Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z690 Aero G + i5-12600K + AMD RX 6800 XT

Casey, first of all thank you for the great job you are doing on these hackintoshes. Would you happen to know what can be the problem with Skype calls on my hackintosh? I saw the instruction on submitting problem reports and I will do a full submission if you say that more information is needed. I haven't included it here because it seems not necessary for my case.

I have built a hackintosh following your instructions and tools you provided. I'm very happy with the build as almost everything works perfectly except for one thing. I can't get the video on my counterpart during video calls in Skype app. Calling via Skype inside a browser works just fine. I have tried macOS Ventura on the same build, tried resetting CMOS, reinstalling Skype. Nothing works. Skype works just fine on two other hackintoshes and a macbook pro. I'm on macOS 14.3.1. CPU is i5-13500, GPU is RX 6800 XT, RAM is Team Group 32 GB. OC is version 0.9.8 updated via HackinDROM.
Hello @AnZilla,

Welcome to the forum. Some questions:
  • If you open Skype -> Settings -> Audio and Video, are you able to see video from your webcam?
  • If video is shown in Settings but not during an actual call, my first (silly) question is whether you're enabling the "video" checkbox during the call...

Hello CaseySJ,

I planning make 2 hacks this week; first one with GA Z790 Aero G + i5 14600KF + RX 6600 XT. Do You think this guide is good for it?

Hello CaseySJ,

I planning make 2 hacks this week; first one with GA Z790 Aero G + i5 14600KF + RX 6600 XT. Do You think this guide is good for it?
Yes I believe this build guide and accompanying EFI folder can accommodate the Z790 Aero G. If you search this thread for keyword Z790 you'll find a few good posts about user experiences.

Here's one of my posts on the topic:

Does the wake happen when you sleep using Apple menu or just on scheduled sleep?
either one really.

Does anyone else here have sleep working consistently? It seems to be a common problem that it doesn't work the second time! Wondering if there's any common fix for it or if no one has solved it on this board.

It's odd that it works fine the first time. so the functionality exists and works properly. but something changes after the first time that makes it not work the second time around, where it stays booted with a black screen.

Any insight, @beelzebozo or anyone else?

Thanks all!

** BIOS F23 Additional Settings **

• Above 4G DecodingEnabled
  • Above 4G MMIO BIOS assignmentEnabled
    • Then a new option will appear under it:
  • Re-Size BAR SupportEnabled
    • Enable this if using a supported GPU (AMD RX 6000 series)
    • Also set Booter → ResizeAppleGpuBars → 0 in config.plist
View attachment 567249 View attachment 567250

A link to this has been added to the top of Post 1.
Just solved repeated sleep on my 14700KF with Vega 56! Believe it or not, it was the opposite of this for me. Above 4G decoding and all 3 off. We knew the Re-Size BAR Support would be off since it's an older card, so the other two were a surprise. Funny because my gut always felt like Above 4G Decoding and Hackintosh wouldn't play well but it was always recommended to enable it.

#trustyourgut

Hello @AnZilla,

Welcome to the forum. Some questions:
  • If you open Skype -> Settings -> Audio and Video, are you able to see video from your webcam?
  • If video is shown in Settings but not during an actual call, my first (silly) question is whether you're enabling the "video" checkbox during the call...
Thank you for your reply, Casey! It's yes on both counts: I can see my own video. I can also see my own video during the call. My problem is not with my own video feed. I can't see the video of the caller on the other side. And I do turn the video for the caller in the settings. During the call there are three dots for a contextual menue (called More) in Skype calls and there is an option for Turning off incoming video or Allowing it. I did check it. No good. Skype workes fine on my other hackintoshes and Windows PCs. There must be something with this particular build. I also have windows 11 installed on the same pc on a separate Nvme drive. Skype works just fine in it. Facetime, video calling in Telegram, Skype calls in a browser work alright in macOS hackintosh on this machine, too. I tried Ventura on the same machine with the same result.

Just solved repeated sleep on my 14700KF with Vega 56! Believe it or not, it was the opposite of this for me. Above 4G decoding and all 3 off. We knew the Re-Size BAR Support would be off since it's an older card, so the other two were a surprise. Funny because my gut always felt like Above 4G Decoding and Hackintosh wouldn't play well but it was always recommended to enable it.

#trustyourgut
Yes, it involves those settings being checked according to your setup.

Yes, it involves those settings being checked according to your setup.
To be fair it's pretty clear it should be on, and not just here but most recommended BIOS settings on hackintosh builds tend to have it on - - not a knock on @CaseySJ at all.
But yeah we could totally update that post to say try it off if you have sleep / wake issues, or something to that effect

So I'd like to reiterate, for new (and previous) users coming to this thread, there are TWO separate issues that are causing "Your computer shut down because of a problem"

1. Sleep / wake issues, create a sleep wake failure in the Logs/DiagnosticReports folder, which seems to endlessly trigger this popup

2. As @mattbatt skillfully discovered, CPUFriendDataProvider.kext can get corrupted, which also triggers this popup.

Both of these cleared will solve that popup happening

Though oddly, I'm seeing a shutdown stall file in the DiagnosticReports folder every shutdown / reboot but it works fine with no visible errors or popups. However I can see this file directly or in the console

Thank you for your reply, Casey! It's yes on both counts: I can see my own video. I can also see my own video during the call. My problem is not with my own video feed. I can't see the video of the caller on the other side. And I do turn the video for the caller in the settings. During the call there are three dots for a contextual menue (called More) in Skype calls and there is an option for Turning off incoming video or Allowing it. I did check it. No good. Skype workes fine on my other hackintoshes and Windows PCs. There must be something with this particular build. I also have windows 11 installed on the same pc on a separate Nvme drive. Skype works just fine in it. Facetime, video calling in Telegram, Skype calls in a browser work alright in macOS hackintosh on this machine, too. I tried Ventura on the same machine with the same result.
During video calls on Skype, does your video appear normally on the other participants’ computers?

If only their video fails to appear on your system, does Skype have an option to use hardware decoding? Can that option be turned off to see what happens?

Another option is to install fresh copy of macOS into a new APFS Volume on the internal NVMe SSD and see if Skype video works normally during a call. If so, it tells us that there’s a conflict of some kind in the main installation of macOS.

and my Blackmagic kexts started working again (no matter how many times I uninstalled and reinstalled, it would not work). Sad it took a fresh reinstall but the computer is also running slightly faster too!
Hello
What version of Desktop Video did you installed ? What BlackMagicDesign hardware do you have ?
Can you describe your Desktop Video kext installation Steps ?
Thanks in advance

Back