Gigabyte Z87N-WIFI Hard lockup once in a while

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
ROG STRIX Z370-I GAMING
CPU
Graphics
On-board
So I have a 10.9.1 build centered around the Z87N-WIFI/i7-4770 and built-in Intel 4600 graphics. The system is 100% stable but ONCE IN A WHILE (say, once a week maybe) the box will just freeze. No mouse cursor movement, no NUMLOCK, just a hard lock up that requires a reboot. It will happen while writing an email, browsing the web, or just idling.

Since it is so infrequent, I don't really care too much but I thought I'd just throw it out there to see if anyone can advise. System temperatures are fine.

The only thing I did NOT do when installing was install the network card drivers -- I am using the ones built into Mavericks since they seem to work. Could this be the culprit?

Do you have any USB devices attached? I noticed my first freeze after attaching a USB 3 device.

Do you use the built in ethernet for accessing the internet?

Since I use wifi, I have disabled the built in ethernet in BIOS, and the lock-ups do not happen anymore in my system (same Z87N-WIFI motherboard).

Yes I use the network card for internet traffic and I also have a USB 3 drive connected for Time Machine. It's usually off except when I do a Time Machine backup though.

As I said in my original thread, I'm using Mavericks' built in driver for now.

The freezes are now more frequent, but only occur after I put the comp to sleep.

Going to disable sleep completely for now and see what happens.

The freezes are now more frequent, but only occur after I put the comp to sleep.

Going to disable sleep completely for now and see what happens.

If you are using the wifi/bluetooth card that came with the board that is most likely to be your problem. I had the same issue and the problem was the bluetooth, I replaced the wifi card with a BCM4322 & a IOGEAR GBU521 dongle and no more issues. My advice will be to remove the wifi card and see if that will fix the problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back