Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z690 Aero G + i5-12600K + AMD RX 6800 XT

Do you by any chance have ACPI errors during boot? I have some that have always been there and didn't seem to cause a problem. However since this started happening, I notice a pause when it hits them sometimes. It never pauses on them when it is going to boot properly, but it doesn't always pause when it's broken. Let me know if you have anything similar...
We see these ACPI parsing errors frequently. They are usually benign, which doesn't mean always benign. It just means we should first look elsewhere.

Ah. Well it's the opposite for me, it only boots properly maybe 10% of the time.
Have you tried a CMOS Reset?

Another option is to create a new APFS Volume on your existing NVMe SSD using Disk Utility. Format that volume as APFS and install macOS onto it using the same EFI folder you're using now. If the boot problem disappears on this new fresh copy of macOS, it will at least tell us that (a) OpenCore EFI is okay, (b) computer hardware/BIOS is okay, and (c) something is fishy in your current version of macOS.

Have you tried a CMOS Reset?

Another option is to create a new APFS Volume on your existing NVMe SSD using Disk Utility. Format that volume as APFS and install macOS onto it using the same EFI folder you're using now. If the boot problem disappears on this new fresh copy of macOS, it will at least tell us that (a) OpenCore EFI is okay, (b) computer hardware/BIOS is okay, and (c) something is fishy in your current version of macOS.
Have not tried a CMOS reset, just a BIOS reset.

The APFS volume thing is a good idea. I forgot you can do that with APFS so easily. A reinstall was going to be my next idea, so I'll try it that way.

Here are all my disks since you asked. I have a bootcamp partition on the samsung SSD, and a windows data drive on the 2 TB samsung NVME.the mac drive and main boot is a WD black 500. the other drives are for data and my time machine

1705407686845.png

Has anyone installed the Bios F28 version on
Gigabyte Z690 Aero G.

Wanted to document this.....

Symptoms:

Long boot time with Monterey 12.7.2 on a Western Digital SN850X

Blackmagic write performance numbers on boot (macOS) disk were terrible - 300MB/sec

Root cause:

I had made a full time machine backup in November. Even though I had turned off automatic backups, macOS had been keeping a snapshot for time machine.

CLI:

tmutil listlocalsnapshots /

to show any local time machine snapshots

tmutil deletelocalsnapshots

to delete them

After doing this, I rebooted, system booted quickly like it used to, BlackMagic numbers returned to expected values.

Wanted to document this.....

Symptoms:

Long boot time with Monterey 12.7.2 on a Western Digital SN850X

Blackmagic write performance numbers on boot (macOS) disk were terrible - 300MB/sec

Root cause:

I had made a full time machine backup in November. Even though I had turned off automatic backups, macOS had been keeping a snapshot for time machine.

CLI:

tmutil listlocalsnapshots /

to show any local time machine snapshots

tmutil deletelocalsnapshots

to delete them

After doing this, I rebooted, system booted quickly like it used to, BlackMagic numbers returned to expected values.
I recently ran into a similar (but not quite the same) problem with Time Machine. In my case I had created a separate APFS volume on a 2TB NVMe SSD for Time Machine. I was sharing the same 2TB SSD with both macOS and Time Machine, albeit on different APFS volumes.

As I started copying a series of large files to my macOS volume, I noticed that the 2TB SSD was filling up much more rapidly than the size of incoming files. That, of course, was due to Time Machine making hourly snapshots.

Last edited:
Has anyone's iMessage randomly stopped working recently? Mine hasn't worked correctly for a week despite doing all the usual troubleshooting steps (disabling Message in iCloud, signing out of Apple ID completely, resetting NVRAM, etc). Messages will randomly sync, but nothing will send correctly. When I sync messages, I stuck on "Downloading Messages from iCloud..." but it never does anything. I wonder if this is related to the crackdown on Beeper Mini.

Edit: I'm on Ventura 13.6.1 with Broadcom BRCM20702 Wi-Fi/Bluetooth.

Edit2: Just noticed that I get a "Please enter a valid serial number" when I check coverage on Apple's website. I've used this SN since Day 1. Could this be the issue? Should I generate a new SN?

Last edited:
I wanted to follow up on this. It does seem that my Ventura install is just corrupted somehow. I added another APFS volume to the same drive, and installed Sonoma on it. Not exactly the best test case since it's not the same version of MacOS... but Ventura used to work just fine and if I'm going to have to reinstall, I might as well go for the upgrade while I'm at it. Anyway, I've rebooted many times now, no issues. It's just the Ventura volume that chokes.

Has anyone's iMessage randomly stopped working recently? Mine hasn't worked correctly for a week despite doing all the usual troubleshooting steps (disabling Message in iCloud, signing out of Apple ID completely, resetting NVRAM, etc). Messages will randomly sync, but nothing will send correctly. When I sync messages, I stuck on "Downloading Messages from iCloud..." but it never does anything. I wonder if this is related to the crackdown on Beeper Mini.
The Messages app on my system is still working (Ventura and Sonoma). I haven’t heard of “Beeper Mini”.

Edit2: Just noticed that I get a "Please enter a valid serial number" when I check coverage on Apple's website. I've used this SN since Day 1. Could this be the issue? Should I generate a new SN?
This is actually correct. We want the warranty coverage check to fail, which means we’re not reusing someone else’s real-Mac serial number.

Back