Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z690 Aero G + i5-12600K + AMD RX 6800 XT

@beelzebozo how is it running with the 13700? I was just looking at upgrading. Microcenter has the 13700K for $329 and the 14700K for $379. Also looking at 128GB of corsair vengeance ddr4 3600 RGB memory.
It's running fine. I'm also on the latest F27 BIOS. A bit hotter than the 12700K but worth it IMO.

I got it for $269 a few weeks ago cause Micro Center had it at the price online and when I saw that, I had Best Buy match it and they did!

Make sure your BIOS is on at least F20 for added support.

Actually I’m wondering if that was just a lucky fluke! There isn’t a logical explanation that I can think of. :)
And I was able to reproduce it exactly and reproduce the solution.

I know people said to disable CPUFriend and CPUFrienddataprovider for updates (even smaller updates). I did not do that. After the updates, CPUpowermanagement, sleep/wake were problems and nothing would work except reloading a different smbios.

I'm guessing, had I obeyed lol, maybe things would be different. But little did I know so many problems would occur. I still don't know the WHY this is.

W
It's running fine. I'm also on the latest F27 BIOS. A bit hotter than the 12700K but worth it IMO.

I got it for $269 a few weeks ago cause Micro Center had it at the price online and when I saw that, I had Best Buy match it and they did!

Make sure your BIOS is on at least F20 for added support.
Have you run benchmarks to see the performance? Geekbench/ Cinemark

W

Have you run benchmarks to see the performance? Geekbench/ Cinemark
No. I don’t really care much about benchmarking in macOS since my daily driver is Windows 11, but I could run one tomorrow and post results, although I think I did with the 12700K at some point.

No. I don’t really care much about benchmarking in macOS since my daily driver is Windows 11, but I could run one tomorrow and post results, although I think I did with the 12700K at some point.

@slickdawg

Screenshot 2023-11-22 at 08.33.07.png

Screenshot 2023-11-22 at 08.33.39.png

Geekbench Result

CPU set to default speed

Last edited:
A question for the experts out there...

I understand that my 6800xt is about the best video card I can have right now, and possibly for the foreseeable future. That's fine; I don't do anything on macOS that's putting a strain on that card.

I do, however, dual-boot to windows and do a bit of gaming. I'm tempted to update to a 4070 Nvidia, but have a few questions:

1. What would be the procedure to install? Many of the guides I've seen seem to require information that you can only get from the booted system, but I have to imagine that if you install the card, the machine won't boot?​

2. I've seen this guide and think I can follow it, but I'm not certain that's the best way of going about accomplishing what I'm trying to do? It seems easier than Rehabman's guide, but I could be missing something.​
Thanks for any insight or advice!
I can't speak authoritatively about Nvidia, I just know its a pain for people in the Hackintosh community. Most AMD models seem to work well. I've got a 6800XT, and it's been flawless. When I was buying my 6800, there was not that much difference in the 6800 and 6900 performance wise, but there was a big difference price wise. I would look at a 6950XT if I wanted to upgrade. No idea if the new 7000 series AMD cards are compatible or not.

Thanks @beelzebozo !

One more question - did you have to make any EFI changes going from F8 bios to F26/27 ?
No that I can recall.

What was import was setting max Aperture size in the BIOS to 1024mb for sleep to work and Re-size bar settings in BIOS if using it to enable the 3 settings for it (they are under Aperture). I mentioned that I few posts back.

I have been on F8 as my daily driver for a very long time with OC 0.91 for almost 6 months, using Dortania's guide as background info and following CaseySJ's guide to the T (well as least I think I have :confused:). It has been very solid.

Took photos of the BIOS setting, updated to F27 (default BIOS settings, followed my photos, double checked with CaseySJ's guide), and stuck with the Apple boot logo.

Also tried F26, F25, F24 same results (I made sure all the BIOS settings are correct, especially resize bar), flashed back to F8 and it boots fine.

[I have read pages 250 onwards and saw some of you had no problem switching back and forth BIOS, and only had problems with sleep using 12th Gen cpu for anything over F8, sleep is less of an issue for me as I prefer to turn off my Hack, but I am hoping to get the BIOS security update].

So I figured my config.plist must be very bad...

I tried starting over, and the closest guide I can find for this setup with MB is the ** OpenCore 0.8.3 Mini-Guide **

I wanted to update OC to 0.96 too, but couldn't find any guide to follow, Dortania's OpenCore Install Guide only documents up to 0.91, read other's comments elsewhere with newer options since 0.95 and don't know what to do :(

Would anyone be kind enough to help me out please, so I could update my BIOS to F25 or later?

Still using Monterey 12.6.5 (planning to upgrade to Ventura), 12600K, 128GB DDR4, Asrock Challenger Pro 6600 XT, Maple Ridge Thunderbolt Card (not fully functional, only the usb seems to work, I have tried to study up but I am very confused how to get it working, only managed to put others' bits and pieces into it)..

Last edited:
No idea if the new 7000 series AMD cards are compatible or not.
Not supported by macOS, and unlikely to ever be.

The question is what a RTX4000 would bring over a RX6800/6900, and whether it is worth dealing with two GPUs in a dual-boot system, rather than two distinct, single OS, systems.

Since the Gigabyte Z690 Aero G has a single PCIe slot from the CPU and suitable for a GPU, I think the case is closed.

Back