, I'll exchange them for some G. Skill sticks.

Post moved to General Hardware Discussion.

Thank you very much.

I have very similar installation.

From Multibeast ALC898, hnack E1000.
I have installed manually my Chameleon rev. 2281 (but i have try other version and 2 different version of clover)
I have installed manually FakeSMC 6.0 rev. 1011 (i have try older version 5.4, 5.3, 5.2)

So i think my problem don't come from bootloader, FakeSMC or other kexts

chameleon configuration CSTUsingSystemIO, C2State, C3State, C4State, Generate C et P States, No Graphic Enabler.

Smbios Mac Pro 5,1

No Kernel Cache but i don't think that change something. Don't use Desktop Power management and hibernate mode, i don't know what multi beast change with these configuration.

Same bios configuration, need to check EIST configuration.

I have 4 stick of G. Skill F3-12800CL10-8GBXL.

I have read a lot of people have problem when using 4 stick so actually i have only 2 in my computer and i have an uptime of 7h. Perhaps need another memory kit for have 4 sticks on the motherboard.

I will check DesktopPower Management, hibernate mode and EIST to be like you, if no freeze after 24h i add memory stick one by one.

My computer is always up because it have my itunes library share with Apple TV and for video render so i will quickly detect if the system is not stable.

Yea, I've heard about the 4 stick RAM issues too - let me know how yours goes. I'm going on about 15 hours uptime with no freezes. I also noticed that my previous freezes occurred during long data transfer times from a firewire back up drive. Just fyi, not sure if it was coincidence or not.

Switching back to the topic of thunderbolt, do you have a Windows partition/drive installed on your system?

Yea, I've heard about the 4 stick RAM issues too - let me know how yours goes. I'm going on about 15 hours uptime with no freezes. I also noticed that my previous freezes occurred during long data transfer times from a firewire back up drive. Just fyi, not sure if it was coincidence or not.

Switching back to the topic of thunderbolt, do you have a Windows partition/drive installed on your system?

No, i don't have windows partition, i use only macos.

Uptime with 2 memory sticks : 8:20 up 1 day, 29 secs, 2 users, load averages: 1,15 1,29 1,23

If anybody want use this card they should think about using 2 or 4 memory sticks.

I have read Corsair Vengeance Pro solve the problem for a lot of people.

PS : EIST always enable (i haven't reboot yet) so don't think freeze come from this parameter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back