4. Plus
  5. Portable
  6. Power Mac
  7. PowerBook
  8. Quadra
  9. SE
  10. Xserve
Hey all,

This is my noob foray into Hackintosh building. I've been frankensteining PC's for years though.

I've installed ML 8.0 and ran multibeast per the guides and successful settings on this page of the forum:
http://www.tonymacx86.com/attachmen...7x-ud5h-gt-640-i7-3770k-multibeast-config.jpg

Running via hard wired ethernet to my router. 17 other boxes (mostly mac) in the office on the same router with no problems.

I seem to be up and running so far, but the network is very slow or just drops out entirely. I've been opening up the Network control panel right after startup and it will take 5 min for DHCP to even pull an IP address, and even then it's WAY slow or drops the IP entirely. All other machines on network are getting good cable modem speeds.

Running a ping to my server results in many instances of this message:
request timeout for icmp_seq xx

But the time for each packet is as good, if not better than a server ping from other machines on the LAN.

Any thoughts?

I bought all components (except Pioneer BDR) via the links of the Tonymac buyers guide. Please note, I did NOT install the mini card for the WiFi. Here are my specs:

Gigabyte Z77X-UP5TH (running F4 BIOS, which is what it came with)
i7-3770K 3.5
Gigabyte GTX670
Sandisk 480GB as boot drive
32GB Ram
Corsair HX650W

Ditch the onboard Gigabyte NIC and use a supported PCIe NIC, one that runs with native Apple kexts. You'd get increased throughput, stable, no drops even at heavy loads, WOL, and no weirdo behaviors.

Thanks, I've ordered one of the Sonnet Presto cards, but I also tried just installing all of the network drivers from the latest Multibeast, and that got things working. I'm going to try and pull them out one at a time to see which one actually sorted me out. I'll update this thread with that once I've got it.

thx!

Hi there,
Just to follow up, I did get the mobo ethernet working, but as soon as I dropped in the Sonnet Presto card, neither is working. I've tried pulling out all the sys extensions that Multibeast installs, and re-installing them one at a time, as well as going without any of them. I can occasionally get the mobo NIC running again if I pull out the Sonnet card, but the Sonnet does not work, and when it's in, neither do.

I also flashed the mobo bios up to f9 in hopes that it would solve the problem.

My eventual goal is to have 1 NIC for LAN/WAN and a separate one for my iSCSI Drobo, so having both working is somewhat important.

Any advice?

Should I go to 10.8.1?

thx!

A

I was getting an issue where my ethernet didn't work from a cold boot/restart on this board. Don't think I've had any particularly bad speeds or noticed any connection drops though.

Since I updated the Bios to F14 the cold boot problem seems to be fixed though I see you've tried that already.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back